Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fury vs Joshua: Who has better resume?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casuals applying triangularity to compare resumes.

It is who you fought, when you fought, and how you won that matters more than just the name. Otherwise, Leon Spinks should be better than Liston, Frazier, and Foreman because he beat Ali. Would he have beaten a 60s or early 70s Ali though?

And triangularity doesn't work either. Frazier was Ali's toughest fights but Foreman made easy work of him. Yet, Ali beat Foreman by KO. Styles make fights.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post

It's easy to hold a belt if you defend against the guys wilder fought. Ortiz was the only top 10 opponent he defended against and he was about 40. If wilder had been fighting the parkers, whytes, Joyce's, zhangs, ruizs, hes out of there a long long time ago. He artificially extended his career and title run with a series of easy fights. Joshua, fury, ruiz did not do that but you seem to be giving wilder credit for easy fights instead of criticism
      Easier... But not easy.

If he fought half decent opponents he'd have just been another short term titlist. I'm sure of that. He's just not a very good boxer.

But holding onto a belt still comes with a certain pressure. He was a champion for a spell. It adds a bit to every victory. He had something, even just from a mentality perspective.

Comment

Obviously AJ.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
          AJ also has three dominant losses on his resume.
          That is what happens when you fight good competition. Wilder 3x is not a great competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post

I don't doubt Zhang is the better fighter for a second. But you can't underestimate what it takes to hold a belt. I don't rate Wilder at all, but he did something not many did.

Plenty of new champions fold. Fury, Ruiz... Wilder defended. It elevates his resume.
            Zhang smashes wilder.

he punches harder too

Comment

Originally posted by HeadShots View Post

Zhang smashes wilder.

he punches harder too
              I think I said similar.

I give Wilder credit for retaining a belt. It's the only thing he has on his resume.

Comment

Working...
              X