No announcement yet.

Alvarez vs Munguia in May '24

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alvarez vs Munguia in May '24

Michael Benson (online boxing editor for talkSPORT dot com), is reporting that Saul vs Jaime is going to happen in May if Jaime beats Ryder in January with Benavidez being considered for Diez y Seis weekend.

not a fan of this....tf is happening? I thought the wbc was going to order Saul/David if/when David beat Andrade?
    Last edited by El_Mero; 11-29-2023, 01:50 PM.
    Smash Smash likes this.

Not the top of my list for Canelo but not a horrible fight either. If it happens, I'll definitely watch.

Comment

Terrible news if so, Munguia is an awful opponent for Canelo. Benavidez has earned his shot at the undisputed 168lb championship and if I were him I'd do nothing and fight no one at this point.

Comment

WBC reveals current slate of mandatory challengers

David Benavidez is officially Canelo’s mandatory challenger. Sulaiman has said he’ll order the fight in May,

This was announced at their convention in early November!

Comment

Originally posted by 4truth View Post
          Not the top of my list for Canelo but not a horrible fight either. If it happens, I'll definitely watch.
          He'll give a better fight that Jermell but he still doesnt deserve it imo.

Comment

Gonna pass on this one. Munguía is a snorefest fighter along, similar to Haney and rugaroo. Canelo should to take on Benavidez next
            El_Mero El_Mero likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Mero View Post
              Michael Benson (online boxing editor for talkSPORT dot com), is reporting that Saul vs Jaime is going to happen in May if Jaime beats Ryder in January with Benavidez being considered for Diez y Seis weekend.

not a fan of this....tf is happening? I thought the wbc was going to order Saul/David if/when David beat Andrade?
              Why am I not surprised
              This would be his second fight on his contracted three fights for PBC , right ?
              His third fight will most likely be the other Charlo and off to retirement after that imo
              El_Mero El_Mero likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Mero View Post

What's his source?

Comment

I seriously doubt it. PBC isn’t gonna sign Canelo to a 100+ million dollar 3 fight deal and have 1 of those 3 fights be vs a non PBC fighter.

Mungia has done nothing to deserve this payday. Oscar has kept him away from quality opposition for years. Must be a reason for that.

Comment

They're letting Canelo go to DAZN for the Mungia fight for logistical reasons.

PBC is currently trying to lock in a TV deal, but with no deal in place they'd have to start planning Canelo vs a PBC fighter as an independently produced PPV. PBC doesn't have the infrastructure to self-produce a broadcast the way Top Rank does.

So rather than have Canelo sit out the spring while they figure this out, they're essentially loaning him to DAZN so he doesn't miss out on a spring fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X