Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't "The Contender" take off and succeed the way "The Ultimate Fighter" has?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

because boxing fights between two bad fighters are completely different from fights with good fighters. In mma if the fighters are evenly matched a fight between bad fighters looks the same as one between good fighters.

Comment

I think Sylvester Stallone didn't really belong either.

Comment

Originally posted by MissDeeCole View Post
        HAHAH sylvester stallone is a fool. i remember when my boy sergio mora was beating manfredos ass on the finale. this foo said "wow this is the fight of the year!!" HAHAH the contender could have done a lot of things. 1) show more training footage 2) show the entire round

Comment

Sly did hid best, and "Rocky" is immortal, but the younger generation wants the here and now.

I've always loved the "Contender" because I've met and worked out with two fighters from the show. I love the "Ultimate fighter" to though. If its combat, Im interested.

Comment

I liked the show but it could have been better, and I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on why boxing's version of a reality show didn't become a big hit like the UFC version has. For one, I think theres alot of ways it could have been done better, like maybe if HBO was in charge of it, since theyve done such a good job with 24/7. what are some things that would make as successful "Contender" or Contender spinoff if you were in charge
            Overproduction weighed the series down in cost and did not give the viewer a reason to want to see these guys fight. How do you decide on who you want to cheer for or not on 10 mins of bad editing?

TUF didn't have money for flash, so they pretty much built on substance.

Comment

Because they made the fights look like Rocky or something. I wanted to see the full fight. They added ****ty sound effects and music to build up the next big punch. It was rediculous!

Comment

Cos it ******.....

Comment

I liked the show but it could have been better, and I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on why boxing's version of a reality show didn't become a big hit like the UFC version has. For one, I think theres alot of ways it could have been done better, like maybe if HBO was in charge of it, since theyve done such a good job with 24/7. what are some things that would make as successful "Contender" or Contender spinoff if you were in charge
                  The ultimate fighter actually created world class fighters like Kenny Florian (even though he was just iced)

If the Contender was actually featuring GOOD upcoming prospects with Knockout power then I'm sure it would be popular.

Comment

Agreed, the action-cutting of the tv-show didn't help it..

Also the contender didn't produce any elite fighters.

Boxingfights are won and lost by smaller margins than in the MMA, and it makes it impossible to find a "diamond in the rough", who isn't signed, and who hasn't already wasted to many important years of their carrer.
                    Getting Bika and Soliman to appear in the show seemed like the best they could do. Though not consideret world-elite, they were rated high, and anyone of the "rough diamonds" who could impress against them, had to be taken seriosly.

Noone could...
                    Last edited by FreshOutOfHell; 10-06-2009, 05:08 AM.

Comment

I like UFC for real, I know I might get mang wanged because of this, but i realy dont know why so many boxing fans hate it and say "they roll gayly around the ground" or w.e, it's really really hard to survive once your on the ground, those guys are real pro's, they would snap both of our arms in a heartbeat in that situation. people just gotta realize their DIFFERENT sports...

Comment

Working...
                      X