Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jermell Charlo: I Wish We Could Create a Union In Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They need to come up with a plan for free healthcare for life. A fighter could end up spending everything they made and more due to the after effects of fighting. That shouldnt happen.

Comment

What a shame. They waste their primes, sit on the shelves for long stretches of time, growl and bark a lot, and now they're hinting about their exit and worried about their retirement.

Regular working people commuting to work six days a week to feed their families are more damage goods. They deserve better pays and healthcare than these inactive people are. They fight once a year and they think they're entitled to a lot of things. You fools just retire and should have never picked this profession in the first place and looked for regular jobs just like billions of people do on this earth. Just imagining what these fools do after they completed their one fight obligation makes me... I can't even imagine myself doing nothing for long periods of time.

Comment

Do any of you know what a Union is? Some of you are mentioning that he shouldn't complain about a measly 12% because it upped his value and he's making a lot of money. He knows that with a Union, he will still have to pay fees, but he wants to ensure that his fees goes into paying for health benefits, receiving a pension plan and maybe having a Union Steward who can speak on their behalf regarding suspensions from the sport. This will benefit the lesser paid fighters. And no, Al Haymon wouldn't run something like this, it would be comprised of current and/or former fighters...... In order for this to work, they need to unionize in all contact sports that involves fighting, not just boxing. MMA, Kickboxing, Power Slap League, etc. Boxing may can start it off because boxers have been talking about this for years, but the other contact sports should soon follow under the same exact union so that it can become stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by jqside View Post
          What a shame. They waste their primes, sit on the shelves for long stretches of time, growl and bark a lot, and now they're hinting about their exit and worried about their retirement.

Regular working people commuting to work six days a week to feed their families are more damage goods. They deserve better pays and healthcare than these inactive people are. They fight once a year and they think they're entitled to a lot of things. You fools just retire and should have never picked this profession in the first place and looked for regular jobs just like billions of people do on this earth. Just imagining what these fools do after they completed their one fight obligation makes me... I can't even imagine myself doing nothing for long periods of time.
          Actually, only a small minority are concerned about their future predicament as boxers.
          The vast majority knew what they've gotten themselves into. They'd rather not make any ruckus about it.
          Some are even college-educated like Algieri and others. In other words, no one was forced into it.
          It's not like they didn't have any choice. They got hundreds of choices like most people do.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
            Jermell Charlo, the undisputed junior middleweight champion and ... intrepid union organizer? The Houston, Texas native, who holds the IBF, WBC, WBO, and WBA 154-pound titles, is one of the better paid and successful fighters in boxing but that did not stop him from mentioning, in a recent interview, his desire to see the sport
            [Click Here To Read More]
            Now he cares. Says where his mind is at. We all gotta get old.

Comment

That wife of his, and all her kids, were manageable with puppy love visions and selected fights....

..but now those kids are growing and needing more, wifey getting cozy with unsustainable lifestyle spending (as often as mell fights, plus hes sounding old), and Timmy licking his fists clean of blood from his recent victims - staying active, paid, n motivated...

Mel's shortsightedness is catching up to him but lucky for him, with the right preperation and mindset he can beat Timmy (looking worse for mell as time goes tho. Tim is many levels above his last opponent which took mell two fights to beat convincingly) and maybe get involved with cash cow fights with the winner of Spence/Crawford

Idk if Mell has the cojones tho, seeing as he hasn't even confirmed the fight deal with Spence/Crawford winner, nor has he showed interest... unless I'm missing some pivotal interviews...

Comment

Originally posted by Since1976 View Post
                ?! He needs to go back and look at how him and his boys negotiate lol. Jermell joined the club and became part of the problem.. fight intro showing your house talking champion lifestyle.. he played the game and now the game is playing him and he doesn't like it. Bottom line, too late, get what fights are left to fill your pockets.
                actually, you and other posters are talking about the wrong Charlo. THIS charlo, Jermell, has unified his division and ducked no one while knocking out his top 10 opposition including the likes of harrison, Lubin, and castano. You've got him confused with his brother that hasn't fought in 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                X