No announcement yet.

"The back hand"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The back hand"

I've noticed this expression occurring a lot in commentary all of a sudden, maybe just the last year or so. A fighter "hitting someone with the back hand".

Unless I've missed a memo somewhere, giving someone a "back hand", is what it says, the back of the hand. Kind of how most domestic violence charges go. Not someone punching with the hand that's at the back.

Jokers, man.

While we're at it, that announcer with the dreads and glasses who looks like a goat can **** off as well.

I've noticed this too. I think it's something one person heard then parrots it, and more and more people repeat it because it makes them appear knowledgeable. There's a poser in my gym that goes around saying this like he just discovered some sort of boxing secret, it's silly.
    !! Anorak !! Anorak likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
      I've noticed this too. I think it's something one person heard then parrots it, and more and more people repeat it because it makes them appear knowledgeable. There's a poser in my gym that goes around saying this like he just discovered some sort of boxing secret, it's silly.
      What pisses me off is that it makes me doubt myself when I hear it.

Idiots, man.

Comment

likely some MMA influence?

Or just a drop in IQ because people don't know their left from their right anymore?

Comment

Lot more southpaws now. Wasn't uncommon for commentary to call the left hand a right hand in those situations, which is obnoxious. What do you want them to call it? The rear hand? People like you would be making all kinds of jokes about that too. Back of the hand strikes are illegal in boxing anyways, so you would never use it to refer to a crossbody strike in a boxing setting anyways. And it's not always a cross or straight. So, since you're so smart, what's the easy, single syllable fix to refer to the hand that's at the back whether it's a southpaw or orthodox fighter?

Also, giving someone the back of your hand colloquially means to reject something, or to express contempt. It needs to be expressed as a single word and typically called a "backhanded slap" to express an open-handed strike. The domestic abuse connotation isn't actually the common usage for that term. That's more on the Urban Dictionary side of connotations.

​​​​​

Comment

There's just something more funny about a back-handed slap than a regular slap.

I feel like if Will Smith had used a back hand on Chris Rock it would've been more acceptable to the general public.
            !! Anorak !! Anorak likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post
              Lot more southpaws now. Wasn't uncommon for commentary to call the left hand a right hand in those situations, which is obnoxious. What do you want them to call it? The rear hand? People like you would be making all kinds of jokes about that too. Back of the hand strikes are illegal in boxing anyways, so you would never use it to refer to a crossbody strike in a boxing setting anyways. And it's not always a cross or straight. So, since you're so smart, what's the easy, single syllable fix to refer to the hand that's at the back whether it's a southpaw or orthodox fighter?

Also, giving someone the back of your hand colloquially means to reject something, or to express contempt. It needs to be expressed as a single word and typically called a "backhanded slap" to express an open-handed strike. The domestic abuse connotation isn't actually the common usage for that term. That's more on the Urban Dictionary side of connotations.

​​​​​
              Pipe down, cupcake. Stay in your lane.

Comment

Working...
              X