Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ryan Garcia's Father: Ryan Would Only Do Davis Rematch at 140 and Allowed To Rehydrate To 'Normal' Weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phase III View Post
    Forget about rematch. First, your son needs to work on his defense, footwork, and get a trainer who will be the boss. Allowing your son to dictate the training is why he has not progressed to an elite level. Goosen allowed Ryan to be the boss which was a big mistake. Your son needs a no nonsense coach who doesn’t let Ryan have his way!
    Good post, I agree with most of it. I would like to see Ryan with Sugar Hill. I think the Kronk style is what Garcia needs.​ Khan had an opportunity to train with Steward and chose to be chea and go with someone else. I believe that changed the course of his career dramatically for the worse.

Originally posted by SugarAnt05 View Post
    Whats a normal weight? 160lb?
    Traditionally, a reasonable fight night weight for someone at 140 is anywhere from 150-155 (10-15 lbs). Anything over 15lbs is an unreasonable territory.

Historically, when Manny Pacquiao fought at lower weights he would rehydrate to 16-20 lbs which gave him an unfair advantage over those guys.

Another thing too was the times of the weigh-ins for Garcia being a lot later that normal. A fighter needs to get a proper amount of nutrients coupled with a night of sleep. Getting sleep is a HUGE factor when rehydrating for a fight the next day. The casuals don't consider this, but this is a 100% must have.

Originally posted by ramses07 View Post
    Bro lol stipulations weren’t the problem
    ​You can't say that with any sort of certainty. I believe they were.
    eco1 eco1 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarAnt05 View Post
      Whats a normal weight? 160lb?
      Exactly, weight is supposed to be the equitable variable in boxing. Rehydration clauses bring that equality as close to the opening bell as currently allowed, they are a good thing.
      icee icee likes this.

Comment

Boxingscene writers are lazy bums. Always some week old quote that we've already heard 10x.

Comment

why on earth would we need a rematch...
          icee icee likes this.

Comment

Fighters should never compromise their weight if it will make them uncomfortable. The Garcia team would have been wiser to ask for a smaller split of the purse instead. Had Garcia won, he could've easily made the money back. His road to the top, assuming he can make it there again, will be tougher.

Playing around with one's weight has proven to derail a few careers. Chad Dawson and Roy Jones Jr comes to mind.
            Last edited by Lefty0616; 04-29-2023, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Madison View Post
              why on earth would we need a rematch...
              Fighters who have proven rematches can come with different results:

Ali VS Spinks Leonard VS Duran
              Bowe VS Holyfield
              Simon Brown VS Terry Norris
              Pacquiao VS Erik Morales
              Ward VS Kovalev
              Corey Spinks VS Zab Judah
              Ruiz VS AJ
              And more......

Comment

Originally posted by Von Elias View Post
                Ryans team talkin about rematch like he won the fight...
                yeah but we had a fight where the clear favourite won very easily... do you feel you would like to see a rematch?

Comment

If you want to weigh 147 pounds for a 135 pound fight you’re the one who wants and needs the advantage there’s weight classes for a reason foh
                  icee icee DeeMoney DeeMoney like this.

Comment

Some fighters move around in weight (Hopkins, Pacquiao, etc.) but we remember guys like Hagler who always fought at middleweight. Fighters should fight at the weight where they are most efficient.
                    icee icee DeeMoney DeeMoney like this.

Comment

Originally posted by The Madison View Post

yeah but we had a fight where the clear favourite won very easily... do you feel you would like to see a rematch?
                      No i don't want to see it. I think Ryan quit and he showed nothing that makes me think he could win Tank even at 140

Comment

Working...
                      X