Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jeremias Ponce-Subriel Matias - Weigh-In Results From Minneapolis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheOneAboveAll View Post

Matias is popular on these boards because he's got an exciting style, but he also has many flaws. IMO, he is a physical beast with defensive flaws that are going to get exposed when he fights other top contenders. He has already had these flaws exposed by fighters like Ananyan and Jukembayev. He has poor head movement IMO, and he believes in his punching power a bit too much which results in him staying straight on line and in the pocket for too long. He's got a great chin, it seems, but he gets hit too cleanly, too often. Ponce is a good combination puncher (upstairs and down) who seems to have great timing. If he can prove to be as tough as most of his countrymen I can see this fight going long, which I think favors Ponce. It might go to decision, but I think Ponce is going to beat him down and end it before the final bell.
    Interesting take, though I only have seen Ponce's fight with Lewis Ritson so it seems to be me that he doesn't really have the best defense either nor possess much firepower, we will see tomorrow who will win in the war of attrition.

At the moment I see Matias having a competitive start and gradually breaking down his opponent.
    Last edited by Feroz; 02-24-2023, 06:24 PM.

Comment

The fact's are that this should be a hotly contested fight by two fighter's trying to reach the ultimate goal in their chosen sport, a world championship.
      Regardless of whom we pick to win, or via what route we believe are chosen fighter will win by, they are going to give it their utmost to take that IBF title.
      I've got Subriel Matias to knockout Jeremias Ponce, although Matias has a flawed defense he's knocked out everyone of his opponents in ruthless fashion.

Comment

Head movement or quick KO. Head movement will allow for a war of attrition!

Comment

Matias has much better defense than being given credit for. He has very good defense on the inside making the opponents miss or slips punches. I’m not saying he doesn’t get hit, he does but he also makes the other guy miss which is why he’s stronger down the stretch. Matias with a 9th rd TKO at the latest.
          Mexican_Puppet Mexican_Puppet likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyBX View Post

Always laughable hearing casual fight fans talk about a fighter has been “exposed” because he was “hurt” and has “poor head movement”…lmao. This is boxing, snowflake. You’re supposed to get punched. You’re supposed to bleed. You’re supposed to get your face swollen. Matias punches hard enough to injure fighters. He gets in range to deliver his powerful shots and gets his in return as well. Matias’ whole theme is to put opponents in the hospital. And judging by the demise of a former opponent, he’s a VERY dangerous man inside the ring. He avenged the 1 loss in his career by sending his opponent….to the hospital. For far too long, American fight fans have seen the ruination of boxing by guys who throw 1 punch at a time and are unwilling to step in there against legit fighters who can injure them. Guys like Mayweather, Charlo Bros, Crawford, Spence, and Tank. They all avoid the superior fighters in their divisions. Guys who can kick their teeth in. That’s why nobody watches boxing any longer. 40-50 years ago, boxing was the #1 sport in America. Now, it’s barely 6th. The American fighters are the reason why.

This should be an exciting fight, if Ponce decides to stick his nose in there to get respect. If Ponce can get Matias’ respect in the center of the ring, we should have a classic on our hands. Or a quick KO.
            Casual? Snowflake? I'm TOAA, kid. That was quite the diatribe, though little of it addressed what I actually posted. Nobody expects this guy to be Floyd Mayweather or Willie Pep, but he does have obvious defensive flaws. Pointing out flaws in a fighter or picking against him isn't calling him garbage. Matias is an excellent contender and he may well win this fight by KO. Who knows, but he does get hit CLEAN too much to think he will be a dominant JWW at the highest tier, unless he improves. I don't care how strong a fighter is or how well he punches, if you stay in the pocket throwing 5-6 punch combinations all night long, you are going to get tagged hard by better fighers.
            real raw real raw likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOneAboveAll View Post

Casual? Snowflake? I'm TOAA, kid. That was quite the diatribe, though little of it addressed what I actually posted. Nobody expects this guy to be Floyd Mayweather or Willie Pep, but he does have obvious defensive flaws. Pointing out flaws in a fighter or picking against him isn't calling him garbage. Matias is an excellent contender and he may well win this fight by KO. Who knows, but he does get hit CLEAN too much to think he will be a dominant JWW at the highest tier, unless he improves. I don't care how strong a fighter is or how well he punches, if you stay in the pocket throwing 5-6 punch combinations all night long, you are going to get tagged hard by better fighers.
              Ponce tagged Matias a few times. Guess what? It’s boxing. You’re SUPPOSED to get hit. Matias brushed it off and beat the living out of Ponce and made him quit. That’s how they did it in the old day. Sit there and see who can drop the better combos off your jawline. Nobody tunes in to watch people running around the ring like a fruit. You don’t like violence? Go watch tennis or golf. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyBX View Post

Ponce tagged Matias a few times. Guess what? It’s boxing. You’re SUPPOSED to get hit. Matias brushed it off and beat the living out of Ponce and made him quit. That’s how they did it in the old day. Sit there and see who can drop the better combos off your jawline. Nobody tunes in to watch people running around the ring like a fruit. You don’t like violence? Go watch tennis or golf. Simple as that.
                You have the wrong guy. Follow anything I've posted and you will see that I very much appreciate hard-nosed fighters (no Jamaine Ortiz fan). I don't dislike Matias or his style. He has repeatedly stood up to heavy barrages in the early rounds only to turn the tides quickly and force opponents to quit on their stools. Ergashev is an even more glaring example of this than Ponce was. Having said that, I don't at all believe that Matias will be able to do that against the other elite JWW fighters. We may disagree and I could well be wrong, but I think he presently lacks the versatility to beat guys like Teofimo Lopez, Devin Haney or Gary Antuanne Russell.

Comment

Working...
                X