Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jeremias Ponce-Subriel Matias - Weigh-In Results From Minneapolis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Jeremias Ponce-Subriel Matias - Weigh-In Results From Minneapolis

Jeremias Ponce and Subriel Matias made weight Friday for the junior welterweight title fight the 140-pound contenders have awaited for quite some time. Argentina's Ponce stepped on the Minnesota Office of Combative Sports' scale at 139 1/2 pounds for their fight Saturday night at The Armory in Minneapolis. Puerto Rico's Matias officially weighed in at 139 1/2 pounds.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Ponce KO10 Matias

Comment

Matias by TKO 10

Comment

Originally posted by TheOneAboveAll View Post
        Ponce KO10 Matias
        That's a bold take, how come?

Comment

Originally posted by Escorpion View Post

That's a bold take, how come?
          Matias is popular on these boards because he's got an exciting style, but he also has many flaws. IMO, he is a physical beast with defensive flaws that are going to get exposed when he fights other top contenders. He has already had these flaws exposed by fighters like Ananyan and Jukembayev. He has poor head movement IMO, and he believes in his punching power a bit too much which results in him staying straight on line and in the pocket for too long. He's got a great chin, it seems, but he gets hit too cleanly, too often. Ponce is a good combination puncher (upstairs and down) who seems to have great timing. If he can prove to be as tough as most of his countrymen I can see this fight going long, which I think favors Ponce. It might go to decision, but I think Ponce is going to beat him down and end it before the final bell.
          Last edited by TheOneAboveAll; 02-24-2023, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Matias is popular on these boards because he's got an exciting style, but he also has many flaws. IMO, he is a physical beast with defensive flaws that are going to get exposed when he fights other top contenders. He has already had these flaws exposed by fighters like Ananyan and Jukembayev. He has poor head movement IMO, and he believes in his punching power a bit too much which results in him staying straight on line and in the pocket for too long. He's got a great chin, it seems, but he gets hit too cleanly, too often. Ponce is a good combination puncher (upstairs and down) who seems to have great timing. If he can prove to be as tough as most of his countrymen I can see this fight going long, which I think favors Ponce. It might go to decision, but I think Ponce is going to beat him down and end it before the final bell.
            I'm kind of rolling with you on this one I think it's going to be a war of attrition and I wouldn't be surprised if Ponce pulls off the upset. I like both fighters but I agree Matias is easy to hit, has been stunned and has been outworked before, if he knocked out Ponce it wouldn't be a shocker either but this fight is truly 50-50.

TheOneAboveAll TheOneAboveAll likes this.

Comment

Everything you said about Matias can be said about Ponce too except he looks less durable.

Also jukembayev is a very good fighter who I think beats Ponce too yet Matias took his soul and made him give up which speaks volumes.

Comment

would love to see ponce win and bring another belt down here but i can't see it happening, don't think he has enough pop in his fist to keep matias honest. maybe if the fight gets past the second half and subriel's staminas diminishes wich has happend in other fights but still, very hard

Comment

Always laughable hearing casual fight fans talk about a fighter has been “exposed” because he was “hurt” and has “poor head movement”…lmao. This is boxing, snowflake. You’re supposed to get punched. You’re supposed to bleed. You’re supposed to get your face swollen. Matias punches hard enough to injure fighters. He gets in range to deliver his powerful shots and gets his in return as well. Matias’ whole theme is to put opponents in the hospital. And judging by the demise of a former opponent, he’s a VERY dangerous man inside the ring. He avenged the 1 loss in his career by sending his opponent….to the hospital. For far too long, American fight fans have seen the ruination of boxing by guys who throw 1 punch at a time and are unwilling to step in there against legit fighters who can injure them. Guys like Mayweather, Charlo Bros, Crawford, Spence, and Tank. They all avoid the superior fighters in their divisions. Guys who can kick their teeth in. That’s why nobody watches boxing any longer. 40-50 years ago, boxing was the #1 sport in America. Now, it’s barely 6th. The American fighters are the reason why.

This should be an exciting fight, if Ponce decides to stick his nose in there to get respect. If Ponce can get Matias’ respect in the center of the ring, we should have a classic on our hands. Or a quick KO.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyBX View Post

Always laughable hearing casual fight fans talk about a fighter has been “exposed” because he was “hurt” and has “poor head movement”…lmao. This is boxing, snowflake. You’re supposed to get punched. You’re supposed to bleed. You’re supposed to get your face swollen. Matias punches hard enough to injure fighters. He gets in range to deliver his powerful shots and gets his in return as well. Matias’ whole theme is to put opponents in the hospital. And judging by the demise of a former opponent, he’s a VERY dangerous man inside the ring. He avenged the 1 loss in his career by sending his opponent….to the hospital. For far too long, American fight fans have seen the ruination of boxing by guys who throw 1 punch at a time and are unwilling to step in there against legit fighters who can injure them. Guys like Mayweather, Charlo Bros, Crawford, Spence, and Tank. They all avoid the superior fighters in their divisions. Guys who can kick their teeth in. That’s why nobody watches boxing any longer. 40-50 years ago, boxing was the #1 sport in America. Now, it’s barely 6th. The American fighters are the reason why.

This should be an exciting fight, if Ponce decides to stick his nose in there to get respect. If Ponce can get Matias’ respect in the center of the ring, we should have a classic on our hands. Or a quick KO.
                    Except that's exactly what happened he got out boxed by the Armenian and hurt by the Kazakh. Whether Ponce beats him or not he is still vulnerable and will lose at top level unless he learns to move his head.

Comment

Working...
                    X