Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some people prefer MMA over boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
    I wouldn't say I prefer it but I like it very near as much. There's still exceptional skill on dispaly if you know what you're looking at and grappling, kicks and throws are every bit as nuanced as striking. End of the day it's a different sport though - no reason a decent boxer can't transition - and if decent striking ability alone was sufficient to get you to the top many more boxers would make the switch
    How are you, brother? Hope you’re well!

MMA fighters simply have a lot more to work on that just punches; therefore they don’t look as polished in that department as boxers. But, in truth, only the better boxers look really good when they throw punches. I’ve seen plenty of amateurs and low-level pros that don’t look any better than MMA guys when they deliver blows. Hell, even a former world champion, Wilder, doesn’t look great throwing punches. Lol

Although I much prefer watching boxing in general, I definitely appreciate a good UFC match. There is certainly a lot of skill involved. I watched the first seven or so UFCs, but lost interest when it started to morph into what we now regard as “mixed martial arts”. Ultimately (no pun intended haha), MMA is much more like a real fight than boxing. There are far less rules — street fights involve grappling, and often wind up on the ground.

Comment

You always get the fights that the fans want to see with MMA. With boxing you get guys fighting bums under the guise of chasing history and grown men arguing over social media like little girls. in MMA the beefs are settled through combat.
      mromano mromano likes this.

Comment

I will always prefer boxing over MMA, but I do love watching MMA and here is why. 1. They are all under the same promotion and there is no problems getting fights done and worrying about another promotion holding up contract talks. 2. The best fight the best and thats due to my first reason. 3. The big draws fight more then once a year. In boxing, you're lucky to get a top fighter to fight more then once a year and that really holds the sport back a lot.
        REMOVE SHARK 5510 REMOVE SHARK 5510 likes this.

Comment

Tonight we have Joe Joyce vs Joshua Parker

That is a good, solid, 50/50 match up.

However, that is almost remarkable in boxing at the top end at moment.

....that is why people watch the UFC or at least why boxing fans might.

I would rather watch a southern area title fight in boxing than a mandatory defence of a version of a world title tbh.

Actually the poster above explains everything better than me, lol
          Last edited by Sparked_26; 09-24-2022, 08:45 AM.

Comment

no ducking? once in a while the pleasant sound of broken bones.

Comment

Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post
              Its much more exciting most of the time, way more upsets and unpredictable shyt, crazier finishes/moments, its much more visceral and bloody. Its the best proving ground of who the actual best fighters in the world are rather than guys who are elite within the confines of an extremely narrow ruleset and then get wrecked easily the moment things deviate remotely from that. Its much more technically deep and multi faceted. Theres stacked cards on a fairly regular basis. The top guys actually fight each other consistently. Theres less cherry picking and record padding and treating the "0" and belts like a marketing tactic that almost every half decent fighter gets engineered towards. The skill ceiling is much higher with much more room for future growth. Its just overall got more consistent hype and buzz around it. Etc etc.

PS: If you're gonna criticise their "striking" you better be doing it from a kickboxing/muay thai fans perspective rather than a boxing one. Dunno why boxing fans always conflate "boxing" and "striking".
              “its more…bloody”

How old are you? 14? And why do you put quotations around striking? Their STRIKING is awful. It’s just a fact, Timmy.

Comment

I talked about MMA before it was even a term . I actually predicted it would happen in 1988 away before it’s time and ppl thought I was crazy because I practiced shoot fighting even then where it was limited knowledge because no social media existed and few did that art which is mainly leg submission as its base .

Most people aren’t martial artists an untrained eye will view it mostly as sloppy but it’s far greater chess match than boxing is ,there’s just to many variables that you have to adjust to ,boxing has them but it’s not exactly that complex next to say a UFC fight .

Which is better is subjective as some stated in the UFC particularly you get the top fights made because it’s easier under a single promotion as well , I myself watch the old UFCs more and study them . I saw the first UFC , a guy I trained with a few yrs ago a Muay Thai champion showed me the actual UFC contract they sent him fur IUFC 1 where he would be laid 5 K ( yes 5 K ..lol ) and only if he won would receive 60 K and they didn’t have insurance fir the fighters so he declined . I would have entered it but I was only 20 at the time and no connections it grew since Those day’s obviously ,fighters are very lucky theses days even if they are under paid .

In the end a fight is a fight those who truly love any combat sport will watch them all .

Comment

I like mma for the simple fact that the best tend to fight the best without question. In boxing it takes fcuking FOREVER for shi.t like that to happen. Ive been a fan of boxing for over 35 years, had 2 uncles that are former champs in the 80s and it will always my favorite sport but its frustrating to say the least.

Comment

Hopefully once we settle MMA vs boxing, we can move onto what is better, pepsi or coke? Because of course these are purely factual debates with an objective truth, not just a matter of personal taste. If we argue long enough everybody will agree for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
                      Hopefully once we settle MMA vs boxing, we can move onto what is better, pepsi or coke? Because of course these are purely factual debates with an objective truth, not just a matter of personal taste. If we argue long enough everybody will agree for sure.
                      Coke is better. Much more sweeter.

Comment

Working...
                      X