Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some people prefer MMA over boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do some people prefer MMA over boxing?

The striking is atrocious.
    Over half the fights end up being wrestling matches.
    Most (almost all) of the fighters have no personality.
    And again. The striking is atrocious. It’s almost cringe worthy to watch.

some people dont appreciate the art of boxing and the different styles and how it can be made to look easy even tho its not, mma is wham bam, blood and guts & exciting in its own way too, its all entertainment, why do some prefer sci fi to drama etc

Comment

I wouldn't say I prefer it but I like it very near as much. There's still exceptional skill on dispaly if you know what you're looking at and grappling, kicks and throws are every bit as nuanced as striking. End of the day it's a different sport though - no reason a decent boxer can't transition - and if decent striking ability alone was sufficient to get you to the top many more boxers would make the switch

Comment

The untrained eye can't tell that MMA stricking is below par if anything they think it's better. I remember in school kids used to argue with me that MMA fighter's punched harder etc. Smaller gloves and bad defense will fool many.

Comment

UFC is awesome

Great fights, fun cards, entertaining prelims

'best fight the best'

not everyone considered is a bum, overrated, a coward, weight bully, cheater, cherry picker etc

You can lose 4 times in a row and you're still respected

Boxing could take a leaf out of its books

**** boxing
          shenmue shenmue TMLT87 TMLT87 like this.

Comment

Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

The best fight the best. I prefer boxing but I wish it was run like the ufc.

Comment

Its much more exciting most of the time, way more upsets and unpredictable shyt, crazier finishes/moments, its much more visceral and bloody. Its the best proving ground of who the actual best fighters in the world are rather than guys who are elite within the confines of an extremely narrow ruleset and then get wrecked easily the moment things deviate remotely from that. Its much more technically deep and multi faceted. Theres stacked cards on a fairly regular basis. The top guys actually fight each other consistently. Theres less cherry picking and record padding and treating the "0" and belts like a marketing tactic that almost every half decent fighter gets engineered towards. The skill ceiling is much higher with much more room for future growth. Its just overall got more consistent hype and buzz around it. Etc etc.

PS: If you're gonna criticise their "striking" you better be doing it from a kickboxing/muay thai fans perspective rather than a boxing one. Dunno why boxing fans always conflate "boxing" and "striking".

Comment

Originally posted by Dakuwaqa View Post
                  UFC is awesome

Great fights, fun cards, entertaining prelims

'best fight the best'

not everyone considered is a bum, overrated, a coward, weight bully, cheater, cherry picker etc

You can lose 4 times in a row and you're still respected

Boxing could take a leaf out of its books

**** boxing
                  You say that yet here you are

Comment

Not a fan of man on man analingus personally. But it's 2022 and to each their own innit.

Comment

Working...
                    X