Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: DeGuardia: Beterbiev Was Hitting To The Back Of The Head; We Were Concerned About That

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artur aims at the temple, but depending on the opponent's reaction like moving forward or side ward, it will look like he's landing at the back of the temple. But the physics says you can't be aiming at the back of the temple when you're too far away. So in cases like this, the temple landing depends entirely on the opponent's momentum.

These back of the temple hitting things are common in clinches or in a very short range or when the opponents duck very low, that's why those ducking very low moves are illegal in boxing, it's for the fighter's own good.
    CasperUK CasperUK likes this.

Comment

Fury hit Wilder with the same type punches in the 2nd fight, no one wanted to hear it was a rabbit punch. Beterbiev hits J. Smith with the same punches ... many are decrying the rabbit punch. In both cases the safeguard is: Boxers must protect themselves at all times. First and foremost, you can't count on a referee.

I thought some punches in both fights were rabbit punches (debatable if they were intentional). I have said before that boxing needs to crack down on these punches (accidental or intentional) as they are very damaging to fighters long term health. It needs to be two points deducted almost automatically, unless it's obviously incidental in the action (fighters moving, defending, and working angles ... sometimes it's gonna happen). A warning is a joke, particularly if a fighter is doing it on purpose.The penalty has to be so probable and severe for rabbit punches that guys work much harder to MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T HAPPEN.

Nothing worse than a guy getting a warning and you're out on your feet 40 seconds later from one or two of these punches. It has to be policed by the sport much more severely to make it a rare occurence .... where nowdays it's almost a regular occurence in fights.

PS - Fury obviously won the 2nd fight rather easily, he was more aggresive, in better shape, and had a tight gameplan that he was prepared to execute. Wilder was not prepared for that and ....
      But, there were some rabbit punches in there, intentional or not. Probably would have got the same outcome without them, but they happened ... and they happened in the Beterbiev-Smith fight as well. May nt have made a difference, but .... who knows?

The Sport has to do better.
      Last edited by MastaBlasta; 06-20-2022, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I thought Joe Smith rushed in too far, then was overshooting the target with his punches. Kinda wild, kinda amateurish way to attack right off the bat, no feeling out, seeing what your opponent was doing. For fights at that level he needs a much better tactician in his corner. He rushed in like that in the B-Hop fight, but B-Hop was an old guy at that point. What, fifty-something?

Comment

Some of the shots were rabbit punches but Smith was outclassed and overwhelmed! I was rooting for and bet on Smith by the way!
          sidefx996 sidefx996 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Brettcappe View Post
            Some of the shots were rabbit punches but Smith was outclassed and overwhelmed! I was rooting for and bet on Smith by the way!
            Well said. I don’t like that Beterbiev is reckless and sometimes rough-housing when in close up / tear up situations- my problem lies in (a) Some using very flimsy evidence to accuse PED usage (b) Not applying consistency just because you like or dislike a fighter.

Case in point- hardly anyone mentioned how many punches from Andy Ruiz landed on back of Joshua head - they were just too happy to celebrate the ‘big stiff robot’ being exposed . If i am neutral Ruiz would have done same and being much shorter had to throw looping wild hooks to stand a chance. But still the telling shots were clearly back of the head and no one mentioned it. Ruiz was on a Snickers diet so wont accuse him of Steroids

Main point is be consistent whether you like or dislike a fighter. I hate this bias nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by hennanra1000 View Post

Well said. I don’t like that Beterbiev is reckless and sometimes rough-housing when in close up / tear up situations- my problem lies in (a) Some using very flimsy evidence to accuse PED usage (b) Not applying consistency just because you like or dislike a fighter.

Case in point- hardly anyone mentioned how many punches from Andy Ruiz landed on back of Joshua head - they were just too happy to celebrate the ‘big stiff robot’ being exposed . If i am neutral Ruiz would have done same and being much shorter had to throw looping wild hooks to stand a chance. But still the telling shots were clearly back of the head and no one mentioned it. Ruiz was on a Snickers diet so wont accuse him of Steroids

Main point is be consistent whether you like or dislike a fighter. I hate this bias nonsense.
              I agree. The fanboy mentality is sickening. An example is Abraham Nova. I have attended a few of his fights and met him on a couple of occasions. The last time i saw him he claimed that he was going to fight Navarette for the title. I looked at him and said "are you sure, that guy is a beast". He claimed that he could beat him. I had my doubts and the other night's outcome solidified my fears. I actually thought Nova could be Robeisy Ramirez. I was dead wrong of course. The point is that there is nothing wrong with being humble after your guy loses. No need to make excuses. Eat crow and move on!
              hennanra1000 hennanra1000 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by CasperUK View Post

Backne can happen for lots of reasons

Being naturally hairy and having ingrown hairs

High protein diet

High sugar or energy drink consumption

Weight draining

Being dehydrated

I am 36 years old and still get pimples if I eat too much sugary or sweet things. I notice it on a Monday or Tuesday if I have had a good time on the weekend if I am celebrating a birthday or just eating rubbish. I also get itchy skin sometimes too.

Different genetics react different to different diets.

It's not always PEDs and if a fighter is testing clean then you have to assume they are innocent until proven wrong.
                I get it, just think it's a little strange and many fighters with that have popped. That's all I'm saying
                Last edited by Boxing Goat; 06-21-2022, 08:49 AM.
                CasperUK CasperUK likes this.

Comment

Link says video unavailable

Comment

Originally posted by sidefx996 View Post

Go back and read the original article/post. Third paragraph. First sentence. Or go watch the fight again for yourself. With 1:21 left in the second round Beterbiev clubs Smith behind the head and Harvey Dock says "STOP" six times then warns Beterbiev "don't hit him behind the head, don't do that." Happy?
                    I saw and remember that but it had nothing to do with the ending of the fight

Comment

The fight was promoted as "two big punchers" squaring off, but only one puncher showed up. The other guy simply took said "big" punches and laid an egg for the world to see. If Artur was hitting Joe on the back of the head all night, then that should've been brought up to the ref during locker room instructions.

Moreover, Joe left his head out there to be hit all night- What else should we have expected other than Artur producing a highlight reel for the producers in the trucks? Ward said it best, Joe felt the power and wanted it to end as quickly as possible. We saw a brave man walk straight into a bear trap or hornet's nest (whatever your eyes saw that night) and take punishment...most of which was viewed as "strange" or, "What was Joe thinking?"

Comment

Working...
                      X