Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Spence: Ennis Wants To Reel In Big Fish? He Might Catch Something He Doesn't Want

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Get em up View Post
    Boots is gonna fight for a vacant title. After Bud and Spence fights the only way Boots fights one of them is if Spence beats Bud and doesnt move up to fight his stablemate in Charlo. I'm picking Bud to win and then moving to 154 to fight the undisputed champ there. I just can't see Spence fighting his stablemate if he wins.

I do agree with the other poster that said Boots needs a 12 round fight I'm just not sure who will step up and be able to give it to him. Porter was that guy but he retired. Thurman and DSG is a stiff test for him but it'll be career suicide for them if Boots stops them.
    Mell is moving up to 160. So all the belts at 154 will be vacant soon. After Spence has finished Crawford he will start a new straps season at 154.

Comment

Originally posted by gluvsup View Post

Boots is 24 years old, two years older than a brash, confident Ali was at the time of the Liston bout.

He thinks he’s ready for Errol. That’s good enough for me. He knows himself, and as a disciple of the sport he knows exactly what Errol brings, and how dangerous that is to anyone including himself. Love the courage and the determination in Boots — the only path to greatness.
      The problem is Boots need more experience. Name one fighter on his resume that is as good as Errol Spence, Jr or Terence Crawford? You can't name one because it doesn't exist.

Just give him some more time to grow, develop and mature. He is only 24 years old. In less than five years he is going to surpass both Spence and Crawford anyhow because he is the future of the welterweight division.

Also, you brought up Cassius Clay. Remember that Clay was a former Light Heavyweight Olympic Gold medalist before he fought Sonny Liston and with a ton of amateur experience to go with it.

So he was ripe for the picking then to become the World's heavyweight champion.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
        Do you remember what happened to the 1996 Olympic Gold medalist David Reid or Fernando Vargas once they both challenged Felix Trinidad for his 154 lbs title. He destroyed them both. Neither man was ever the same afterwards. Trinidad ended David Reid's boxing career and ruined Fernando Vargas' boxing career. So one should think long and very hard for what they you wish for or it just may come true.
        Yeah, I remember Reid and Vargas. Are you suggesting that either of them was going to be some kind of ATG if they'd have avoided Tito? Neither guy was ruined, they just lost, and neither loss was a "bad look" for boxing as you say. They were both just good fighters who lost to a great one.

Comment

The problem is Boots need more experience. Name one fighter on his resume that is as good as Errol Spence, Jr or Terence Crawford? You can't name one because it doesn't exist.

Just give him some more time to grow, develop and mature. He is only 24 years old. In less than five years he is going to surpass both Spence and Crawford anyhow because he is the future of the welterweight division.

Also, you brought up Cassius Clay. Remember that Clay was a former Light Heavyweight Olympic Gold medalist before he fought Sonny Liston and with a ton of amateur experience to go with it.

You're saying Boots isn't ready for an elite level challenge until he's already beaten an elite level guy? That makes no sense. That's what challenges are. Stepping up to a level you haven't seen before. Boots is ready for either guy right now. 24 yrs old is a full grown-ass man. Nobody can say how either fight will go, but I don't think any knowledgeable fan is prepared to put real money up against Boots. He's not out of his league against anyone. Look how long it took for Crawford and Spence to agree to fight each other (assuming they do fight this time). Neither one of those guys will ever fight Ennis because they both know he's more than ready.
          Last edited by NachoMan; 05-17-2022, 03:21 PM.
          greeneye99 greeneye99 likes this.

Comment

Do you remember what happened to the 1996 Olympic Gold medalist David Reid or Fernando Vargas once they both challenged Felix Trinidad for his 154 lbs title. He destroyed them both. Neither man was ever the same afterwards. Trinidad ended David Reid's boxing career and ruined Fernando Vargas' boxing career. So one should think long and very hard for what they you wish for or it just may come true.
            This is what I think would happen. I think Boots would bite off a bit more than he can chew with Spence. Two years down the line, Boots would have a better chance of beating Spence. I would like to see Boots fight Keith Thurman.
            champion4ever champion4ever likes this.

Comment

Spence doesnt have anyone on his resume as good as crawford and vice versa and it is ok for them to fight. Same thing with Ennis.

Comment

I don't know about the future of the welterweight division. Just because Spence was able to hang around 147 til he's 32 33 doesn't mean Boots will..and the Welterweight class is currently going through a transition as most guys are rapidly approaching or in their mid 30s now so the welterweight division may not be as hot in the coming years as these guys age out..We not even sure Ortiz Jr will be able to remain at 147 yet with what occurred with his body a few months ago
                champion4ever champion4ever likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by NachoMan View Post

Yeah, I remember Reid and Vargas. Are you suggesting that either of them was going to be some kind of ATG if they'd have avoided Tito? Neither guy was ruined, they just lost, and neither loss was a "bad look" for boxing as you say. They were both just good fighters who lost to a great one.
                  You are missing the big picture. Neither fighter was the same afterwards. David Reid retired after that fight and Fernando Vargas' career had declined and went downhill from there. He was never the same fighter because Trinidad ruined him in just one night. Vargas sustained a total of 5 knockdowns in that fight. Two in the first and three in the 12th. His heath began deteriorate rapidly after that fight; Especially his back.

Comment

Originally posted by NachoMan View Post

You're saying Boots isn't ready for an elite level challenge until he's already beaten an elite level guy? That makes no sense. That's what challenges are. Stepping up to a level you haven't seen before. Boots is ready for either guy right now. 24 yrs old is a full grown-ass man. Nobody can say how either fight will go, but I don't think any knowledgeable fan is prepared to put real money up against Boots. He's not out of his league against anyone. Look how long it took for Crawford and Spence to agree to fight each other (assuming they do fight this time). Neither one of those guys will ever fight Ennis because they both know he's more than ready.
                    I just so happen to agree with you. Neither Spence or Crawford will fight him and for what reason? Neither guy has anything to prove and everything to lose against a guy like Boots. Hell, even Keith Thurman won't touch him. He wouldn't come within a hundred yards of him and I can't blame him. This kid is too high risk and low reward.

Comment

Originally posted by mjh1969 View Post

This is what I think would happen. I think Boots would bite off a bit more than he can chew with Spence. Two years down the line, Boots would have a better chance of beating Spence. I would like to see Boots fight Keith Thurman.
                      Very good Post! You are the most sane and rational fan I've ever had the pleasure of discussing this topic with. These fanatics don't seem to get the big picture. Boots hasn't fought anyone as near as good as Spence. Errol Spence has a reputation of breaking opponents bones in the ring; Especially eye sockets. They want to rush, ruin and cash out this kid before he has fully developed because if they fight right now Spence will hurt him because he's in his prime.

Comment

Working...
                      X