No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tequila, Canada and the Heavyweight Champion of Upsets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Tequila, Canada and the Heavyweight Champion of Upsets

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson this week. Thirty-two years ago this week that is. And while consoling myself to the idea I'm old enough to clearly recall an event more than 30 years old, part of me still reacts with the same slack-jawed shock I displayed upon initially learning the fateful Tokyo result in real time back on Feb. 11, 1990.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Upset of the Century. The fight that shocked the world. The greatest upset in boxing history. Buster Douglas a 42-1 under dog rose from an eight round knockdown, only to score a stunning 10th round knockout of the previously undefeated and seemingly invincible Mike Tyson.
    Last edited by vitali1999; 02-15-2022, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I remember watching this at 15 years old and almost cried as a teenager. After reading his autobiography it made perfect sense. After Cus Mike was without a father figure and was on the path to destruction. What sealed the deal was the death of his Manager Jim Jacobs. His Management team was second to none. Jim seemed the strong one and after his death it took no time for the vultures to swoop in. Exit stage left Bill Cayton, Mike’s remaining Manager and in comes murdering crook Don King who shouldn’t have ever seen a ring. Couple that with gold digger, I spread for bread B actress Robin Givens and her two bit low life mother and Mike was ripe for the taking. I always said that had Mike kept Cayton and his trainer Rooney and possibly one more person as a father figure he’d have never lost. As soon as murderer King moved in he filled Mike’s camp with 3rd tier trainer Snowell who hadn’t had anyone since Julian Jackson and managers Holloway as well as Horne. I mean what trainers doesn’t ensure enswell isn’t in the corner of a fight? Mike was partying the night before the fight. Rumor had it he partied all night long. Rooney would have never allowed that to happen. King set that man up for the fall.
      4truth 4truth likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by vitali1999 View Post
        Upset of the Century. The fight that shocked the world. The greatest upset in boxing history. Buster Douglas a 42-1 under dog rose from an eight round knockdown, only to score a stunning 10th round knockout of the previously undefeated and seemingly invisible Mike Tyson.
        I suspect invincible was the word you were looking for.....

Comment

I was shocked when I heard, although that wasn't til some time later and I had bigger concerns in February 1990 cos I was living in the underground section of an abandoned ruined mill shivering my way through the winter nights in a threadbare sleeping bag.

8291678211_4a8394d65e_b.jpg

They excavated it all some years later in the noughties and turned it into an outdoor exhibition of industrial archaeology. It probably would have taken em a wheelbarrow to get rid of all the beer bottles I left behind. Used to steal em from the nearby golf club. As far as I know the rotted remains of my sleeping bag were still there.

Still shocking about Mike though... thought the dude was unbeatable. People forget just how big he was at the time... in fact people forget how big boxing as a whole was back then... everyone in the country (the UK) would have known the name of the heavyweight champion and even dudes like Frankie Bruno and Joe Bugner were household names. Different times.

Comment

I remember watching the fight as a teenager. I had seen all of the blowouts in the lead-up to this fight (for whatever reason the Carl Williams fight I remember most because they announced Carl as fighting out of my hometown in NJ even tho he wasn't from there).

Never forget the absolute amateur hour going on in Tyson's corner (Aaron Snowell with a watery balloon trying to get the swelling down in Tyson's eye) and those two big knockdowns. The other thing I remember was Don King looking a very pale shade of grey right after the KO.

Good article Fitz.

Comment

The Great Nash was only 6 years old, but he had been watching boxing for around a year at this point. My Dad Was stunned. Man, he totally bought into the Tyson was invincible hype. Things started to go wrong for Mike before this fight, that's for sure, but some poster talking about he never would have lost. Nah! There is absolutely nothing to suggest that. He was very well-matched. He never beat any top guy really. Even Holmes, who I feel was massively overrated anyway, was fighting Mike coming off 2 losses in a row. Everyone else, Tyson did exactly as expected, in fact, on a couple of instances he showed signs of not being quite what people thought, but of course it was glossed over.

There are hundreds of HW's in history who would have went through Tyson's unbeaten period as well, or better than he did. But he was superbly marketed. Even the kit he wore struck fear into opponents. But, take away everything that apparently went wrong, and accept these facts. Douglas had a jab and movement that was always going to course Tyson problems. Tyson could not get in and got very frustrated. Douglas did not fear Tyson (key factor) Just as Holyfield stood toe to toe with Tyson, no fear - key to victory. And also, Tyson, when the going gets tough, Mike gets going. Awesome on top bully. But stand up to the bully. Hit the bully back, and the bully becomes the ***** sitting on the floor pretending to try to get up to save face, but knowing that he just wants out. Nash out.

Comment

Hahaha! I was 16 & wasn’t old enough to get in bar so i went to Tilley’s restaurant/bar in Sherwood Park, Canada. The lounge & restaurant were separate but there was no wall so i could see the big screen. So we smoked, drank coffee & had fries or something watching the fight…

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
                  I was shocked when I heard, although that wasn't til some time later and I had bigger concerns in February 1990 cos I was living in the underground section of an abandoned ruined mill shivering my way through the winter nights in a threadbare sleeping bag.

8291678211_4a8394d65e_b.jpg

They excavated it all some years later in the noughties and turned it into an outdoor exhibition of industrial archaeology. It probably would have taken em a wheelbarrow to get rid of all the beer bottles I left behind. Used to steal em from the nearby golf club. As far as I know the rotted remains of my sleeping bag were still there.

Still shocking about Mike though... thought the dude was unbeatable. People forget just how big he was at the time... in fact people forget how big boxing as a whole was back then... everyone in the country (the UK) would have known the name of the heavyweight champion and even dudes like Frankie Bruno and Joe Bugner were household names. Different times.
                  Is that the real picture of your hang out and was this when you were on drugs?

Comment

I wasn’t born yet, so….

Comment

Working...
                    X