Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jaron Ennis Promoter Reflects on Fighter's Bright, if Uncertain, Future and the Politics of Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Ennis is the Future! I think He's the best among the Welterweights Now! He better hurry up, I dont think he can stay at 147 for Long, He got a Big Frame. He looks a Like a MIddleweight in the Last Video I've seen.
    mgame mgame likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
      I think he NEEDS to sign with Haymon! PBC has 147-154 on lock! I don't want Boots to be Regis Prograis! I want Boots to be Errol Spence and the Charlo Bros! In fact I want to see Boots fight Errol Spence and the Charlo Bros.!!! He needs Al Haymon to do that! Same goes for Brandun Lee!
      I do understand your enthusiasm and I would like them to, especially since with al fighters can fight in any setting but all will get to title shots without him
      mgame mgame likes this.

Comment

Ennis is good and deserving of a title shot, but no one really wants to face him right now. He can beat just about anyone that he'll step in the ring against. None of the major titlist will step in the ring with Ennis until he becomes more of a household name. At least if he's known, if someone with a belt steps in the ring with Ennis, knowing there's a chance they will lose against him, at least there will be money to be made. No one will risk having their stock drop against a young lion, unless serious money can be made.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodtang View Post

Great that you recognized Ennis hasn't been rushed and your praising that. And yet in the same comment your contradicting that fantastic strategy, with your comments on Ortiz and Benn. I agree. Ortiz does get hit too much. So afford him the same sentiments of not been rushed, as clearly he needs defensive improvements. And Benn is behind those guys, it's clear for all to see. But afford him the same sentiments of not being rushed as he's in a process of trying to hone his tools in the ring just like Ennis has. No need for double standards. Ennis is a great talent and will take some beating.
          I said Ortiz and Benn lacked experience, what are you on about? When Ennis had 19 fights, nobody knew his name, there was no hype and honorariums. Ennis didn't get any sentiments at all at the same stage of his career. Ennis who?
          mgame mgame likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
            How many fights you seen Ortiz hurt/wobbled?
            How many do I have to see? That was Ortiz' last fight and he was hurt bad.
            mgame mgame likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodtang View Post

I like Ennis, a fantastic fighter. But be honest. Was he asking for the names he is now 8 fights ago. And if so why didn't he get them. He's had to learn his trade and that's what Benn is doing. Yes Benn would unleash himself right now, but that's ego, which all fighters have, so it shouldn't be a criticism. His people are trying to move him correctly. Tony Simms his trainer to prepare him for the big challenges, and Hearn to promote him to increase his commercial potential. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, as he has plenty time on his side. And that's exactly what Ennis and his people are doing, so more power to them. Benns criticism is way over the top. I have to disagree with you about Ennis not going to Haymon. Because he will not get a shot at one of his titles unless he signs there. That's why he has to go the IBF mandatory route. But after that he'll be stuck with that one belt until he signs with Haymon. I really wish it were different, but it's not unfortunately.
              ———
              The only critic Benn gets is how he’s calling out Broner. Broner is done. There is nothing to regal in beating Broner. We know Benn beats him.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post

I do understand your enthusiasm and I would like them to, especially since with al fighters can fight in any setting but all will get to title shots without him
                I don't want Boots becoming Terence Crawford 2.0! I don't want Brandun Lee becoming Devin Haney 2.0! Dunkin knows the deal, so he should make the deal!

mgame mgame likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Corelone View Post

How many do I have to see? That was Ortiz' last fight and he was hurt bad.
                  If you’re saying he gets hurt/wobbled too much, I’d hope more than just his last fight. Kavaliauskas was also clocking Crawford and hurt him. Ennis eats bombs against everyone he fights incase you hadn’t noticed. They just haven’t been of Kavaliauskas’ lvl.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

They are intelligent businessmen but don't know all the twists and turns of boxing politics.

HBO did try to ask for better fights for their money. But there was immediate pushback from Bob Arum, who whined that they were trying to play matchmaker.
                    Well that exactly what they should have done! "Here's $$$ but we wanna see X fight Y . . ."
                    Wacked_Out Wacked_Out likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by jockpunk View Post

Signing with Haymon doesn't guarentee him anything. Tank has yet to fight anyone in the top 5 in any division in which he has competed. Charlo's have no real signifcant wins (JRock lol). Gary Russell barely fights. Doesn't sound like Haymon is going to get thurman a fight with spence. So I don't see where signing with haymon makes it any more likely that he gets big fights.

As it stands, ennis will get a mandatory shot at spence sometime in the not to distant future. We know spence will probably duck that fight, but even if he doesn't, ennis doesn't need haymon to get him that fight. If he beats spence he is multi belt holder where anyone who wants to be a champion has to fight either ennis or crawford. At some point Ortiz is going to be ready for a big fight (probably a couple years from now), and haymon isn't needed to make that fight. Crawford still hasnt' signed and may never, so there is another fight that doesn't require haymon. Throw benn in there in a couple years.

Bottom line, the best options at 147 do not require haymon. In fact, signing with him probably means you don't get those fights.
                      If Crawford doesn't go with PBC then Ennis might get his shot sooner rather than later.

Comment

Working...
                      X