Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: BoxingScene.com's 2021 Fighter Of The Year: Canelo Alvarez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Comments Thread For: BoxingScene.com's 2021 Fighter Of The Year: Canelo Alvarez

    By Jake Donovan - Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez has made up for lost time following the longest layoff of his career by carrying the sport on his broad shoulders. In an era where many of the sport's most notable boxers are content with fighting once a year (if even that often), Alvarez used his 2021 campaign to carry out a rate of activity he hasn't enjoyed since 2011
    [Click Here To Read More]

  • #2
    No surprise there.

    Comment


    • #3
      He won 3 fights that he was heavily favoured to win in. Amazing.
      just the facts and El_Mero like this.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Shrap View Post
        He won 3 fights that he was heavily favoured to win in. Amazing.
        True, Mayweather should not be TBE either because he was naturally more talented than anyone he fought.
        mxtali, Mario040481 and 2 others like this.

        Comment


        • #5
          He was very active this year, unified all the belts in his division, and broke the American indoor attendance record for a boxing match.

          This was a no brainer.
          Verus, Cali Talk and like this.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            He was very active this year, unified all the belts in his division, and broke the American indoor attendance record for a boxing match.

            This was a no brainer.
            Remember when Haymonite YouTube channels aka the LDBC and other Canelo haters on this site said “Plant is bigger than Canelo and fights like Floyd, slick. Caleb got a chance.” Little did they not acknowledge that Smith, BJS and even Yildirim were all bigger than Canelo. Do fans not realize that in his last 4 fights all his opponents were bigger than him and yet Canelo haters cry that he was heavily favored? In a street fight does one gamble on the smaller guy to beat 4 bigger back to back? Or does context skills matter? It’s like cards would protect Smith’s left hook from Canelo

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Thuglife Nelo View Post

              Remember when Haymonite YouTube channels aka the LDBC and other Canelo haters on this site said “Plant is bigger than Canelo and fights like Floyd, slick. Caleb got a chance.” Little did they not acknowledge that Smith, BJS and even Yildirim were all bigger than Canelo. Do fans not realize that in his last 4 fights all his opponents were bigger than him and yet Canelo haters cry that he was heavily favored? In a street fight does one gamble on the smaller guy to beat 4 bigger back to back? Or does context skills matter? It’s like cards would protect Smith’s left hook from Canelo
              I remember some people trying to say the same things about BJS. Slick style that Canelo struggles with. Instantly forgotten after the result.

              Yldrim was a proper joke, but BJS and Smith were decent opponents and good wins. A lot of other fighters aren't even fighting twice in the year, so Yildrim can be viewed in that context. Josh Taylor and Usyk both had important wins and rightly make the list as worthy mentions, but they both did only fight once; there really should't be any controversy about this.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Shrap View Post
                He won 3 fights that he was heavily favoured to win in. Amazing.
                He was heavily favored against three undefeated champions! That should tell you something. But perhaps that pales in comparison to Charlo and Benavidez -- each of whom has defeated 4 undefeated champions and only fight the toughest opponents.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Verus View Post

                  He was heavily favored against three undefeated champions! That should tell you something. But perhaps that pales in comparison to Charlo and Benavidez -- each of whom has defeated 4 undefeated champions and only fight the toughest opponents.
                  he didn’t fight 3 undefeated champions in 2021. He fought a low level mandatory that was coming off a loss and over a year of inactivity. Ironically that loss was to Dirrell, the same Dirrell that Reynoso discredited when using the typical “who has he beat” argument when discussing why Benavidez doesn’t deserve a canelo fight. He fought Saunders who hasn’t fought more than twice in any calendar year since 2013 and whose biggest win is Lemieux a few years ago. Lastly he fought a young champion whose biggest win was against Jose Uzcategui and hasn’t looked impressive since.

                  So while neither Benavidez nor Charlo have faced hall of fame level opposition either, anyone with any knowledge of boxing who knows what they’re looking at , can tell that Charlo and especially Benavidez would’ve put up better fights than those 3 guys combined because they wouldn’t have stopped trying to win the way his opposition this year did.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rrayvez View Post
                    he didn’t fight 3 undefeated champions in 2021. He fought a low level mandatory that was coming off a loss and over a year of inactivity. Ironically that loss was to Dirrell, the same Dirrell that Reynoso discredited when using the typical “who has he beat” argument when discussing why Benavidez doesn’t deserve a canelo fight. He fought Saunders who hasn’t fought more than twice in any calendar year since 2013 and whose biggest win is Lemieux a few years ago. Lastly he fought a young champion whose biggest win was against Jose Uzcategui and hasn’t looked impressive since.

                    So while neither Benavidez nor Charlo have faced hall of fame level opposition either, anyone with any knowledge of boxing who knows what they’re looking at , can tell that Charlo and especially Benavidez would’ve put up better fights than those 3 guys combined because they wouldn’t have stopped trying to win the way his opposition this year did.
                    So who is your fighter of the year?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X
                    TOP