No announcement yet.

How is Tyson Fury the Lineal Champion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sun_Tzu View Post

It has been broken many times. The 'lineal championship" is a marketing ploy. Who did Wlad win it off? He collected most of the belts but there is no connecting him to John L Sullivan lineally. You cant even connect him to Lennox Lewis that way. No one in the last 60+ years atleast has beat the man who beat the man who beat the man..etc. It is a given title by I dont know who now, Ring magazine I guess.
    You can create a new lineal title when the top two contenders fight. Way back in the day Jim Jefferies chose two fighters to fight for the title after he retired. If say Lennox Lewis was abducted by space aliens would the lineal title go off to planet x too?

The lineal chain has been broken and reset a bunch of times but the title is largely bogus because it can be abused and used as a way to duck tougher fighters. Foreman gave up the WBA and IBF belts and then chose to fight paper contender Crawford Grimsley. Fury ate and drugged his his way to 400 pounds and then defended his lineal title against a club fighter who was a natural cruiserweight.

Comment

All opinion. There are multiple versions of the lineage. Ultimately pretty much everyone accepts and agrees on certain key points in history when it was resolved.

For the current period I still have it as unresolved.
      • I don't debate Wlad earned it.
      • I don't debate Fury won it from Wlad.
      • I debate whether he lost it or not by being banned, inactive and retiring.
      • I debate that Joshua and Klitschko were not a concensus top 2 when they fought. Since when did someone get to decide that inactivity as a result of a failed rematch warranted non-ranking?
      • I debate that Wilder and Fury were a concensus top 2 when they fought - Fury had not one credible win in his comeback. Wilder has/had no CV compared to other candidates.

So it's either vacant, with Usyk or with Fury.

Doesn't really matter. It's not a championship, it's an historic thing. History will figure it out. It's certainly not up to any organisation, boxer, promoter or TV network to decide.

Comment

Fury beat Klitschko and has never lost in the ring since.

That's how.

Comment

Lineage is a badge to not really fight top guys on a continuous basis I guess ? We’ll see if Fury folds or does what real champions do which is defend a title against fighters who want to rip the belt off him , being a champ he cannot really take warm up fights and he’ll have to fight mandatory guys . Defeating Wilder doesn’t really change anything it was a fight he was supposed to win again why is everyone acting like he has now leap frogged over everyone where he doesn’t have to fight who’s next ?

If anything the third Wilder fight really showed he can be defeated by a good boxer puncher who will set up shots so let’s see these fights .

Comment

Originally posted by REDEEMER View Post
            Lineage is a badge to not really fight top guys on a continuous basis I guess ? We’ll see if Fury folds or does what real champions do which is defend a title against fighters who want to rip the belt off him , being a champ he cannot really take warm up fights and he’ll have to fight mandatory guys . Defeating Wilder doesn’t really change anything it was a fight he was supposed to win again why is everyone acting like he has now leap frogged over everyone where he doesn’t have to fight who’s next ?

If anything the third Wilder fight really showed he can be defeated by a good boxer puncher who will set up shots so let’s see these fights .
            Fury has certainly leap frogged over everyone that lost their last fight.
            Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 10-15-2021, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
              I was hoping somebody could clarify because I only see two ways and neither appears valid.

1) Fury becomes lineal after beating Klitschko, retires for three years and returns with his status being upheld regardless of his absence which is bogus or;

2) in Dec 2018 Fury vs Wilder I was considered the establishment of a new lineage with both men being rated #1 and #2? In Dec 2018 Joshua had the WBO, WBA, IBF, belts with wins over Klitschko, Povetkin, Parker, White, Takam which surpasses anything Wilder had done so did the whore RING magazine have Wilder rated at 1 or 2 at that point in time?
              You have to beat the man that beat the man to become a lineal champ and start a new lineal.

The last lineal champ was Lennox Lewis and he retired with the lineage. A new lineage would start with an undisputed champ.

Fury isn’t the lineal champ - it’s just a marketing ploy when he came back for relevance. And he has stop claiming it since he beat Wilder and took his WBC belt. Hence I always call Fury a prolific scammer - his whole schtick is a fraud.

Undisputed fight would start a new lineage.
              REDEEMER REDEEMER likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

Fury has certainly leap frogged over everyone that lost their last fight.
                The guy who he leap frogged over has multiple title defenses and Usyk would be anyone’s current best win .

Comment

Originally posted by BangEM View Post

You have to beat the man that beat the man to become a lineal champ and start a new lineal.

The last lineal champ was Lennox Lewis and he retired with the lineage. A new lineage would start with an undisputed champ.

Fury isn’t the lineal champ - it’s just a marketing ploy when he came back for relevance. And he has stop claiming it since he beat Wilder and took his WBC belt. Hence I always call Fury a prolific scammer - his whole schtick is a fraud.

Yep this post basically sums it up on the lineage dumb stuff . It’s not really relevant anymore ,whoever is a unified champion should rank higher , it should be about the belts not belt because it’s harder to keep multiple ones . Lineage is a phantom title it’s nonsense these days because decades have passed since it actually was passed down without any conflict or confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun_Tzu View Post

It has been broken many times. The 'lineal championship" is a marketing ploy. Who did Wlad win it off? He collected most of the belts but there is no connecting him to John L Sullivan lineally. You cant even connect him to Lennox Lewis that way. No one in the last 60+ years atleast has beat the man who beat the man who beat the man..etc. It is a given title by I dont know who now, Ring magazine I guess.
                    Wlad won it vs Chaguev. Chaguev never had it but the lineal was open at this time. Wlad was 1, and Vitali was 2, but because they couldn't fight, Wlad faced number 3 Chaguev. Also, I'm sure in the history of the Lineal belt that some boxers went longer than Fury did without defending it. Another difference with the Lineal championship is you defend against anyone. Say if you were WBC champion, and faced someone who wasn't ranked, so the fight was a non-WBC title fight, the Lineal would still be on the line. Nash out.

Comment

Originally posted by BangEM View Post

Fury is the lineal champ of the Wladimir Klitschko lineage.

Comment

Working...
                      X