No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Willie Pep Biopic Set To Begin Production

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
    Shoulder... I'm not the fight coordinator for the movie. I'm just going to show him some moves and some techniques and teach him how to relax and move fluidly... stuff like that
    Ah, I see. My mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post

Yes I think the wins are a bit misleading. For every fighter with 100 wins back then I think there were fighters with 50 losses. Everyone fought a lot back then
      The fact that they fought so often tells you why they were masters of their craft back then.

You get good at something when you do it over and over again.

Comment

I am there. Had no idea this was a thing.

Comment

Glad to see a legitimate top 5 P4P ATG get some shine here.

Nobody will ever win more fights than Willie Pep, and if any of your fighters for 250 times, they'd have more than 11 losses.

Comment

Very cool! I'm looking forward to this. Willo the Wisp was incredible. I bet it ends with the Saddler rematch.

Comment

Lemme guess, he defied the odds and made it to the top ?

Comment

Looked at his Boxrec info...last 100 opponents are all over the place record wise.
                A bunch of them had 15+ losses
                Another bunch had less than 20 wins
                He lost to Sander (is there notable guy he beat ?).

Comment

BodyBagz He beat Chalky Wright 3x, including for the Featherweight title in '42. At age 20, was youngest featherweight champ ever. Beat Saddler in '49 - becoming first featherweight to EVER regain a lost title. Won his first 54 fights - a record to start a career before JC Chavez topped it. Terranova, Bartolo, Allie Stoltz, Willie Joyce, Ortiz, Jackie Graves, Jock Leslie, H Sierra, none of them slouches, top Feathers of their time, all thought they had Pep beat.

Story takes place in '65, more of a "what happens to great fighters after the lights go down" than a classic and cliched rags to riches. More so rags to riches to rags...we catch Pep on the late rags. You don't see that a lot in boxing movies.
                  Last edited by HartfordTormado; 10-03-2021, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HartfordTormado View Post
                    BodyBagz He beat Chalky Wright 3x, including for the Featherweight title in '42. At age 20, was youngest featherweight champ ever. Beat Saddler in '49 - becoming first featherweight to EVER regain a lost title. Won his first 54 fights - a record to start a career before JC Chavez topped it. Terranova, Bartolo, Allie Stoltz, Willie Joyce, Ortiz, Jackie Graves, Jock Leslie, H Sierra, none of them slouches, top Feathers of their time, all thought they had Pep beat.

Story takes place in '65, more of a "what happens to great fighters after the lights go down" than a classic and cliched rags to riches. More so rags to riches to rags...we catch Pep on the late rags. You don't see that a lot in boxing movies.
                    I'm inclined to think you may have an affection for Pep.
                    I turn my nose up at guys from that era

Too sloppy and too many ''20 w-15 d- 35 l'' resumes for my tastes

That's a different angle on the boxing bio pic.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

The fact that they fought so often tells you why they were masters of their craft back then.

You get good at something when you do it over and over again.
                      I don't understand why people don't know this. They think fighting once or twice a year against an overmatched opponent makes someone great, but over a hundred fights, with multiple fights against future hall of famers over the course of a year, is "overrated". When a person does not know or understand boxing history and tries to school someone on the science of the sport, it's hilarious. I stop by a boxing gym and talk to the owner of it quite a bit. He trains fighters the old fashion way. None of that Mayweather mitt work pecking bs and he makes sure his fighters doesn't walk around at 40-50 lbs over their weight class in between fights. We talk about the history of the sport a bit and he told me that after these old guys today from the 50s and 60s finally die off, that's it. Who's gonna carry on and spread the tradition of sweet science from the past? These superstars today are fighting twice a year. ****, 10 years from now, they may fight once every 2 years regularly.

Comment

Working...
                      X