No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jonnie Rice Upsets Michael Coffie, Stops Him Fifth Round

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post

I follow boxing every day, know a little bit about each division, above casual level, have been watching boxing since the 1990s as a child. I have never heard of this Coffie guy until tonight.

Now I am not saying I am the standard for what makes a boxer known or hyped. Like if Kev knows him, then he is known. If Kev doesn’t know him, he is unknown. Nothing like that. All I am saying is that I follow boxing everyday and check in to read news and posts every day. This is the first time I have heard of Coffie. Never seen posters hype him up.

I think we need to calm down with saying any black fighter who loses is a hypejob who was exposed and will certainly not be the next Muhammad Ali. I do not think 8-9 fans and 2 journalists hyping up a fighter means the fighter was generally hyped by the boxing community.
    Who is the "we need to calm down about black fighters who lose being hyped" are you talking to??? Yourself, I suppose, or someone else, you are NOT talking about me! Where the hell did you get race out of this thread??? And hype isn't something that just has to occur on these boards. I check here, listen to commentary, you tube, boxing articles, etc., and yeah, even the commentary in a couple of his fights was very obviously hype. Saying he is learning in leaps and bounds was one of the most ridiculous comments since the times I have seem him, he is a basic as it gets. They were still hyping him tonight when he was being dominated right to the last 30 seconds before Rice stopped him, even derogatory towards Rice. Next time leave the black fighters comment the fuck out! You're talking to ME here so address ME, not some "we"!
    Last edited by richardt; 07-31-2021, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• Rice is low level gatekeeper, Coffie is domestic club fighter. I believe Washington should be able to knock out both.

Comment

• First time watching Coffie. Based on this no one ever threw a right hand at him before. Rice landed nearly every single one. Good for Rice though, he has seemed like kind of a chronic under performer like he said himself. This will be a confidence booster which hopefully motivates him to get in better shape. He has a good skill set and hopefully this will give him a boost in the mentality as well. With better cardio he will be able to box and that version of him probably will be tricky to most heavyweights.

Comment

• Originally posted by letsgochump View Post
          First time watching Coffie. Based on this no one ever threw a right hand at him before. Rice landed nearly every single one. Good for Rice though, he has seemed like kind of a chronic under performer like he said himself. This will be a confidence booster which hopefully motivates him to get in better shape. He has a good skill set and hopefully this will give him a boost in the mentality as well. With better cardio he will be able to box and that version of him probably will be tricky to most heavyweights.
          Its funny because he was deontay Wilders sparring partner so you would assume that he can avoid the right hand lol.
          letsgochump letsgochump likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by richardt View Post
            Who is the "we need to calm down about black fighters who lose being hyped" are you talking to??? Yourself, I suppose, or someone else, you are NOT talking about me! Where the hell did you get race out of this thread??? And hype isn't something that just has to occur on these boards. I check here, listen to commentary, you tube, boxing articles, etc., and yeah, even the commentary in a couple of his fights was very obviously hype. Saying he is learning in leaps and bounds was one of the most ridiculous comments since the times I have seem him, he is a basic as it gets. They were still hyping him tonight when he was being dominated right to the last 30 seconds before Rice stopped him, even derogatory towards Rice. Next time leave the black fighters comment the fuck out! You're talking to ME here so address ME, not some "we"!
            “I check”

You are missing the point. You said it, YOU check. Richardt knows who Coffie is and therefore Coffie is well known and hyped.

I am 100% positive that many hardcore boxing fans likely did not who he was. 100 posters can quote me saying they knew who he was before this fight. That still does not mean that he is hyped/known.

Please link me to 5 youtube videos and 5 articles where the media/journalists are hyping him up. I can easily do that with boxers I feel are hype jobs. So show me, do the same with Coffie. Get me all these hype articles and videos.
            greeneye99 greeneye99 likes this.

Comment

• I watched some of Coffie's earlier fights (with Rock and with Abell) and I figured that even though I like what I see, guy's got potential and seems to be pretty clever with good power and good shot selection, he's gonna hit trouble against the first guy that comes out after him aggressively and has enough boxing ability to not get caught with anything stupid. So, here we go. Good on Rice, I bet he's going to be less timid in future fights. I do hope Coffie's going to make a comeback, though.

Comment

• Wow! There are surprising amount of users posting in this thread. I almost forgot that this fight was even happening until last evening.

Comment

• Originally posted by asgarth View Post

Its funny because he was deontay Wilders sparring partner so you would assume that he can avoid the right hand lol.
                  No way? Well, he isn't quite like Tyson Fury I have to say.

Doesn't look good for Coffie either. He seemed almost completely helpless against punches coming at him. Rice wasn't doing anything awkward of special. Just boxing fundamentals.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post

Yeah that’s a significant drop in purse. Lol
                    Big time. It's either somene like Anthony Dirrell or David Benavidez which we know Plant wants no part of.

Originally posted by JakeTheBoxer View Post
                    Rice is low level gatekeeper, Coffie is domestic club fighter. I believe Washington should be able to knock out both.
                    I thought Rice looked pretty decent. That version of him likely beats Gerald Washington.
                    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 08-01-2021, 09:16 AM.
                    Damn Wicked Damn Wicked likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post

“I check”

You are missing the point. You said it, YOU check. Richardt knows who Coffie is and therefore Coffie is well known and hyped.

I am 100% positive that many hardcore boxing fans likely did not who he was. 100 posters can quote me saying they knew who he was before this fight. That still does not mean that he is hyped/known.

Please link me to 5 youtube videos and 5 articles where the media/journalists are hyping him up. I can easily do that with boxers I feel are hype jobs. So show me, do the same with Coffie. Get me all these hype articles and videos.
                      There is no determinate VOLUME to who, how, and where a fighter is hyped, anyone knows that! It can be anywhere and any amount, in articles, youtube, on this board, or by the commentary. Hype also by definition means when a storyline exceeds the skills and abilities of the person that storyline is trying to fortify. When commentary talks about how he has improved fight to fight yet he has not and is basic as they come and they do everything to degrade the opponent, that is hype. When the fighter talks about being ready for the big leagues and others do to, yet he loses to a guy who is 14-6, that is hype. But YOU pulled race into this thread which shows how insecure you are! Next time you pull that crap, I'll put your a$$ on ignore where you belong. I have ZERO bias against fighters due to their race, color, creed and I have ZERO tolerance for jackasses like you who pull race into a thread that had NOTHING to do with race. Consider yourself warned.
                      Last edited by richardt; 08-01-2021, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X