Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Gervonta Davis: I Definitely Was Nervous The Whole Night; I Didn't Wanna Get Caught

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
    what does tank do if bob arum refuses to let guys like loma and teo near him? what if oscar says "im not risking ryan against tank this early...ryan is the face of my company now"?
    I think the more pertinent question for Davis is: what will Tank do if Floyd/Haymon refuses to pit him against anybody outside the PBC stable? Will he switch to another outfit or stay put and continue to be content with showcase fights? Or if Arum says, OK, Haymon, let's make a Lopez-Davis fight? Will Davis actually take it (provided he gets approval from Floyd)?

Comment

Originally posted by THC View Post
      I think the more pertinent question for Davis is: what will Tank do if Floyd/Haymon refuses to pit him against anybody outside the PBC stable? Will he switch to another outfit or stay put and continue to be content with showcase fights? Or if Arum says, OK, Haymon, let's make a Lopez-Davis fight? Will Davis actually take it (provided he gets approval from Floyd)?
      how is that the more pertinent question? arum has shown a willingness to hide his fighter from them....ie what he did with pac for years vs floyd....also making wilder wait for fury rematch.....i will state once again that arum shouted shawn porters name leading up to mean machine vs bud....saying he was their next target....after that fight kenny porter said "call us we can make that fight" and two weeks later bud was interviewed on camera being asked about porter "nah hes not on our radar"...lol

again....what is tank supposed to do if arum refuses to let teo and loma and even taylor play with tank? what if oscar says "man i aint risking ryan against tank...its too early...ryan is only 22-23 and hes the face of my company"........

they are going to continue as best they can building tanks name to the point that hes the a-side in virtually any fight around his weight.....

arum is going to basically tell you he wont let his guys play with tank ....and hell say its because al wouldnt let his guys play with bud...which is all bullsheet....its all done in the name of trying to beat the competition without stepping in the ring........but i bet tank thrives where bud hasnt...you wont hear tanks people saying "were losing money on tank he doesnt sell".....and please...before you try to lecture me on how youre such a great fan of the sport and the business side doesnt matter...ill say it again...it matters...more than any of us want it to...and it will continue to do so....so try seeing it through that lense

arum will try telling you he stalled the fury/wilder rematch so fury could get more work blah blah more rounds or whatever.....he did it because he thought he could make haymon and wilder scramble for an opponent and flop...and overpay wilder in the process.....thats just reality

its no different than when floyd and pac were first negotiating before floyd fought shane mosley...floyd thought they were serious....the whole time arum had pac/clottey in dallas in his back pocket...floyd wasnt talking about/with nobody else......arum/pac walk away from negotiations and suddenly floyd has to scramble to find an interesting/viable opponent....they left floyd at the altar....at the time shane was already signed to fight berto.....well the earthquake in haiti happened and haymon had berto step out of that fight(berto sited the earthquake but it was a load of BS he could have fought....pierre garcon still played in the superbowl)...haymon had berto pull out so floyd could have him.....arum has a history of running the his "fockery"........team tank are preparing to move through the next few years without his guys being available because they know the game

in business when someone acts/treats you like that the best thing to do is to prepare for life without them....tank wont lose any sleep over it....they will still make waves
      Last edited by Curt Henning; 06-30-2021, 04:42 PM.

Comment

.....and please...before you try to lecture me on how youre such a great fan of the sport and the business side doesnt matter...ill say it again...it matters...more than any of us want it to...and it will continue to do so....so try seeing it through that lense
        I'm not lecturing anybody about anything. Of course the business side of the sport heavily influences who fights who. Did I say otherwise? It's just that some fighters go with that flow because their priority for money completely undermines any desire to leave a mark on the sport. I've seen little during the last 3 years to convince me that Tank will not join this club (if he hasn't already). Getting rich fighting opponents who pose little risk works for them but I have no interest in their earnings. I just want to see great fights.

in business when someone acts/treats you like that the best thing to do is to prepare for life without them....tank wont lose any sleep over it....they will still make waves
        Which is my point. He may not lose any sleep by not fighting the best outside his pond. He may not care that the little waves emanating from his in-house match ups don't garner him the same respect and admiration shown to the Fab Four these many years later.

Comment

I'm not lecturing anybody about anything. Of course the business side of the sport heavily influences who fights who. Did I say otherwise? It's just that some fighters go with that flow because their priority for money completely undermines any desire to leave a mark on the sport. I've seen little during the last 3 years to convince me that Tank will not join this club (if he hasn't already). Getting rich fighting opponents who pose little risk works for them but I have no interest in their earnings. I just want to see great fights.

Which is my point. He may not lose any sleep by not fighting the best outside his pond. He may not care that the little waves emanating from his in-house match ups don't garner him the same respect and admiration shown to the Fab Four these many years later.
          you cant make someone fight you......ellerbe, say what you want about him but i tend to believe, is on record saying they tried to get a garcia fight and were rebuffed..........again...you arent answering my question about what hes supposed to do if bob locks him out and rematches teo/loma...then has teo move up to 140 and fight taylor...or has taylor move up and fight bud....what should tank do in this event.....how do you know that tanks team hasnt already been told or lead to believe thats exactly what will happen?

best he can do is build his name so hes the biggest he can possibly be and hope that a fight with him is so big nobody will want to pass up the opportunity.........trust this...the guys running his career are no friggin dummies....haymon aint no dummy....floyd can be sometimes but at the end of the day its haymon really making the moves and calling the shots....floyd is just a mouthpiece......haymon and espinoza know what theyre doing and will have a plan......

Comment

..........again...you arent answering my question about what hes supposed to do if bob locks him out and rematches teo/loma...then has teo move up to 140 and fight taylor...or has taylor move up and fight bud....what should tank do in this event.....how do you know that tanks team hasnt already been told or lead to believe thats exactly what will happen?
            What he should do is push for the best fights possible, whether or not Arum prevents him from fighting Lopez or Loma. Are you claiming that Barrios was the best fight he could get a 140? Also I'm not privy to what Haymon/Floyd has told Davis about his career plans. But I'm pretty confident neither are you. Therefore, to be objective, I'm basing my argument on who Davis has fought the last few years as a belt holder. The trend is becoming clearer. Like most belt holders these days, he's not a true champ. And IF he doesn't care about that distinction, then he's made my point. I hope I'm wrong and we get to see Tank in some great fights ahead.

Comment

What he should do is push for the best fights possible, whether or not Arum prevents him from fighting Lopez or Loma. Are you claiming that Barrios was the best fight he could get a 140? Also I'm not privy to what Haymon/Floyd has told Davis about his career plans. But I'm pretty confident neither are you. Therefore, to be objective, I'm basing my argument on who Davis has fought the last few years as a belt holder. The trend is becoming clearer. Like most belt holders these days, he's not a true champ. And IF he doesn't care about that distinction, then he's made my point. I hope I'm wrong and we get to see Tank in some great fights ahead.
              yes im telling you barrios was the best fight he could get at 140...and you know thats true....was he supposed to fight ramirez or taylor? lol

by pushing forward and doing what he can do to build his name he is pushing for the best fights....because thats mmuch better than going to arum and having arum deek you around all day and then back out while he had a plan to do something else the whole time....thats what bob does.....and that comes from history and experience in dealing with him.....

still havent told me what tank should do if oscar doesnt wanting him fighting ry and bob doesnt want him fighting any of his guys.........you keep dancing around that

Comment

yes im telling you barrios was the best fight he could get at 140...and you know thats true....was he supposed to fight ramirez or taylor? lol

by pushing forward and doing what he can do to build his name he is pushing for the best fights....because thats mmuch better than going to arum and having arum deek you around all day and then back out while he had a plan to do something else the whole time....thats what bob does.....and that comes from history and experience in dealing with him.....

still havent told me what tank should do if oscar doesnt wanting him fighting ry and bob doesnt want him fighting any of his guys.........you keep dancing around that
                No, I don't know that's true. You've decided that it's true. To me, Barrios was an Opponent, a minor belt holder from which a win would allow Ellerbe to claim Davis's multi-division supremacy. What were the odds? And I'm not dancing around anything. I've stated multiple times: regardless of business concerns, demand and get the best fights possible. That's the old school way of achieving greatness. Not with Gamboa, Santa Cruz, Walsh, Fonseca, etc.

You seem to have this myopic idea that every other management/promotional concern except Haymon is at fault for barring Davis from premium fights. Have you considered the possibility that his own team is feeding him showcase opponents to protect him from being pummeled by a stiff challenge (like what happened to Broner eventually)?

I'd like to see Davis forget 140 for now because there's a lot of unfinished business at 136, even 130. And he's also mentioned that 140 is a temporary venture anyway. So I'm hopefull he and his team decide to bite the bullet and make the fights that fans want. Based on what I've seen during the last few years, I'm not overly confident that this will happen. I don't sense Davis as an athlete who's a captain of his own ship. To be fair, most fighters aren't either.

Comment

No, I don't know that's true. You've decided that it's true. To me, Barrios was an Opponent, a minor belt holder from which a win would allow Ellerbe to claim Davis's multi-division supremacy. What were the odds? And I'm not dancing around anything. I've stated multiple times: regardless of business concerns, demand and get the best fights possible. That's the old school way of achieving greatness. Not with Gamboa, Santa Cruz, Walsh, Fonseca, etc.

You seem to have this myopic idea that every other management/promotional concern except Haymon is at fault for barring Davis from premium fights. Have you considered the possibility that his own team is feeding him showcase opponents to protect him from being pummeled by a stiff challenge (like what happened to Broner eventually)?

I'd like to see Davis forget 140 for now because there's a lot of unfinished business at 136, even 130. And he's also mentioned that 140 is a temporary venture anyway. So I'm hopefull he and his team decide to bite the bullet and make the fights that fans want. Based on what I've seen during the last few years, I'm not overly confident that this will happen. I don't sense Davis as an athlete who's a captain of his own ship. To be fair, most fighters aren't either.
                  ellerbe can claim whatever he wants....just like floyd claimed to be TBE....its marketing schtick...you dont have to believe it or accept it because leonard ellerbe said it lol.....ellerbe is doing what he does...his job...doesnt mean its true....yikes

its not a myopic idea...it happens...ive seen it...youve seen it...in action....promoters with a good monopoloy on a division or span of divisions will freeze other promoters out....its just reality....if arum doesnt want to play ball how does he get teo or loma? hes not going to if arum doesnt want it to happen......and the reality is is takes very rare circumstances for arum and haymon to do business.....it takes alot of money and a really big fight for that to happen....THATS NOT AN IDEA....thats just what it is and what weve seen

and yeah davis prob isnt captain of his ship....but the captain is haymon....floyd and ellerbe are just mouthpieces that just run their mouths and say whatever they want....but make no mistake haymon is good and successful at what he does....so hes a good guy to trust running your ship..and hes linked with stephen espinoza...and that guys pretty good and knows the biz.....id trust those guys running my ship too based on history

i think youll see tank fight rolly romero soon....after that im not entirely sure....but i think theyll build colbert up and look to match them up down the line...how far down the line or how long it takes i dont know...

id love to see tank fight ry, loma or teo right now....would be awesome...ive invested nothing in tank...im a white male from coast of new england....if he loses it does nothing to me....i lose no sleep, no pride or anything.....but im realistic....they arent likely to happen soon...because of politics.....

Comment

Working...
                  X