Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ponce Was Shocked Fight Continued After Ritson's Corner Threw in Towel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t think it’s worth it honestly. I don’t care if a ref can ignore the towel, it’s not worth it. Boxers get hurt badly and the ref is the first that gets looked at for possible lawsuits. If you are still doing that as a ref today, you’re just incompetent, plain and simple. Unless you’re a glutton for lawsuits. Ritson and his family can still come after that ref even now. They definitely can. Ritson can lie and say the last few minutes of beating he took made him get injured beyond repair and he can’t fight anymore.
    landotter likes this.

Comment

I saw it once, ref ignored it and supposed loosing fighter KDed his oppponent in 10-20 seconds after that! Sadly, he still lost later with a KO but ref was right by not stopping the fight back then.
      https://fb.watch/66DQMf8y_S/
      https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=354521598219721
      <iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=354521598219721" width="650" height="400" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

P.S. How the fuk to embed a video into this frankensteined forum???
      Last edited by Ajvar; 06-14-2021, 12:33 AM.

Comment

I get the rule. Once the fight begins, the only impartial person involved with it should be the ref. He is the only one in the ring with both combatants, and has (hopefully) zero vested interest in the outcome of the fight. He is the only one that can truly see the fight close up, seeing the shots as the actually connect and how each fighter is holding up and taking the punishment. In most commissions, the ringside doctor cannot actually stop the fight either. It is up to the ref to call him in to examine a cut or injury, and up to him if he takes the advice of the doctor or not. While protecting the boxers from themselves is the most important job a ref has and enforcing rules is almost as vital,, he also has an obligation to allow the boxers to fight their way back into a match if they feel there is any chance of it happening. This is their careers, after all.

I did not see this fight, so I have no opinion on this decision. I will say refs should allow corners to make those calls the vast majority of the time as they know their fighter. But I do understand the rule and would rather see it not change. Hold the referee responsible for his decisions, but leave the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by budfr View Post

What an ignorant clown here with your " overrated " list...
          My overrated list is awesome and truly worthy of notice and respect.

Comment

Originally posted by BritJimbo View Post
            All the Argentine boxers that come to the UK seem nice
            Ponce is a class act. He's gone into 3 opponents' backyards, beat them (2 by TKO), then showed tremendous respect and sportsmanship after. He lifted up the Italian guy to the cheering hometown crowd and seemed to show genuine concern for a downed Ritson.

Easy young man to be a fan of, not to mention he has an all-action fan-friendly style and never stops throwing.

Comment

That referee should be called in to explain his decision, this is how Hometown boxers get an advantage, and the refs doesn’t even need to be from the same country as the hometown boxer.

How TF do you throw out the towel when his team threw it in to save him from more punishment, either Ritson had pissed off the ref beforehand or someone has a bet on which round he would be taken out and wanted his money. Disgusting

Comment

Steve Gray giving his side:

[Content is Protected, Please Register For Free To Unlock This Content]

Comment

Originally posted by budfr View Post
                  Latinos are destroying Brits in their turf.....overrated fighters some of them but recently hyped by the media due to DAZN and other business interests.
                  They are definitely destroying us. Overrated doe? Who here overrate Ritson or Warrington? Overhype? Yep that’s because they are either with DAZN or signed with Matchroom, and if you are with Eddie Hearn then he would talk you up (Overhype his product).

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManRumble View Post
                    Steve Gray giving his side:

[Content is Protected, Please Register For Free To Unlock This Content]
                    Dumb explanation from him here, and he is a British ref as well. Doesn’t matter what he thinks, once his corner decides to throw the towel in then you stop the fight, when Bayless stopped Wilder he didn’t really want to stop the fight. It was only because Breland threw in the towel and he respected that action.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post

Dumb explanation from him here, and he is a British ref as well. Doesn’t matter what he thinks, once his corner decides to throw the towel in then you stop the fight, when Bayless stopped Wilder he didn’t really want to stop the fight. It was only because Breland threw in the towel and he respected that action.
                      Well if it's up to the referee's discretion it does matter what he thinks. Not like the corner seems too upset about it in the dressing room post-fight. Like myself and others have said if the corner was really so concerned why didn't they climb the apron and jump in front of Ritson and take the DQ? I know that's what I'd do if I was concerned for my son's safety and they wouldn't stop the fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X