Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ponce Was Shocked Fight Continued After Ritson's Corner Threw in Towel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats more shocking is when the ref threw back the towel, his corner could have stepped into the ring and that would have ended the fight right there, in a DQ of course, but no more punishment.
    landotter likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash out View Post

I've heard of it happening a few times, but it's the first time I have actually seeing it. I just think if a ref refuses a towel, and someone gets seriously damaged afterward, or even dies, then the ref will have so much to answer for, and even be potentially responsible for injury/death. If a boxers team pulls him out, that should be that.
      I get it but the rule is that throwing in the towel is more symbolic than anything else. Refs usually do abide by the corner's wishes during the round but they do not have too. As far as liability? It's not only the ref but ringside doctor's as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Brettcappe View Post

I get it but the rule is that throwing in the towel is more symbolic than anything else. Refs usually do abide by the corner's wishes during the round but they do not have too. As far as liability? It's not only the ref but ringside doctor's as well!
        I'm just thinking as far as the reaction of the viewers. if it happened, it would be all over Twitter/social media and it would be all about the referee not accepting the towel.

Comment

I'm just thinking as far as the reaction of the viewers. if it happened, it would be all over Twitter/social media and it would be all about the referee not accepting the towel.
          Very true! The ref would be crucified by the media and the fans.
          landotter and Nash out like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Brettcappe View Post

If a trainer stops the fight of his fighter by throwing in the towel,or by verbally telling the ref,its supposed to be an automatic tko.(any ref who throws it back when a fighters taking a beating is a moron & should be DQ'd from reffing.)

Its so ingrained into the rules,that even though a fighter protests to the extreme,the fight is still automatically supposed to be stopped.(the only exception would be if the ref didn't see who threw it,& he also has discretion to wait for a opening)

And forgot to add,yes its technically the refs discretion,but any good ref should stop it if a fighters getting his ass kicked & has no shot of winning
            Last edited by kushking; 06-13-2021, 11:37 AM.
            landotter and icee like this.

Comment

The ref can be sued for wrongful death/injury if the fighter gets killed/seriously injured, because the family can easily argue that the ref let a fighter get killed/injured. Its just not worth it imo.

(its funny how gambling is used as a reason for not listening as if the corner can predict that the fighter would be getting kd & beat up in the exact rd.

(if a fighter/corner wanted to cheat for gambling purposes,the fighter can just take a dive,& the trainer can just enter the ring,so to me that's hella dumb, unless it was the water boy who threw it)
              Last edited by kushking; 06-13-2021, 11:41 AM.

Comment

First time I had seen it and despite reading about it in the past was still confused at the moment; never expected to actually see it in boxing today. Good thing Ritson wasn't seriously hurt. He seemed too game for his own good....

Comment

Originally posted by kushking View Post
                  The ref can be sued for wrongful death/injury if the fighter gets killed/seriously injured, because the family can easily argue that the ref let a fighter get killed/injured. Its just not worth it imo.

(its funny how gambling is used as a reason for not listening as if the corner can predict that the fighter would be getting kd & beat up in the exact rd.

(if a fighter/corner wanted to cheat for gambling purposes,the fighter can just take a dive,& the trainer can just enter the ring,so to me that's hella dumb, unless it was the water boy who threw it)
                  No argument here but the ref is the closest one to the action at the moment. Most towel throws are honored but there have been a few times that they weren't. Maybe if Bayless let Wilder get completely crushed then Breland would still have a job. On the other hand Wilder may have been seriously injured and he would have had real issues instead of the "egg weights" and "tainted water" complaints!

Comment

Latinos are destroying Brits in their turf.....overrated fighters some of them but recently hyped by the media due to DAZN and other business interests.

Comment

What an ignorant clown here with your " overrated " list...

Comment

Working...
                      X