Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sky Sports Finalizes Content Partnerships With Top Rank, BOXXER

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
    I which they could have reached a distribution deal with the PBC because Top Rank sucks.
    If I think back to what are some of the better fights of the last year, Top Rank have been involved in a lot of them.

Estrada vs Chocolatito, Valdez vs Berchelt, Taylor vs Ramirez, Loma vs Lopez (not a great fight, but a big event, a compelling matchup), all Top Rank. And they have Crawford and Fury. I dislike Arum, but Top Rank has some really good fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Haymon View Post

Nobody is stopping them from making a deal with PBC. It was probably not their first choice because they focus mainly on one demographic and Top Rank is more international, they have Fury and Taylor from the UK in their stable.
      That is a damn lie! Al Haymon has a very diverse talent pool. He has the largest roster of boxers in the world.

More importantly, he has fighters of many different stripes, colors, ethnic backgrounds and demographics in his stable like: Manny Pacquiao, and soon to be Canelo Alvarez once he signs with the PBC to fight Caleb Plant.

The demographic to which you prefer only comprise about 30 percent of his entire roster. The vast majority of his fighters are either Latino, Asian or White. You shouldn't make presumptions based off the color of one's skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Fisto View Post

If I think back to what are some of the better fights of the last year, Top Rank have been involved in a lot of them.

Estrada vs Chocolatito, Valdez vs Berchelt, Taylor vs Ramirez, Loma vs Lopez (not a great fight, but a big event, a compelling matchup), all Top Rank. And they have Crawford and Fury. I dislike Arum, but Top Rank has some really good fighters.
        Top Rank does a lousy job of marketing and promoting its fighters like the PBC does. Just take a close look at how are they are treating both Terence Crawford and Teofimo Lopez. In addition, Bob is so outdated that he doesn't move with the times.

I bet you if Crawford and Lopez were fighting on the PBC then they both would be getting a much bigger promotional push than they are at Top Rank. While Top Rank have some decent fighters and put on some good cards but yet none of their fighters have crossover appeal with the mainstream casual fan. Which is why he often under pays them.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
          That is a damn lie! Al Haymon has a very diverse talent pool. He has the largest roster of boxers in the world.

More importantly, he has fighters of many different stripes, colors, ethnic backgrounds and demographics in his stable like: Manny Pacquiao, and soon to be Canelo Alvarez once he signs with the PBC to fight Caleb Plant.

The demographic to which you prefer only comprise about 30 percent of his entire roster. The vast majority of his fighters are either Latino, Asian or White. You shouldn't make presumptions based off the color of one's skin.

Pacquiao is being used to build up Spence. Canelo isn't signing with PBC, it'll be a co-promotion with Matchroom. None of the Latino or Asian fighters get the same push as Wilder, Tank and Spence. Donaire is a hall of famer and he fought in an empty stadium, got paid peanuts and got terrible ratings because PBC never bothered to promote the fight. Barrios is getting sacrificed to Tank just like Santa Cruz was.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Haymon View Post

Pacquiao is being used to build up Spence. Canelo isn't signing with PBC, it'll be a co-promotion with Matchroom. None of the Latino or Asian fighters get the same push as Wilder, Tank and Spence. Donaire is a hall of famer and he fought in an empty stadium, got paid peanuts and got terrible ratings because PBC never bothered to promote the fight. Barrios is getting sacrificed to Tank just like Santa Cruz was.
            Oh my! The state of California was still under Covid-19 restrictions which is why there were so many empty seats at the Nonito Donaire event. Also, it was Donaire's choice to fight on the PBC; No one twisted his arm to do it.

In any case, if the PBC was so bad then why is Manny Pacquiao making his third consecutive appearance on the PBC? He could've easily signed with Top Rank or Matchroom but didn't; So why?

Moreover, what about Danny Garcia and Leo Santa Cruz; Two Latin fighters? Didn't they both get significant pushes from the PBC? Haven't they both made a lot of money fighting under the PBC banner?

So don't pretend that Al Haymon doesn't do right by his non black fighters because he does. He does right by all of his fighters. Leo Santa Cruz named his son after him and Danny Garcia's father Angel Garcia at one point called him God. All boxers love the PBC; Which is why more of them are signed to it than any other promotional company in the world.

I agree that Top Rank are better at matchmaking than the PBC but the PBC are better at producing more crossover stars with the casual fan than Top Rank. Outside of ESPN + and Tyson Fury; When was the last time that Top Rank has produced a pay per view card? They can't with its current roster because outside of boxing fans none of them are popular or marketable with the casual fan.

In his own words Bob Arum said it was too risky. Which is why he allowed Teofimo Lopez and Manny Pacquiao to fight on other platforms and is also on the verge of releasing Terence Crawford from his contract once it expires because he fears taking financial losses by putting their fights on pay per view.

He said it isn't good business or profitable from a marketing standpoint.

Comment

Working...
            X