Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Claressa Shields Makes MMA Debut, Stops Brittney Elkin in Third

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMLT87
    replied
    Originally posted by Dakuwaqa View Post
    Looking forward to UFC 263?
    100%. Its been a really quiet few weeks after the last PPV.

That Bellator card tonight is good too.

Leave a comment:

• Marchegiano
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Eff Pandas
    replied
    Originally posted by DougalDylan View Post

In womens boxing all the strength in depth is at the lower weights just look at the number of registered boxers, Shields picked up a lot of those belts vacant.

Anyway not hating could look to her hope she gets her money but at the end of the day its viewers that matter .. maybe MMA gives her that.
    I mean okay, but that was her situation when she was in the division. What can you do. The more disturbing reality for women in boxing is there isn't anyone to pass the torch to you to even get the big paydays like there is in men's boxing. So the writing is already on the wall if they are looking.

But yea I think there are a lot more eyes on female MMA than female boxing & that's a reason there is more money there.

Leave a comment:

• Dakuwaqa
    replied
    Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post

Ngannou would do well in any era but if you send him back a decade to the UFC division of the time or the Strikeforce GP i'm not convinced he reaches the top like hes managed to now. Theres just not many well rounded, athletic HWs in their prime around right now, Gane is probably the best possible challenger but his lack of power would probably be his downfall vs Ngannou.

Eh, I think hypothetical purple belt Gassiev would lose to prime DC, Jones, Rumble, Bader, Davis, Gus, Glover and probably others tbh. Having said that, current 205 is far removed from those days, its possibly even worse than HW now.
    Yeah I’m not so sure. I think he could end up with a winning record against those guys. I’m obviously biased as boxing is my first love.

Looking forward to UFC 263?

Leave a comment:

• Nightfall
    replied
    This is why a UFC fighter should never enter a boxing ring. They'll just get beat on until the fight is stopped. It's a bad match up for both sides. The first two rounds proved that boxers should stay in their lanes as well

Leave a comment:

• Eff Pandas
    replied
    Originally posted by buddyr View Post

cmon man, now you know anyone can win a belt today. Some people are fighting for belts in their 4th or 5th fight with the WBO becoming a major title and the 3 or 4 titles the WBA has. I'm a fan and have been since her first gold medal, but as I said last week, these fighters today complaining about exposure and being a star, fighting twice a year won't do early in your career. I hope she's successful at what she does, but I dont like the current boxing model of 2 or 3 fights a year for 20 year olds. and then complaining about not being a star when they have never fought on free tv
    Sure. But as mentioned she was also #1 in 3 divisions also. That's bigger than a belt. How many divisions DOES she need to be #1 in before she deserves 7 digit paydays? The answer is it don't even matter cuz there is no money in female boxing. There is money in female MMA. That's my point not the side topic of belts or #1 in a division.

Leave a comment:

• Smash
    replied
    fair play to her, taking on a new sport is very tough, i hope she gets what she wants out of it

Leave a comment:

• Eff Pandas
    replied
    Originally posted by Dreamking View Post

Not a single Woman in MMA has EVER made 7 figures. The #1 paid fighter has only made 450k. Women will get paid better when they bring in the views. Simple as that.
    Not true. Simple as that.

Leave a comment:

• TMLT87
    replied
    Originally posted by Dakuwaqa View Post

Yeah I do think Ngannou has the attributes to be successful in any era though. No ones beating Khabib at 155. He’s a close to unbeatable as you get. No wrestler is beating him either.

Imagine a Murat Gassiev as a purple belt with 5 years of defence wrestling. Granite chin, punches outrageously hard. I’d give him a legit chance vs Jones Jones or DC.
    Ngannou would do well in any era but if you send him back a decade to the UFC division of the time or the Strikeforce GP i'm not convinced he reaches the top like hes managed to now. Theres just not many well rounded, athletic HWs in their prime around right now, Gane is probably the best possible challenger but his lack of power would probably be his downfall vs Ngannou.

Eh, I think hypothetical purple belt Gassiev would lose to prime DC, Jones, Rumble, Bader, Davis, Gus, Glover and probably others tbh. Having said that, current 205 is far removed from those days, its possibly even worse than HW now.

Leave a comment:

• Dakuwaqa
    replied
    Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post

Up to a point, yeah. I think theres still a ceiling though for the most part. Your defensive grappling can be developed enough to take you pretty far but eventually you're likely gonna run into a Khabib, an usman, a DC etc etc.

Bear in mind Adesanya is a kickboxer so he already had a lot of extra tools for MMA which has saved him time. As for Ngannou, I think HW in both sports is much easier for someone to transition into because the overall level of skill and athleticism is relatively weak, doesnt hurt (for him) that HW MMA is in one of its weakest eras either.

Yeah I do think Ngannou has the attributes to be successful in any era though. No ones beating Khabib at 155. He’s a close to unbeatable as you get. No wrestler is beating him either.

Imagine a Murat Gassiev as a purple belt with 5 years of defence wrestling. Granite chin, punches outrageously hard. I’d give him a legit chance vs Jones Jones or DC.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X