Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilder fans, we all know your guy is risk averse, but surely you could agree David Price would be an easy touch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingGilgamesh View Post

Wilder is a loudmouth clown, but he's no *****. I remember a couple years ago reading a piece that spent a lot of time ****ting on Wilder but kinda lent a really good amount of perspective as well.

https://deadspin.com/boxing-is-going...-if-1823455306

Its become an established narrative that Wilder hasn't fought any tough opposition. Its half true, but then also kind of not true. Be it the fight that fell through with Povetkin, the two fights with Ortiz, the two fights with Fury...Wilder's resume isn't fantastic, but its hardly the worst in the division either. I think the compelling part is this though.

Wilder, for most of his career, just doesn't sell. PBC was never able to build an established narrative/myth around him. I think its a shame but, fundamentally, it comes down to a lack of discernable boxing pedigree/skill in a market where skill and pedigree matter a lot. When looking at other established PBC stars such as Spence, Davis and Charlo...all have incredible raw talent combined with skill and that dynamic, "new school" style that we're used to seeing from Americans. Wilder is an aberration in this front, other than watching his cartoonish KO power, he's a bit of pain to even look at in the ring.In a mature boxing market, this wont really fly. As I've heard plenty of times, Wilder would be star if he was in the UFC or British. But he's not. But what is a shame is that he's stuck between a rock and a hard place, he lacks the respect among American boxing fans and he's hated in the UK for being the sole American piece in a mostly British puzzle.

In truth, I consider Joshua far, FAAAR more risk averse than Wilder. But in the worst way, the kind of risk averse whose not only terrified of risk but wants to pull the wool over your eyes by taking past it/under performing opponents who've not really gone onto do anything significant. Wlad came off a loss, Takam has been KOed by journeyman, Povetkin has declined (inevitably due to age), Parker's career is in the toilet and Whyte doesn't really seem to have gone anywhere either. On paper, these opponents look far better than anything Wilder has fought but, in reality, they're not. Pretty much all of them have lost to opponents far inferior to Wilder even.

I'm saying all this to say I kinda feel the "risk averse" is mostly an aspersion cast upon by those who'll likely never show respect to an opponent Wilder has fought no matter how good they are.
    How many mandatory fights has Wilder fought ?

Comment

People are still under the delusion Price can’t box . It’s a 50/50 or 55 /45 in favor of Wilder ,whoever lands clean first wins . Fighting a guy like Price and not keeping him at bay or pressure him is dangerous. Wilder would be at risk at getting knocked out , are we going to keep ignoring he doesn’t throw many punches per round and he has made the worst excuses for losing in history of any combat sport so we don’t even know how he will look going forward from here ?
      Last edited by REDEEMER; 04-22-2021, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by REDEEMER View Post

How many mandatory fights has Wilder fought ?
        He's fought 3 mandos despite Povetkin holding up the WBC for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

He's fought 3 mandos despite Povetkin holding up the WBC for years.
          Exactly my point . Povetkin didn’t hold up any fight ,Wilder fought Arreola 2 months later as a hand picked Mandatory even though Povetkin was cleared , Wilder didn’t want it so he made the Arreola fight as quick as he could .

Stiverne was even a mandatory out of shape and not boxing for nearly 2 years but A.J took the easy fights right , terrified of taking hard fights according to the other head case I initially responded to ? Ha
          Last edited by REDEEMER; 04-22-2021, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneMosleySr View Post
            He’s so risk averse, he fought Luis Ortiz and Tyson Fury twice.

He’s pushing to fight Fury a third time.

”Risk averse”

LOL
            yea fighting a guy whos like 50 year olds on blood pressure medication (they brought in charles martin on standby in the first fight) and a guy who had been out of the ring for years, was 30 stone suicidal and on class A drugs is very very risky!!!!
            REDEEMER REDEEMER likes this.

Comment

Exactly my point . Povetkin didn’t hold up any fight ,Wilder fought Arreola 2 months later as a hand picked Mandatory even though Povetkin was cleared , Wilder didn’t want it so he made the Arellano fight as quick as he could .

Stiverne was even a mandatory out of shape and not boxing for nearly 2 years but A.J took the easy fights right ? Ha
              God damn son, always gotta step into it huh?

Arreola was a stand in for Pov who was far from passing anything but rather failing his drug tests to fight Bermane.

Dude failed two different tests for two different drugs, but yeah, not him fault doe. Was "cleared" doe.

While Wilder fought Chris Pov was fighting an unsanctioned fight with Wilder's leftovers. Unsanctioned because the WBC does not sanction fights for guys who fail drug tests.

Wilder fought Bermane because PissPov did it again. Bermane got moved into mando because Pov pissed his way out of fighting Bermane.

Just wrong, again.

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post

yea fighting a guy whos like 50 year olds on blood pressure medication (they brought in charles martin on standby in the first fight) and a guy who had been out of the ring for years, was 30 stone suicidal and on class A drugs is very very risky!!!!
                This is a great point also but it was A.J terrified of risky fights according to the demented on here ? Ha

Comment

Exactly my point . Povetkin didn’t hold up any fight ,Wilder fought Arreola 2 months later as a hand picked Mandatory even though Povetkin was cleared , Wilder didn’t want it so he made the Arreola fight as quick as he could .

Stiverne was even a mandatory out of shape and not boxing for nearly 2 years but A.J took the easy fights right , terrified of taking hard fights according to the other head case I initially responded to ? Ha
                  People like you are contributing factors as to why Joshua has gone backwards in recent years. Always here to defend your idols honour. Its pathetic.

But this is also why Wilder, rightly, hasn't captured the states. In the UK weak minded dorks with no eye for talent (and who've never stepped into a boxing ring) dominate a lot of the boxing discourse. Hence why Fury and Joshua have, comparatively, done rather little compared to past greats in terms of establishing resume's of consistent opponents. I feel all three are as bad as each other when it comes to picking their opponents, just in different ways. At least Wilder isn't given any credit for it.

Comment

Arreola was a stand in for Pov who was far from passing anything but rather failing his drug tests to fight Bermane.

Dude failed two different tests for two different drugs, but yeah, not him fault doe. Was "cleared" doe.

While Wilder fought Chris Pov was fighting an unsanctioned fight with Wilder's leftovers. Unsanctioned because the WBC does not sanction fights for guys who fail drug tests.

Wilder fought Bermane because PissPov did it again. Bermane got moved into mando because Pov pissed his way out of fighting Bermane.

Just wrong, again.
                    Always wrong. He's addicted to being an idiot.

Comment

Just wrong, again.
                      You replied to me head case so I answered you ? Ha

Arreola was not on stand by show me a link that says that ? I know that’s another lie because they made that fight within 3/4 weeks announcement . Ha

How did Povetkin hold up the WBC for years , Wilder didn’t become champion until 2015 ?

Povetkin was fighting Stiverne who actually popped first when Povetkin tested for something else what are you talking about , Wilder wasn’t involved there ? Ha

Once again clueless about everything .
                      Last edited by REDEEMER; 04-22-2021, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X