Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilder fans, we all know your guy is risk averse, but surely you could agree David Price would be an easy touch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilder fans, we all know your guy is risk averse, but surely you could agree David Price would be an easy touch?

I mean...poor Wilder. He can't make himself relevant without fighting top guys, but he can't fight top guys because he knows he loses. I'd personally give him a pass for taking on Price. He really should be fighting Whyte or Povetkin, but it'd be funny if he risked his....erm....'reputation' (lol) against Price and got starched. I'd pay to see that.

You wanna kill Pricey?
    Marchegiano likes this.

Comment

That fight would have been pretty cool before the Tony Thompson situation.

Now it'd be ridiculous. So....yes, hes a possible opponent for Wilder.

Comment

Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post
        That fight would have been pretty cool before the Tony Thompson situation.

Now it'd be ridiculous. So....yes, hes a possible opponent for Wilder.
        Lol, nailed it! But seriously, how can he make himself relevant again? He won't take on the tough fights like Whyte, Parker etc, and if he just fights lower tier guys then he's not climbing the ladder again. I think he will take an easy touch and then, while the others are still occupied with their rematch, he might take a risk like Whyte, and that will be the end of Deontay Wilder.

Comment

Originally posted by Froch_uppercut View Post

Lol, nailed it! But seriously, how can he make himself relevant again? He won't take on the tough fights like Whyte, Parker etc, and if he just fights lower tier guys then he's not climbing the ladder again. I think he will take an easy touch and then, while the others are still occupied with their rematch, he might take a risk like Whyte, and that will be the end of Deontay Wilder.
          Wilder would be a heavy bookies favourite to knock the bum Whyte spark out.

Comment

Originally posted by Froch_uppercut View Post

I honestly wouldnt mind Wilder vs Charles Martin.

Comment

He’s so risk averse, he fought Luis Ortiz and Tyson Fury twice.

He’s pushing to fight Fury a third time.

”Risk averse”

LOL

Comment

At this point any fight is better than more silence.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneMosleySr View Post
                  He’s so risk averse, he fought Luis Ortiz and Tyson Fury twice.

He’s pushing to fight Fury a third time.

”Risk averse”

LOL
                  Wilder is a loudmouth clown, but he's no *****. I remember a couple years ago reading a piece that spent a lot of time ****ting on Wilder but kinda lent a really good amount of perspective as well.

When Luis Ortiz initially signed to fight Deontay Wilder in the summer of 2017, I perhaps too pedantically opined that the fight would never take place: Luis Ortiz was an infinitely better fighter than Deontay Wilder, and couldn’t be beaten by him in any real fight. I wrote—again perhaps too pedantically—that there may be arguments for making a heavyweight title defense in a fight you have no chance of winning, but none of them include losing for no money as you allow yourself to be humiliated.
                  https://deadspin.com/boxing-is-going...-if-1823455306

Its become an established narrative that Wilder hasn't fought any tough opposition. Its half true, but then also kind of not true. Be it the fight that fell through with Povetkin, the two fights with Ortiz, the two fights with Fury...Wilder's resume isn't fantastic, but its hardly the worst in the division either. I think the compelling part is this though.

Al Haymon and PBC seem to understand that they have a problem with Deontay Wilder. They see how, despite the ceaseless “American heavyweight champion” rah rah, the nationalist glory of an Olympic medal, the lossless record, the cartoonish one-punch knockouts, the high-octane interviews that veer from piousness to over-the-edge violence—these things all bundled in with the genuinely heartwarming back story of the champ’s love for his daughter Naieya, whose spina bifida served as the catalyst for his embarking on a pro career—their guy just isn’t selling tickets.
                  Wilder, for most of his career, just doesn't sell. PBC was never able to build an established narrative/myth around him. I think its a shame but, fundamentally, it comes down to a lack of discernable boxing pedigree/skill in a market where skill and pedigree matter a lot. When looking at other established PBC stars such as Spence, Davis and Charlo...all have incredible raw talent combined with skill and that dynamic, "new school" style that we're used to seeing from Americans. Wilder is an aberration in this front, other than watching his cartoonish KO power, he's a bit of pain to even look at in the ring.In a mature boxing market, this wont really fly. As I've heard plenty of times, Wilder would be star if he was in the UFC or British. But he's not. But what is a shame is that he's stuck between a rock and a hard place, he lacks the respect among American boxing fans and he's hated in the UK for being the sole American piece in a mostly British puzzle.

In truth, I consider Joshua far, FAAAR more risk averse than Wilder. But in the worst way, the kind of risk averse whose not only terrified of risk but wants to pull the wool over your eyes by taking past it/under performing opponents who've not really gone onto do anything significant. Wlad came off a loss, Takam has been KOed by journeyman, Povetkin has declined (inevitably due to age), Parker's career is in the toilet and Whyte doesn't really seem to have gone anywhere either. On paper, these opponents look far better than anything Wilder has fought but, in reality, they're not. Pretty much all of them have lost to opponents far inferior to Wilder even.

I'm saying all this to say I kinda feel the "risk averse" is mostly an aspersion cast upon by those who'll likely never show respect to an opponent Wilder has fought no matter how good they are.

Comment

I'm not a Wilder fan, not at all.

But I believe that even his mentally disintegrated version would still be able to knock a number of opponents out with a single shot.

Whyte for sure, and - most probably - even this hyped slimmed-down version of Andy Ruiz Jr.

Comment

Working...
                    X