Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people overrate 'defensive' boxers today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people overrate 'defensive' boxers today?

There was probably always some degree of overrating fighters like that. But in general boxing was always a sport where the aggressor was rewarded, sometimes too much even, sometimes just for being the aggressor.

Overrating of defensive fighters today is probably the biggest pet peeve I have with the sport. It is a multi-step problem that encompasses 3 of the worst types of fans -

1) it isn't just the tribal fans - but that is part of it. 2) It also has to do with fans who are arrogant/have overall inferiority complexes, and want to act like they are seeing something with the defensive fighter that only a trained eye can see - that they are truly seeing 'the sweet science.' 3) And then also, some people seem to have sort of a fear/physical inferiority of the aggressive/big punching fighters. The way they combat this, is to overrate or overhype the defensive guys, either in mythical matchups or in their actual fight performances.

Rewarding the 'defensive' fighter with almost every round that is close/has little action, is just terrible for the sport. I don't think it comes down to race or even nationality with all of it either as the 3 biggest examples in my head are 1) Mayweather - a lot of his fights; 2) Ward - a lot of his fights, and then 3) Fury - his 1st fight with Wilder, and even some of his fight with Wlad (I snoozed through a lot of it and never really scored it.)

Also 4) most MMA guys, from all backgrounds, were picking Stipe to beat Ngannou - saying Stipe was just levels above him, when I feel like anyone who watched that first fight, could tell that some of those shots Stipe took, I wouldn't bet on him being able to take all of those again.

We need to get back to scoring each round for the guy who does the best work in that round, and leaving it at that. No extra points for dancing around, or because the defensive fighter didn't get beat up.

Would you like to give an example?

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
      Would you like to give an example?
      Not trying to be snarky - but did you read my post?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing-1013 View Post

Not trying to be snarky - but did you read my post?
        Yes, did you edit it? I could have sworn a large portion of that wasn't there when I posted...

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post

Yes, did you edit it? I could have sworn a large portion of that wasn't there when I posted...
          No, but I've seen delays in my posts being updated after an edit. So maybe the whole site is just slow with uploading posts in general or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing-1013 View Post

No, but I've seen delays in my posts being updated after an edit. So maybe the whole site is just slow with uploading posts in general or something.
            or I somehow missed everything after "either in mythical matchups or in their actual fight performances."

which is alarming lol

Comment

Some get overrated some don't. Danny Garcia I think is the most overrated fighter in boxing. He fights off the back foot and waits for counters because he just is not skilled enough to fight going forward and relying on his defense when he puts himself in danger. But Demetrius Andrade can fight off the front foot and the back foot really well.

Comment

The fans just like to feel smart saying shlt like "duh sweet science, hIt and dOnt get hit, he slick" along with cheesyass metaphors.

Comment

Boxers with a good defense have always been highly rated and respected in this sport.

Jack Johnson, Willie Pep, Niccolino Locche, Pernell Whitaker...I could go on.

There's nothing new about that. Only to newbs maybe.

Comment

Good defense is a sign that fighter fights good competition. You don`t develop defensive skills fighting bums.

Comment

Working...
                    X