Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Josh Kelly Trainer Switch: How About Derrick James?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the best thing Booth does is throw in the towel when his guys are about to take a beating. Shane McGuigan seems a straight upgrade, tactically. The main thing for Kelly is his mindset, his basic approach, is wrong. Maybe that can't be fixed, but if it can then he needs a new trainer, I agree with that. What about Rob McCracken? Joshua has had to accept his flaws and rebuild as a cautious 12-round fighter. People are saying Caleb Plant's trainer (Justin Gamber). Today's Joshua is a heavyweight Plant.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post

Don't get me wrong stylistically James would help for sure with that being said, I doubt Kelly has any plans on moving to Texas. Mark Tibbs maybe? Not sure Adam Booth is the problem more so the problem being Josh Kelly himself!
      I mean if he wants to stay in the UK, then sure any of the names mentioned could work. But I think coming stateside can really help him. Just better work for WWs and in the case of James, we have already seen him turn around Charlo who had some of the same issues as Kelly.

Comment

Originally posted by keithj View Post
        I think the best thing Booth does is throw in the towel when his guys are about to take a beating. Shane McGuigan seems a straight upgrade, tactically. The main thing for Kelly is his mindset, his basic approach, is wrong. Maybe that can't be fixed, but if it can then he needs a new trainer, I agree with that. What about Rob McCracken? Joshua has had to accept his flaws and rebuild as a cautious 12-round fighter. People are saying Caleb Plant's trainer (Justin Gamber). Today's Joshua is a heavyweight Plant.
        Instead of Gamber, I'd definitely rather him go to James. He needs that hard sparring and needs to be FORCED sit down and gain respect from his opponents. Does anyone even know what kind of fighters Kelly even spars with?

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
          Adam Booth is a great trainer, and Kelly suits his specific methodologies. Kelly has all the traits as a fighter, Booth likes to work with etc

The only other gym, that I think may be good for Kelly is 'Dominic Ingle'.

All in all, people need to stop pointing the finger to the trainers 'Sometimes fighters just are not good enough on the night'.
          What makes Adam Booth a great trainer?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

What makes Adam Booth a great trainer?
            What makes Adam Booth a great trainer? I just think he is a real great trainer.

Shoulder roll that is as deep and introspective I will get on this subject. Because in all honesty? I am put off by this terrible forum layout and interface.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
              i think most people acknowledge that while Josh Kelly has some skills, he is missing a lot elements to his game that he needs for the pro game. So instantly after the fight many mentioned McGuigan or Ingle or other UK based trainers. And on face value, that makes sense. However, I feel like Derrick James would be a very good fit for him. Jermell used to be a fighter who had solid skills but would move around the ring a lot and wouldn't sit on his shots much. Well, that changed with James and you can argue that Charlo is too KO happy at times but he's turned into a dangerous fighter. Both of James top fighters control the tempo of fights and know when to inflict damage and when to box. When you watch Kelly, he just doesn't know when to sit down on his shots and when to move. He doesn't jab nearly enough and that's a strength of both Jermell and Errol.

With James, Kelly would get top notch sparring in the gym and would quickly develop into more of a pro style opposed to his current amateur style. I don't know if James will ever be able to make Kelly into a true world class fighter, but I think some of his flaws would go away and he would become a more dangerous fighter. Simply put the way he fights, he will never be able to hold off any decent pressure fighter and will get stopped. Spence always gets good sparring with young up and coming Mexican fighters and pressure fighters and Kelly desperately needs that.

Thoughts?
              Good post, I would really like to engage more with this one.

But I am put off by this terrible forum layout and interface.

Maybe another time.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post

Good post, I would really like to engage more with this one.

But I am put off by this terrible forum layout and interface.

Maybe another time.
                I mean it's not going to change no reason so you will have to just learn how to deal with it.

I'm still getting used to it myself.

Comment

I always encourage UK boxers to leave their comfort zone and train outside, because I believe they learn a lot in that terms. Not just about going to america, got to east Europe, go to Germany etc and train with their trainers. Honestly boxers in the western world are soft, and they have been brought up the soft way, america for me is no different and you can see it in their faces, the way they talk and the way their trainers train them.

Would he learn from James probably but you cannot fix years of developing in a soft system, the years of American hardcore training or trainers is gone. And whilst Kelly might learn a few new things I just don’t think it would make any major difference in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
                    I always encourage UK boxers to leave their comfort zone and train outside, because I believe they learn a lot in that terms. Not just about going to america, got to east Europe, go to Germany etc and train with their trainers. Honestly boxers in the western world are soft, and they have been brought up the soft way, america for me is no different and you can see it in their faces, the way they talk and the way their trainers train them.

Would he learn from James probably but you cannot fix years of developing in a soft system, the years of American hardcore training or trainers is gone. And whilst Kelly might learn a few new things I just don’t think it would make any major difference in his career.
                    I don't think he would need a complete makeover or anything, but just would need good hard sparring in camp and then being able to sit on his shots more. Because let me tell you, if you don't sit on your shots while sparring Spence or Charlo, you're going to get run over. I just see some similarities to the flaws Charlo had before coming to James and some of the flaws Kelly has. But even if he sticks it out with Booth, I encourage him to come stateside to get better sparring. The Southern California and Texas gyms are always full of hungry fighters ready to give the top guys good work

Comment

That would be great. All of James' fighters are conditioned and tough, the things Kelly really lacks.

Comment

Working...
                      X