Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Josh Kelly Trainer Switch: How About Derrick James?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keepemup View Post
    That would be great. All of James' fighters are conditioned and tough, the things Kelly really lacks.
    Two of the biggest factors as well as James getting Kelly to sit down on his shots more and limit all the unnecessary movement.

Comment

Isn't Josh Kelly UK?

Derrick James isn't going to do that much flying.

No...he needs to find someone local and work with it. Whoever that is needs to reinforce defense.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
        Isn't Josh Kelly UK?

No...he needs to find someone local and work with it. Whoever that is needs to reinforce defense.
        A big part of getting with James would be to train in the Texas heat with those killers in the gym. Why would James be traveling to the UK to train him? Kelly would have to set camp in Dallas.

Comment

Isn't Josh Kelly UK?

Well obviously Kelly would have to relocate. If a fighter is serious enough then it they will, many have.

That said ,I don’t see him leaving Adam Booth any time soon, They are very close. Not that it’s stopped fighters before but it doesn’t strike me as the kind of relationship that’s going to end over one loss.

Comment

Why does a fighter need a new trainer after one loss early in their career?

David Haye was trained by Adam Booth and suffered a loss in his 10th fight against more seasoned fighter but he never switched trainers and went on to have a good career and become a world champion under Booth.

Comment

Josh has skills. He needs someone like Anne Wolfe to take him deep within himself. Get that stamina and go that extra level when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                Why does a fighter need a new trainer after one loss early in their career?

David Haye was trained by Adam Booth and suffered a loss in his 10th fight against more seasoned fighter but he never switched trainers and went on to have a good career and become a world champion under Booth.
                Why does he Kelly need to leave Booth? He obviously doesn't. He can stand put and continue working with Booth no problem.

I just feel that he is going to continue having similar issues the rest of his career with Booth. Think the James gym and the type of sparring Kelly will consistently get would help him in big ways. And as I've stated, I feel like Charlo had some of the same types of flaws as Kelly earlier in his career and James was able to develop a very effective style for him. Kelly just doesn't know how to control range nor the tempo of a fight and that will lead him to tiring against solid/good fighters, let alone the top dogs in the division. Do you see those things changing with Booth? if not, then he should definitely be thinking about going to another trainer or getting another voice in camp.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post

A big part of getting with James would be to train in the Texas heat with those killers in the gym. Why would James be traveling to the UK to train him? Kelly would have to set camp in Dallas.
                  Outside of Eubank Sr., Tyson Fury and Lennox Lewis, name me ONE successful UK fighter that has uprooted and left the UK for the US, to be great.

Because there aren't many if there are any others.

Do you know why?

UK fighters win in the UK. They struggle outside of it.

Comment

Outside of Eubank Sr., Tyson Fury and Lennox Lewis, name me ONE successful UK fighter that has uprooted and left the UK for the US, to be great.

Because there aren't many if there are any others.

Do you know why?

UK fighters win in the UK. They struggle outside of it.
                    I'm confused, are you saying fighters that left the UK to train in America or UK fighters being successful fighting in America? Because Prince Naseem did just fine training and fighting in America.

Anyways, how was that relevant to Kelly training with James and James being a good fit for him?

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post

I'm confused, are you saying fighters that left the UK to train in America or UK fighters being successful fighting in America? Because Prince Naseem did just fine training and fighting in America.

Anyways, how was that relevant to Kelly training with James and James being a good fit for him?
                      The same Hamed that got Bambi'd by Kelley and almost knocked out in his US debut?

That's what you call "just fine"?

Ok

Comment

Working...
                      X