Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Josh Kelly Trainer Switch: How About Derrick James?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh Kelly Trainer Switch: How About Derrick James?

i think most people acknowledge that while Josh Kelly has some skills, he is missing a lot elements to his game that he needs for the pro game. So instantly after the fight many mentioned McGuigan or Ingle or other UK based trainers. And on face value, that makes sense. However, I feel like Derrick James would be a very good fit for him. Jermell used to be a fighter who had solid skills but would move around the ring a lot and wouldn't sit on his shots much. Well, that changed with James and you can argue that Charlo is too KO happy at times but he's turned into a dangerous fighter. Both of James top fighters control the tempo of fights and know when to inflict damage and when to box. When you watch Kelly, he just doesn't know when to sit down on his shots and when to move. He doesn't jab nearly enough and that's a strength of both Jermell and Errol.

With James, Kelly would get top notch sparring in the gym and would quickly develop into more of a pro style opposed to his current amateur style. I don't know if James will ever be able to make Kelly into a true world class fighter, but I think some of his flaws would go away and he would become a more dangerous fighter. Simply put the way he fights, he will never be able to hold off any decent pressure fighter and will get stopped. Spence always gets good sparring with young up and coming Mexican fighters and pressure fighters and Kelly desperately needs that.

Thoughts?

Adam Booth is a great trainer, and Kelly suits his specific methodologies. Kelly has all the traits as a fighter, Booth likes to work with etc

The only other gym, that I think may be good for Kelly is 'Dominic Ingle'.

All in all, people need to stop pointing the finger to the trainers 'Sometimes fighters just are not good enough on the night'.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
      Adam Booth is a great trainer, and Kelly suits his specific methodologies. Kelly has all the traits as a fighter, Booth likes to work with etc

The only other gym, that I think may be good for Kelly is 'Dominic Ingle'.

All in all, people need to stop pointing the finger to the trainers 'Sometimes fighters just are not good enough on the night'.
      I mean you listed another UK based trainer which I get and Ingle has experience with training someone like Naseem. Okay, so I get it, but I don't think Booth is all that great for him. I fully understand sometimes a fighter just isn't good enough. But Kelly doesn't sit down on his shots at all and still has too many amateur tendencies. The sparring factor also isn't getting talked about enough. Why have Robert Gacia and Freddie Roach been so successful over the years? Well, one of the reasons is the type of sparring their fighters get and the type of talent in the gym. We are seeing that with Eddie Reynoso as well now.

Kelly sparring the likes of Spence/Charlo would make him a much better fighter and he would know when to move and when not to move. Kelly has some good traits for sure but hasn't put it together. I just think James would be very good for him.

Comment

Josh showed some good skills but I don't know if they can fix his stamina. Plus he had that I give up face at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
          Josh showed some good skills but I don't know if they can fix his stamina. Plus he had that I give up face at the end.
          Fair point on his stamina, but training in the Texas heat would only help right? I feel his stamina issues are impacted by the mental pressure his opponents put on him and how much energy he uses moving unnecessarily. That's what I mean when I say he doesn't really know how to control the tempo of the fight nor does he know when and when not to move. Let him spar with Spence or Charlo for an entire camp and his entire mindset will change. Kelly is not a big puncher but if he sits down on his shots more and properly uses his reflexes, he can be a much improved fighter. Right now the version we see is food for any top 10 WW.

Comment

Fan of Derrick James, one of the best Trainers in boxing No Doubt but NO! Need to reinvent his style though...first of all you're neither Mayweather or Roy Jones Jr. stop with the Slick Hands Down Sh^t! He has excellent hand spoon and he can actually fight on the inside and I thought he was doing excellent to start that fight beating Ava to the punch. It was when he got on that damn Back Foot and tried to be Roy Jones is when Ava started Clipping him more and more.

He can be fixed, just need to add to his game and switch up his Defense to a High Guard and CIRCLE instead of getting on his Backfoot. Knowing how to fight on the inside can not only help reserve energy but it also can get your opponents respect and it shows that that you can stand and fight
            Last edited by sicko; 02-23-2021, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
              Fan of Derrick James, one of the best Trainers in boxing No Doubt but NO! Need to reinvent his style though...first of all you're neither Mayweather or Roy Jones Jr. stop with the Slick Hands Down Sh^t! He has excellent hand spoon and he can actually fight on the inside and I thought he was doing excellent to start that fight beating Ava to the punch. It was when he got on that damn Back Foot and tried to be Roy Jones is when Ava started Clipping him more and more.

He can be fixed, just need to add to his game and switch up his Defense to a High Guard and CIRCLE instead of getting on his Backfoot. Knowing how to fight on the inside can not only help reserve energy but it also can get your opponents respect and it shows that that you can stand and fight
              You talk about high guard, what kind of stance does Spence often times use? Even Charlo?

But it's not just about that. Kelly can still do some of the things he does. I just think James can tweak his style enough and implement more of a pro style. And with the style Kelly has, sparring is CRUCIAL. You better be getting some DOG work in the gym against some top notch pressure fighters. He would get that with James.

Comment

After what I seen Oscar Valdez do last weekend I say send him to Eddie.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  After what I seen Oscar Valdez do last weekend I say send him to Eddie.
                  Eddie is arguably the best in the game right now so pretty much anyone going to him is a good move. That one may take time though. Valdez looked pretty rough in stretches and Nery didn't work out with him either.

I'd like to still see it though. With James, he at least has fighters in the same weight class or close to the weight class Kelly is in.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post

You talk about high guard, what kind of stance does Spence often times use? Even Charlo?

But it's not just about that. Kelly can still do some of the things he does. I just think James can tweak his style enough and implement more of a pro style. And with the style Kelly has, sparring is CRUCIAL. You better be getting some DOG work in the gym against some top notch pressure fighters. He would get that with James.
                    Don't get me wrong stylistically James would help for sure with that being said, I doubt Kelly has any plans on moving to Texas. Mark Tibbs maybe? Not sure Adam Booth is the problem more so the problem being Josh Kelly himself!

Comment

Working...
                    X