No announcement yet.

Did Berbick take a dive vs. Tyson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marijuana View Post
    He beat a brain damaged Ali and Tyson was the hottest thing in boxing at that time.
    He also defeated 'red hot prospect' Greg Page.

Berbick vs Tyson was stopped by the referees. So it's not like he was laying down for the count..

Berbick beat;

John Tate - Ex-Champ

Mitch Green - Who lost by 10 round decision to Tyson. Mitch was ranked as a top 10 fighter by both WBA and WBC untul Berbick beat him.

David Bey - In his first fight her beat Buster Douglas and later on Greg Page. He was 14 - 0 until Berbick beat him.

Pinklon Thomas - Was the WBC champion, with a record of 24-0-1. Berbick thrased Thomas in a 12 round UD.

His next match would be against Tyson, who yeah, was a prospect. But was a 20 year old kid. Thomas fought Tyson in 1987 with a serious shoulder injury, but managed to out jab Tyson. Tyson knocked Thomas down in the 6th, although he managed to get up for the count - the referee ended it.

There ain't no way he's going to jeopardize his boxing career for Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
      He took a dive. Nobody scores 3 KD's with one punch. Berbick didn't fool anyone. He took a dive because he was scared. I also heard he had a voodoo master in his dressing room who cast a spell on Tyson. When Berbick after the initial exchanges realized that the voodoo magic didn't work he quit. Check the replay carefully. Tyson's punch doesn't even land.
      Tyson hit him in the temple!

You are going to tell me that this knock out below is also an act?

Come BN, you are better than that bro.

Just listen to what bundrage says at the end of that video.
      Classic and one guy in the back couldnt help but laugh and Bundrage catches it. lol poor bundrage.
      Last edited by 8ozglove; 05-21-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        He took a dive. Nobody scores 3 KD's with one punch. Berbick didn't fool anyone. He took a dive because he was scared. I also heard he had a voodoo master in his dressing room who cast a spell on Tyson. When Berbick after the initial exchanges realized that the voodoo magic didn't work he quit. Check the replay carefully. Tyson's punch doesn't even land.

For everybody else:

Tyson actually hit him with a left hook to the temple followed by an elbow to the chin.

Put it on HQ and blow up the size to full screen.

Stop it at 8:50 and you can see the punch land spot on...and I think that elbow carries over to the chin. In that one second, at 8:50, he loads up, a punch lands and I think the elbow lands on the chin. So you are going to have to pause it a few times to see all three movements: load up, punch land to the head, and to the chin (if it did land). That's how fast Tyson was.

Last edited by Benny Leonard; 05-21-2009, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
          That punch landed solidly though.

09:37

Tubbs had done enough to collect his payday at that point.
          I know the punch landed. That's why I used it.

He knows where to hit you with pin-point accuracy (back in those days).

Tyson's power is just a different kind of power. It seems to get you internally; it lingers.
          Last edited by Benny Leonard; 05-21-2009, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marijuana View Post
            Glancing shot leads to a delayed knockdown, and then Berbick flops like a fish out of water a couple times. I watched this fight last night with a friend as we were blazing, and he brought it up. Even if the punch was legit and it was a delayed knockdown a la RJJ-Glen Johnson, Berbick's actions of getting up and falling twice just looked really rehearsed. I don't know.
            Pass me some of that ish fam must have been good...Hell no Berbick was determined to beat Tyson he wanted to get up just had no legs they were like Jello....Lefty

Comment

Temple shots are the worst ones they turn your legs into jelly, just like they did to Berbick, Berbick was a decent fighter but nothing special.

Comment

I doubt anybody throwin a fight would go outta their way to make it look that dramatic.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewWoodside View Post
                  Some kickass threads around here lately.
                  lmao..........

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy1 View Post
                    Tyson destroyed him! If he took a dive he would've just stayed down like Bruce Seldon did and wouldn't have fallen all over the place!!
                    Bruce Seldon is an embarrassment to new jersey, ******* took a dive against Tyson. I know Seldons chin wasn't the greatest, but no ones chin is that **** where you get knocked out by air. He either threw that fight and got a nice pay-check, or he was scared of Tyson. Pro-boxers aren't usually scared, so I think he was paid off but he did a **** job at doing it.

And it wasn't like he didn't have power in his own two fists, Seldon could punch.

Comment

Originally posted by ACHlLLES View Post
                      Bruce Seldon is an embarrassment to new jersey, ******* took a dive against Tyson. I know Seldons chin wasn't the greatest, but no ones chin is that **** where you get knocked out by air.
                      Except Hide.

Comment

Working...
                      X