Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather Contradicts Himself Badly (How can you defend him still?)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
    I didn't say that, that is what this thread is about you responded to my post which was specifically about people who hate Floyd with a passion. I never took you personally as that sort.

I said Floyd is full of shit, I don't listen to what he has to say. He is like a salesman always trying to sell something. I might put a bit of thought into it to try and understand why he says certain things and present a different side that what most people think to make people think but most never take it as such.

About this specific fight so much shit has been said by both sides that I don't see how you find so much fault with one person but whatever to each his own.

Nah, he's really unbiased.

Comment

• Originally posted by cupocity303 View Post
      That last part was about Roy JOnes, not Floyd.

They're different fighters, Floyd has more defense to him than just covering up and using legs.

I just don't see him as a really smart fighter (he is not ****** either, ****** would mean coming in head first looking to slug when he has easier options), or a strategic fighter, he just does thing off the top of his head and is fortunate enough to get away with it, due to the style imposed on him by his Father. He is like a Freestyle Rapper who thinks up rhymes off the top of his head. That in itself can be considered as a brilliant ability, I suppose. Except it's more to do with athleticism than any real brain smarts.
      I would call him a strategic fighter because he takes the path of least resistance.

There are different ways to be strategic, you can be in charge of every detail or you can be a quick thinking battlefield commander taking advantage of any opportunity that presents itself.

The body can only work as fast as the mind makes it work, the mind is more important than the body.

Comment

• Originally posted by P4P305 View Post
        Nah, he's really unbiased.
        Floyd is a polarizing figure, it is generally either or there is no in between. Even if you want to be in between you end up getting forced one way or the other.

Comment

• Mayweather has b33n running l3ft and right av1iding that fight with my boi Cott0

Comment

That last part was about Roy JOnes, not Floyd.

They're different fighters, Floyd has more defense to him than just covering up and using legs.

I just don't see him as a really smart fighter (he is not ****** either, ****** would mean coming in head first looking to slug when he has easier options), or a strategic fighter, he just does thing off the top of his head and is fortunate enough to get away with it, due to the style imposed on him by his Father. He is like a Freestyle Rapper who thinks up rhymes off the top of his head. That in itself can be considered as a brilliant ability, I suppose. Except it's more to do with athleticism than any real brain smarts.
            Firstly, Floyd does have a game plan. However all fighters do, but when it doesn't go well, Floyd can adjust. That adjustment is smart, because not all boxers change a game plan or even have the tools to do so.

Secondly, it doesn't matter if that style was imposed on him from his father. Most smart kids in school get tutoring in school. Does that take it away from their grades?

Thirdly, Freestyle rappers practice a lot. Like being the best at anything, you gotta put in the work on that paper or in this case, the gym.

Floyd is athletic, and the best thing for me are his eyes. He can see shots coming and time, react to them in split seconds. I can jab real fast in real time speed, but I could never block or counter it very well. Now a real pro must be 3 or 5 times faster than me, it's not easy.

Yes, he is gifted physically, but he does have a brain. He uses the ring, or controls a fight very well. You don't get to Floyd's level of winning most rounds without some form of brains.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
              I would call him a strategic fighter because he takes the path of least resistance.

There are different ways to be strategic, you can be in charge of every detail or you can be a quick thinking battlefield commander taking advantage of any opportunity that presents itself.

The body can only work as fast as the mind makes it work, the mind is more important than the body.
              I suppose we're just arguing semantics now, I guess what he does can be categorized as "Smart", "intelligent", whatever. Maybe he and RJJ types need a sub-category for their "Ring IQ".

Bernard Hopkins to me is a prime example of a smart fighter. Not the most gifted athlete, yet he makes it work. Strong willed, smart individual who without Daddy's help, made himself into a Champion. THere was no daddy to push him to get to gym like the Mosley's, Delahoya's, RJJ's, Floyd's, who all had Daddy issues later on.

He is self-aware, studies tapes of past and present fights, is a student of the game. He eats right, trains all year round. He's got a little of everything, no one specific thing that he is extraordinary in. Not the best defense but a pretty good defense, not the best offense but a pretty good one. Conditioning? Probably not one of the all-time greatest staminas but pretty damn good. Footwork - pretty good, nothing that can be defined as the best thing ever seen.

Result - at 46, still has to get humiliated or knocked out by a fighter, whereas other prime, great fighters have already been Ko'd and retired. Best case scenario, he dominates world class fighters, and the worst case scenario is that he has close, ugly fights against world class fighters (Calzaghe, Taylor 2x,)

Comment

I suppose we're just arguing semantics now, I guess what he does can be categorized as "Smart", "intelligent", whatever. Maybe he and RJJ types need a sub-category for their "Ring IQ".

Bernard Hopkins to me is a prime example of a smart fighter. Not the most gifted athlete, yet he makes it work. Strong willed, smart individual who without Daddy's help, made himself into a Champion. THere was no daddy to push him to get to gym like the Mosley's, Delahoya's, RJJ's, Floyd's, who all had Daddy issues later on.

He is self-aware, studies tapes of past and present fights, is a student of the game. He eats right, trains all year round. He's got a little of everything, no one specific thing that he is extraordinary in. Not the best defense but a pretty good defense, not the best offense but a pretty good one. Conditioning? Probably not one of the all-time greatest staminas but pretty damn good. Footwork - pretty good, nothing that can be defined as the best thing ever seen.

Result - at 46, still has to get humiliated or knocked out by a fighter, whereas other prime, great fighters have already been Ko'd and retired. Best case scenario, he dominates world class fighters, and the worst case scenario is that he has close, ugly fights against world class fighters (Calzaghe, Taylor 2x,)
                B-Hop is certainly different from Floyd in a lot of aspects, I don't know if Floyd can keep his thing going as long as B-Hop but I give him a fair shot at aging gracefully in boxing because he knows how to exploit what advantages he has. As his athleticism fades he will have less advantage so he will have less options and eventually that will catch up with anyone, especially in a lighter class where speed play a larger role.

It will be interesting to see how that plays out, I am fairly sure we will get to see it though because Floyd will need the loot.

Comment

I thought to took about Hopkin's to you.

Firstly Hopkin's is fairly fast.
                  Secondly he has great condition.
                  He has decent power, and a great chin.
                  He has good footwork.
                  He has good reflexes.

Floyd trains and eats well pretty much all year around.
                  Floyd has a good defense.
                  Floyd can have a good offense.

Now Hopkin's was fortunate enough to learn that Philly style huh?
                  Now Hopkin's is a dirty fighter huh?
                  Hopkin's has fought guys going up in weight?

Hopkin's has been able to use his rough house tactics, and right hand and low head for ages. It's hard to block a head and a right hand that is extremely fast.

Hopkin's fights on the ropes, and so can Floyd.

Floyd has gone up weight classes too.

Basically, Hopkin's is smart, but he has close fights. Floyd had one.

Comment

• Originally posted by PinoyKiller View Post
                    Firstly, Floyd does have a game plan. However all fighters do, but when it doesn't go well, Floyd can adjust. That adjustment is smart, because not all boxers change a game plan or even have the tools to do so.

Secondly, it doesn't matter if that style was imposed on him from his father. Most smart kids in school get tutoring in school. Does that take it away from their grades?

Thirdly, Freestyle rappers practice a lot. Like being the best at anything, you gotta put in the work on that paper or in this case, the gym.

Floyd is athletic, and the best thing for me are his eyes. He can see shots coming and time, react to them in split seconds. I can jab real fast in real time speed, but I could never block or counter it very well. Now a real pro must be 3 or 5 times faster than me, it's not easy.

Yes, he is gifted physically, but he does have a brain. He uses the ring, or controls a fight very well. You don't get to Floyd's level of winning most rounds without some form of brains.
                    Did you read the part where i said that he is not ******. So when I say that he isn't the smartest tool in the shed, it's not calling him ******, just overrated in smarts. A lot of people jump on the bandwagon that he is real smart.

He said this himself, "I'm the smartest fighter", and people jump on the bandwagon. He may be smart, but his athletics >>> his smarts. He is like Conan the Barbarian (starring Arnold), who got forced into slavery at a young age, and after years of hard labor turned into a Big, strong, brute warrior. It's circumstance that got him where he is at, not independent smarts like B-Hop (who made himself into what he is).

And his outside antics reflect his smarts or lackthereof. He said it himself, he doesn't study tapes of opponents. RJJ said the same thing. That is one of the most arrogant things you can do, yet he is getting away with it. Other fighters far smarter then Floyd couldn't get away with it.

Comment

• Want to see how smart he is.

Watch the Shane Mosley fight.

Did he even get with another right hand after the second round? Dude is VERY smart. ****m called it though.

Comment

Working...
                      X