No announcement yet.

Pacquiao's Adviser Prefers Cotto Next, Not Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mrosborne View Post
    Agreed. My question is this: Why is it acceptable for Manny to fight Oscar at 147, but anyone else at 147(Mosley, Cotto, and others) have to meet at an imaginary weightclass of 143?
    because dlh is a jr. middleweight and cotto and mosley WWs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
      because dlh is a jr. middleweight and cotto and mosley WWs.
      Isn't the whole idea of 147 to fight at 147?

Comment

• Exactly the point.Pac team took oscar at 147 but can't take any other legit welterweights at those pounds? They knew they can beat oscar at that weight.The fight should take place at 147.Manny can make history and cookie another title.Although i see a tough rugged fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saloth Sar View Post
          You are probably right because even pacquiao team thinks so..

“Manny should go for Cotto. It’s the wise fight. It’s the better fight,” said Salud to The Philippine Star. “For one, he’s a straight-up fighter. He’ll come in. And that’s what Manny wants, someone like Ricky Hatton. I think we have a better chance against Cotto than Mayweather who will run away from Manny inside the ring. Not a beautiful fight."

Salud repeats the past statement of Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach, who says the clash of styles will make for an ugly fight.

“Mayweather can dance the whole fight and beat Manny on points. And even if Manny wins, he may not look good," Salud said. "So why fight Mayweather this year and maybe affect your chances in the elections. Manny should take on Cotto, beat him, then run for Congress, and face Mayweather later on."

I think they watch tape of Mayweather and saw that Pacquiao style of fighting would play right into Floyd's hands..
          no other way around them making these comments..
          unless they believe so
          Exactly right. 100% agree.

Comment

• Now I heard it all. Bob Arum, Pacquiao's adviser and
            Top Rank has just stated through all the BS that Cotto
            is an easier fight for Pacquiao than Mayweather. And
            if I hear any back lash BS then whoever says it is in full
            denial! Cotto would make Pacquiao look better than
            Mayweather? That's BULL****!! They know Mayweather
            is slick enough to beat Pacquiao.

Comment

• Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
              Quintana IMO is a pure boxer, he out boxed Williams in their first fight and gave an unbeaten Joel Julio a boxing lesson also. On his best night, hes definitely a top welterweight. Cotto did more pressuring in that fight, although it was smart pressure and he mixed in boxing with it, and at the times he did box he was doing well. As for the Mosley fight, he boxed more than anything. Watch back at that first round. He catches Mosley coming in with some hard counter punches and even Emanuel Steward mentioned how he felt Mosley was surprised by Miguel's hand speed. The only reason why Mosley had the advantage late, was because Mosley is one of the best conditioned fighters in the sport and Cotto was fading. And even when Shane pressing the action, those rounds were still close because Cotto was fighting effectively backing up. It was the same thing with Judah. Judah did well early, but eventually Cotto figured him out and started landing his straight right hand at will and was walking Zab down. My point is that if he can do that to stronger, harder punching natural welterweights like Zab, Mosley and Quintana, why couldn't he do that against Pacquaio who is not only smaller but easier to hit than all of these fighters mentioned? Lets not let the Hatton and De La Hoya fight fool us, Manny is no boxer and at a tactical standpoint, Cotto will clearly have the edge.
              This is absolutely correct in all of the points you mentioned. Mosley is much too big and hits harder than any other top WW. On top of that, Mosley has the best chin, has never been stopped, AND is a great boxer who excellent hand speed and footwork. Pacquiao is signing his death certificate if he fights Mosley, and he knows it. That's why Freddie is trying to take the ***** route and force Mosley to fight at 143 where he would be De La Hoya's skeletal cousin. Even so, Mosley couldn't be hurt by Pacquiao whatsoever and would knock Manny out with ease. Why they believe they can defeat Cotto is anyone's guess, but the answer is once again that he has to fight at a severely drained 143 to even be considered for the fight. That's booty son.
              Last edited by mrosborne; 05-11-2009, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadow boxer 3 View Post
                Arum wants pac to fight cotto cause he promotes both fighters so thats more money for him. nothin more nothin less
                That's part of it but they never mention that in the article.
                It was so simple just to say "Pac/Cotto makes more sense
                $ wise for us" instead of all the BS Bob Arum, Pac's advisor
                and Top Rank has stated. For the record even though
                Cotto/Pac will make $ a Pac/Floyd fight would supersede
                that fight ten times over.

Comment

• Originally posted by arcticfalconer View Post
                  I personally like to watch a fight where two fighters come to fight, not one run potshot, roll yore shoulder then runn , then runn,,,,,so boring .

May runs runs and runs then when he gets his man frustrated cause May is such a fast runner the guy chasin makes a mistake and POP ! May gets him,

If they fight it will be funny to watch da shickenmang run from the little guy.
                  boxing is chess, MMA is checkers.

if you want to see people simply beat each others brains out and always get a KO, go watch MMA.

i rather watch a match go 12 rounds b/c of tactical boxing than a few rounds and end result of a KO

thats why im a boxing fan and not a MMA fan

Comment

• Cotto is alot stronger and used 2 WW. Pac would prolly build on early lead in a winnable fight as long as he doesn't get KO'd. It's a really smart fight and the more entertaining fight

Comment

• Originally posted by sycomantz View Post
                      boxing is chess, MMA is checkers.

if you want to see people simply beat each others brains out and always get a KO, go watch MMA.

i rather watch a match go 12 rounds b/c of tactical boxing than a few rounds and end result of a KO

thats why im a boxing fan and not a MMA fan
                      Freddie Roach don't want Pacquiao to fight Mosley or Mayweather
                      because he knows their too tough for Manny bottom line. Freddie
                      sees something in Cotto that gives Pac the chance and that is
                      probably because Manny will be much faster than Cotto and
                      more open for a flush power shot. Floyd/Shane too durable
                      for Pac to look spectacular against and Top Rank is riding
                      the wave. What if Cotto loses next month? Will Top Rank
                      still make the fight happen?

Comment

Working...
                      X