Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Floyd retire because he was afraid to fight other prime welterweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Klitschko2009 View Post
    Mayweather and Lewis both retired like cowards.

Vitali beat up Lewis and scared him into retirement

The top welterweights scared Floyd into retirement.
    I doubt floyd was scared. He had a mega-multi-phantazillion dollar rematch lined up, against a fighter he had already beaten, but elected to retire anyway.

What does that say? To me it says that he simply was tired of the game and wanted to get out on his own terms with his faculties intact. Respect for that, but his boxing legacy suffers from it obviously.

Comment

Only idiots think this. Did jordan retire because he was scared of the new generation?..wtf this is dumb..

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
        many people will come in here and justify his retirement..
        floyd walks on water for them..
        the simple answer though is yes.......
        That's just your opinion. You are not Floyd. It does make sense that he just got tired of boxing after doing it since he was a kid and got tired of fighting injured. I've always thought it was a little of both: Tired of boxing and the injuries along with not wanting to clear out the WW division for fear of losing his "O." I think Williams was the biggest threat, the rest, not so much. One thing for sure, he wanted Oscar for his retirement check and if he could have gotten Shane when he wanted, that would have been the bonus.

He never had to move up to 147 but he kept moving up to get to Oscar who made him go up even higher to 154.
        Last edited by Benny Leonard; 04-05-2009, 03:38 PM.

Comment

floyd will fight mosley eventually; dunno about cotto cause he's w/ arum

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
            many people will come in here and justify his retirement..
            floyd walks on water for them..
            the simple answer though is yes.......
            id love to see cotto move up and fight in more than 2 divisions, lt alone 5.... if he does, his retirement would be automaticALLY justfied..... so stfu...... and cut this biased bull**** out... its reallly ruining this forum......

Comment

Was Floyd literally afraid of guys like Cotto or Mosley? Nah

Did he see a risk > reward with someone like Cotto or Mosley? Definitely

You can have fear of someone beating you and not literally be afraid of them. IMO Floyd knew there wasn't huge money with Cotto just yet and Cotto losing to Margarito (at that time) seemed to lose the luster in that fight. But there's no doubt that they could inevitably fight soon as next year.

If Cotto is to beat Clottey, have a rematch and beat Mosley with Floyd fighting and beating Pac, you better believe Cotto vs Floyd will be THE #1 fight to make, no question about it. I still got hope, they're both still very young.

Comment

floyd will probably fight mosley in 5 years, win a sd and claim he is better than robinson.

Comment

IMO, Pac beating Hatton pretty much scraps the 2 big mega money fights Floyd could've chased. He's definitely not fighting Oscar and a Hatton rematch after a loss to Pacquiao makes no sense (it makes no sense now).

The landscape for Floyd looks like this:

Pacquiao
                  JMM
                  Mosley
                  Cotto

I think it's safe to say those 4 guys bring Floyd the most money and would get props from me beating any of them. Yea, people will complain about the size issue with JMM or Pacquiao, but I don't think it's a far stretch in size where Floyd would be TOTALLY oversized (I've been sayin this for months). But I believe he should fight Pacquiao in December (be it he beats Hatton) just because it makes all the sense in the world. But...there's no question that he MUST fight THE top welterweight at the time who can be anyone from Cotto to Mosley or maybe even Berto, who knows what can happen in a year?

I truly believe we're going to see Floyd make a memorable fight out of any of those guys, he needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by boxasmash View Post
                    floyd will probably fight mosley in 5 years, win a sd and claim he is better than robinson.
                    Once Mosley slows down a bit more in a few years, Floyd may be willing to fight him.

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyMayFan View Post
                      Only idiots think this. Did jordan retire because he was scared of the new generation?..wtf this is dumb..
                      LOL in all fairness homie, nobody was trying to KO MJ

Comment

Working...
                      X