Which fighter(s) sparked you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
    nard is a ****ing cheater....

Special thanks to Mugwump, Chunk, Grand Champ, and Gift of Gab for also giving stories and reasons with their picks.

Comment

along with roy, another fighter that i like alot is b-hop.

he did it his way. he fought the system, he worked very hard...and in the end became a boxing legend.

Comment

Zab Judah was a fighter who I instantly gravitated to. I started watching boxing apart from my family around 2000, when Roy and Tito were killing it.

So I'd say those 3 fighters. If I had to pick a specific moment where I knew I'd follow the sport for life, I'd say it was round one of Vargas-Trinidad. It was electrifying like no other sport, watching that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
          Zab Judah was a fighter who I instantly gravitated to. I started watching boxing apart from my family around 2000, when Roy and Tito were killing it.

So I'd say those 3 fighters. If I had to pick a specific moment where I knew I'd follow the sport for life, I'd say it was round one of Vargas-Trinidad. It was electrifying like no other sport, watching that fight.
          Fight Night is exciting enough. But if it's one of your favorites in the ring, it's multiplied tenfold. No other moment in the sports world can compare. It's a constant sensory overload.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
            Eubank (Obviously) - he was always the odd man out when Benn and Watson were the media darlings. I watched him from early on and I always thought he'd make it. Rock solid chin and KO power in either hand. When he fought Benn practically no one gave him a chance. Benn tore into him early but Eubank stood firm and by the fourth he was putting a hurting on Nigel. By the end Benn was smashed to pieces.

But the big reason is Eubank's second victory over Watson.

When Eubank went down in the eleventh there wasn't a fan at ringside who gave him a hope. But he dragged himself off the floor to deliver one of the greatest uppercuts in the history of the sport. Tragically it resulted in Watson's brain damage.

The other fighter is Nigel Benn. His bout (another tragedy) against Gerald McClellan is the most brutal fight I've seen. McClellan knocked Nigel through the ropes in round one with a brick. How he got back up is a mystery to me. But he survived and in round two he took the fight to McClellan with some ferocious hitting. Benn's gameplan was simple: McClellan had no uppercut and so he ducked low keeping his chin out of reach. Also he because he was unproven past round eight he needed to drag the fight out. The bout drew on with both fighters having their moments - but Benn was clawing back the points difference. Then Gerald managed to catch Benn and he was down again. At that point it was over. There was no way he would survive the onslaught. But he did - with some of the best head movement I've seen in a long time. McClellan became frustrated and then Benn caught him with a bomb of a right hook. His gumshield flew out again and a blank expression fell over his face (almost certainly the blow that damaged his brain). Another round - more Benn pressure and suddenly Gerald went down. Something was wrong. He was blinking continuously. He beat the count but Benn dropped him within seconds and it was all over. A terrible tragedy for McClellan. But a night of vindication for Benn. He had beaten the most dangerous puncher on the planet. I firmly believe that - on that night and in that ring - NO ONE would have beaten Benn. Somehow he'd tapped into almost limitless reserves of rage. It kept him on his feet in the face of punching that would have laid flat any other SW on the planet.

Two tragedies that finished both boxers (Eubank never again threw with full power and Benn went mad) - but two GREAT fighters.
            Great post and a good read. I remember Eubank - Watson II like it was yesterday and i was only a boy at the time. I didn't realize at the time what had happened to Michael and what was going on tell the day after when it was all over the news.

The upper cut wasn't the punch that did the damaged to Michael, i believe it was his head bouncing off the bottom rope when he was on his way to the canvas that did it? Obviously that vicious uppercut didn't help!

My mum tried to ban boxing from the house after that fight/incident, dad was having none of it!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post

Then ran like the little ***** he is, just like your ***** boy MAB....if you gonna start ****, finish it.....

seriously what the **** is up with you liking those type of douches.....

Comment

bein young and Boricua iv watched Tito Trinidad then over the years Cotto became big and then i got hooked on the sport

Comment

Then ran like the little ***** he is, just like your ***** boy MAB....if you gonna start ****, finish it.....

To be honest, Morales is a MUCH bigger ******* than Barrera. I mean, I'm a huge Morales fan too.. But you can't down MAB if you like Erik.

Comment

What are you talking about? Hopkins finished that **** the very next night by beating Winky 116-112 on my card, and effectively railroading his career for almost 2 years.

As for Marco, I admire his attitude. I make no personal judgment of the things he said about certain types of Mexicans, or whatever that **** was about. I'm a whiteboy from Philly, I'm not qualified to think one way or the other on that ****.

But he had a line, a personal line, that he expected nobody to cross. And when you crossed it, he'd let you know about it physically. McKinney said something to him that he felt was disrespectful, so he nailed him. He dared Morales to say whatever it was he said about him in the press to his face, Erik did, and Marco nailed him.

I like that in a person. I would think he was a ***** if he didn't hit them for disrespecting him like that.

Barrera is gangsta.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                      Fight Night is exciting enough. But if it's one of your favorites in the ring, it's multiplied tenfold. No other moment in the sports world can compare. It's a constant sensory overload.
                      I need to find a new fighter to latch onto and put my hopes on during fight night. I was reading your other thread about the new generation and have to agree.. It's hard to get behind these guys 100%.

I think my new fave in the next generation is Yuriorkis Gamboa, though. He might have some defensive flaws, but you can't help but love the guy's style. It's like Roy Jones if he had stuck his chin out and brawled more. Of course, Roy would have been better at it, but still...

Comment

Working...
                      X