No announcement yet.

Can there ever be a new G.O.A.T.?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can there ever be a new G.O.A.T.?

Is the title greatest of all time forever reserved for Ali? Or is there a fighter within this current generation that can eventually assume the throne?

your avatar sucks.......

i thought SRR is the GOAT

edit: never mind you changed it

Comment

It would take a lot of work, and would be a longshot even if someone was willing to try. Still, its possible. It would take years for them to get that kind of recognition, though.

Comment

SRR is GOAT.

And the only way it could happen is if that new person could fight 200+ times and do better than a run of 128-1-2 with 84 knockouts while winning the world's welterweight and middleweight championships. Going on a 91 bout-winning streak can help too oh yeah, having over 100 KO's wont hurt either.

Comment

Question

Is anyone on this board even old enough to have to have followed Ali's career in real time? I'm not. I saw the movie though. Not sure if that counts.

Comment

The reason it's even harder now to become the greatest of all time is because compared to the old days, boxers now fight part time.
            You would have dudes that fought 12 times in one year back when, they perfected their profession. Boxing is what they did to keep food on the table.
            The most fighters will fight now is like 3 times a year when they are at the top.
            Regardless, I think it's not impossible to become greater then Sugar Ray Robinson.
            It'll be a hard job to do, but it's possible.

I see a couple of fighters today that have top 20 potential.. only time will tell if they make it there but they can.

Comment

I guess Mayweather could, he'd have to beat JMM, Pacquiao, Cotto, Mosley, Clottey, Williams. Then go up to face a big name at a much higher weight. Even then it's a stretch to call him the goat.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshPrince View Post
                I guess Mayweather could, he'd have to beat JMM, Pacquiao, Cotto, Mosley, Clottey, Williams. Then go up to face a big name at a much higher weight. Even then it's a stretch to call him the goat.
                Still wouldn't come close. That's a max of 7 more wins, and many of those he'd be favored to win.

46 wins doesn't compare to 202 fights, facing the competition that Ray faced, and blah blah, I can't be bothered to even start listing his achievements.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
                Last edited by S a m u r a i; 03-05-2009, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by S a m u r a i View Post
                  Still wouldn't come close.
                  Looking at it it wouldn't. He'd have to beat much more, but that's just not realistic in the sport today where promoters spend 4-6 months building up big fights.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshPrince View Post
                    Looking at it it wouldn't. He'd have to beat much more, but that's just not realistic in the sport today where promoters spend 4-6 months building up big fights.
                    Right, agreed. Back in the day Sugar Ray would fight sometimes 3 times in 3 weeks, with a couple of those fights only 8 days apart! Ridiculous!

Fighters these days are such babies in comparison.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
                    Last edited by S a m u r a i; 03-05-2009, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X