No announcement yet.

How is Calzaghe great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B-Ron View Post
    Calzaghe isn't a great fighter. Just because you are undefeated doesn't mean you are great. He is good but not great. Great fighters go above and beyond and fight the best fighters. Joe didn't fight anyone great till he matched up with a 43 year old and a 40 year old. Far from great.
    co-sign ......EXCELLENT post!

Comment

Originally posted by Merseysideblood View Post
      Joe is overrated in Britain and underrated in USA
      I thought the guy was Welch. So is the guy British or what's the deal? I've said it before and i'll say it again: I've never been a Calzaghe fan.

I don't understand why he didn't give B-hop a rematch?

Comment

Originally posted by andrewcuff View Post
        Its funny how public perception of Lacy changed so dramatically, eh?

Before the fight, its "he's the new Tyson" and "he's going to kill Joe". After his beating though, "he was never that good".

Well he sure looked good before he fought Joe. Any possibility that being embarassed by Joe so badly took a lot out of him as a fighter? No, the common belief these days seems to be: he couldn't have been that good. He lost every round against Joe Calzaghe.

Some people will never give any credit.
        Good post.

No matter what Joe accomplished, haters like daggum and bsrizpac would never give him any credit. Any highly regarded fighter became a bum in their minds, after losing to Calzaghe.

Comment

Originally posted by Squabbles94806 View Post
          I thought the guy was Welch. So is the guy British or what's the deal? I've said it before and i'll say it again: I've never been a Calzaghe fan.

I don't understand why he didn't give B-hop a rematch?
          First off its Welsh not Welch. Secondly Wales is one of the countries that makes up Great Britain. Therefore you can be Welsh, English, Scottish, Northern Irish and also be British. Duh!

Comment

Originally posted by Merseysideblood View Post
            Not the magazine, most people on here. You see what they say.

Almost every thread about Calzaghe, alot of Americans think nothing of him.
            Americans thought nothing of Veitnam, Iraq (Mission Accomplished!!!) or Afghanistan until they got there. The problem with America centres around ignorance in some, not all quarters. We can all look for the bad in a guys career, and take the bums out of Joe Louis career, or Hagler, or RJJ or Hopkins and all look different. What happens in America is that some of you see what you WANT to see - in the same way that Bush thinks he is doing a great job in the middle east.
            The biggest problem for Joe has always seemed to be that he hadnt fought in America but as Eubank said "Why should he, hes the champ, let them come to him". Are the rings different in the States or something? RJJ and Hopkins didnt go to fight Joe in Wales 5/6 years ago but he was still the champion.

He is 46-0 and the record will stand forever, and in 20 years petty jealousies will be forgotten. America has always had a claim on the middleweight division more than any other, and its hurt to see Calzaghe beat every single man ever brave enough to get in a ring with him....get over it!

Comment

Its funny how public perception of Lacy changed so dramatically, eh?

Before the fight, its "he's the new Tyson" and "he's going to kill Joe". After his beating though, "he was never that good".

Well he sure looked good before he fought Joe. Any possibility that being embarassed by Joe so badly took a lot out of him as a fighter? No, the common belief these days seems to be: he couldn't have been that good. He lost every round against Joe Calzaghe.

Some people will never give any credit.
              Let's get real. First of all, Jeff Lacy wasn't some ranked pound for pounder when Calzaghe fought him. He wasn't even top 20 or anything like that so we can stop with the "Oh Lacy was considered awesome before he fought Calzaghe" BS. Yes, a lot of people (certainly not me) thought he would beat Calzaghe, it was because of how little people thought of Joe, not because Jeff Lacy was a god. He wasn't even popular here; just a fighter who couldn't sell jack **** away from his home state, which is the reason why he flew out to the UK in the first place. And Calzaghe was someone who played second fiddle to Sven Ottke for much of his career. So you're right, it is funny how public perception can change .

Comment

Also, and importantly, i notice that noone has EVER questioned why Hopkins, RJJ or Taylor somehow didnt manage to match up with Calzaghe. Here is a theory, BHop and RJJ didnt much fancy the fight when Calzaghe was asking them to fight him but when their star was on the wane couldnt wait to get in and take the bucks....so they ducked him when they could, and both fought him when they had to.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  Let's get real. First of all, Jeff Lacy wasn't some ranked pound for pounder when Calzaghe fought him. He wasn't even top 20 or anything like that so we can stop with the "Oh Lacy was considered awesome before he fought Calzaghe" BS. Yes, a lot of people (certainly not me) thought he would beat Calzaghe, it was because of how little people thought of Joe, not because Jeff Lacy was a god. He wasn't even popular here; just a fighter who couldn't sell jack **** away from his home state, which is the reason why he flew out to the UK in the first place. And Calzaghe was someone who played second fiddle to Sven Ottke for much of his career. So you're right, it is funny how public perception can change .
                  Note that I never claimed he was a top P4P fighter or that he was thought of as awesome by everyone before the fight. My point was that pre-Joe, a lot of people though Lacy was a good fighter whereas nowadays most people write him off as "never that good anyway" to discredit Joe's resume.

Comment

Note that I never claimed he was a top P4P fighter or that he was thought of as awesome by everyone before the fight. My point was that pre-Joe, a lot of people though Lacy was a good fighter whereas nowadays most people write him off as "never that good anyway" to discredit Joe's resume.
                    Ummm...people don't say he was never that good anyway to discredit Joe...they say it because it's true! Come on, dude!

Comment

Calzaghe is great. the greatest in fact. the greatest piece of sh#t boxing ever had."peeleft:

Comment

Working...
                      X