Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manny Pacquiao Defense Improved since the Marquez 2? Defense against Hatton Pressure?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny Pacquiao Defense Improved since the Marquez 2? Defense against Hatton Pressure?

Here's what Paul Strauss said last March of 2008 after the Marquez 2 fight:

"Manny is a more complete fighter now. His defense has improved, not that his strong chin needs much defense. His speed and ability to change the angle of his punches is uncanny. Marquez seemed confident several times in that he had his own guard properly in place, only to have Manny's punches get inside, or come around the side."

"Manny's so fast that he can almost lull his opponents into a false sense of security, giving them a feeling that their out of range, only to have him spring on to them like a cat. He throws two, three or more hard punches almost at a run. If they are still standing after the assault, they usually have an expression on their face that says, "Where the hell did that come from!"

"I've heard Emanual Steward comment more than once about Manny's poor balance, and that he's often out of position, but I'm not so sure. He seems to be pretty adept at what Jack Dempsey used to call his 'double shift'. With Manny it comes from the opposite side. First he throws the right jab, then a long straight left, with his left leg following, which makes it seem like he extended himself too far, and is out of position. However, another straight right is following up fast, which comes from the orthodox position. He does it in a blur, seemingly to run at his opponent, and to them it probably feels that way too."

Here are some animated gifs of what Strauss describe:

Animated Gif #1: Hoya backs down confident that Pacquiao missed, only to be surprised by another punch (notice that Manny is now more patient backing down as soon as he landed):

Counterpunching the Counterpuncher

Animated Gif #2: Pacquiao faked a jab and as soon as Marquez started countering with a left hook, Pacquiao ducked and threw a huge left of his own. Perfect. Common during Pacquiao's sparring session but rare during his actual fights.

The real question is: will his defensive ability and experience prepare him for Hatton's pressure?
    Pacquiao's defense has improved, Hatton won't land much
    66.15%
    Pacquiao's defense is the same, the fight will be close
    24.62%
    Pacquiao's defense is poor, Hatton's pressure will end in KO/TKO
    9.23%
    Last edited by Fights; 01-28-2009, 04:33 PM.

how do we know his defense has improved he hasnt fought anyone since jmm2...diaz is a bum and oscar is shot..the hatton fight will tell us alot

Comment

Originally posted by larryx View Post
      how do we know his defense has improved he hasnt fought anyone since jmm2...diaz is a bum and oscar is shot..the hatton fight will tell us alot
      What Larry said.

Also even if his defence has Improved Hatton could still land plenty, his footwork is massively underrated.

Comment

His footwork helps out on the defensive side for Pacquiao since he can move in and out and doesn't have to stay in the pocket. That's going to frustrate Hatton because he's going to try and lure Pacquiao into an inside fight while Pac is circling him while tagging him with combos early on. In the later rounds is when Pacquiao will turn it up with the quick combos as Hatton tries lunging in.

The more I see it, the more I see this as another spectacular performance from Pacquiao.

Comment

Originally posted by hammerhiem View Post
          What Larry said.

Also even if his defence has Improved Hatton could still land plenty, his footwork is massively underrated.
          thank you..hatton closes the distance so damn fast..his footwork gave floyd so much problems that my boy actually started jabbing..lol

Comment

Yea, he won so easily in his last fights we don't know 4 sho. Pac has shown his defense can be good if he feels the need to use it tho. Against Hatton, he's got the edge in boxing skill, but I'm sure this fight will be war and his defense won't matter. Chin and stamina will decide this fight.

Comment

Alot more lateral movement , slipping , and turning

Comment

Originally posted by hammerhiem View Post
                What Larry said.

It's improved, he improves with every fight. More importantly though since that fight is he's strategy for each fight has been different. He was more defensively cautious in his DLH bout as supposed to his Tazmanian Devil style from the Marquez bout. It creates the illusion of a completely different fighter. I think he learned quite a bit from being wary of the larger DLH which he will take into future bouts.

Comment

Originally posted by larryx View Post
                  the hatton fight will tell us alot
                  The Hatton fight will be a measuring stick indeed.

Comment

The southpaw style is tricky, especially coming from someone so fast. You have to be able to adjust to it. But by then it may be too late for Hatton. But I think it is true that this will be a great measure of Pac’s abilities.

I don’t think this fight will go the distance.

Comment

Working...
                    X