No announcement yet.

Measured Against All Time - Oscar De La Hoya

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measured Against All Time - Oscar De La Hoya

by Cliff Rold - It will matter if he loses this Saturday, especially considering the size advantage Oscar De La Hoya takes into the ring with Manny Pacquiao. It just won’t matter forever. Oscar’s surest path to defeat is a calendar only months away from a thirty-sixth birthday more than the man in front of him. In choosing Pacquiao, De La Hoya has selected the available opponent with the biggest name and smallest chances. A loss would be fitting comeuppance for taking the fight at all, but won’t detract much from De La Hoya’s standing in history.

That is, if a place in history can be clearly assigned to the “Golden Boy.”

It is sometimes hard to imagine the smiling star of the 1992 Olympics nearing middle-age but it’s a destination most get to and surpass with reluctance. Turned pro mere months after the Gold Medal win which began his story, De La Hoya has been the biggest star of his time but, sixteen years later, it’s tough to figure how Oscar will be remembered.

He doesn’t categorize well.

Having fought at some point in six different weight divisions, he’s difficult to rate in any of them. Compared to other historical scale jumpers, mixed successes in the last ten years and the immediacy of memory make him difficult to measure as well. Could it be that time will allow the sum of his career parts to take on greater meaning? The question is asked: [details]

If DLh somehow gets stopped I think it will have a big effect

Comment

the article is right hoya is not an atg just a hofer nothing special about him, he couldn't even beat shane mosley

Comment

Originally posted by Brandish View Post
        the article is right hoya is not an atg just a hofer nothing special about him, he couldn't even beat shane mosley
        yeah because Mosley is a **** fighter

most people believe he won the second fight. also consider the fact that Mosley was on steroids

Comment

The second fight at least should be changed to a no contest.

Comment

Very good article, I totally agree.

Comment

great article Rold...right on target

always enjoy the read from you

Comment

My personal opinion is that De La Hoya is an All-Time Great. I give a lot more respect to DLH then I do to Calzaghe, who was previously stated to be an ATG. De La Hoya didn't just make big money fights like in his past few fights, he made tough fights. He took on big risks in the ring, knowing there was a possibility he could lose. Comparing the two resumes, I would say beating Vargas, Ruelas, Chavez, Whitaker, Quartey, and Hernandez is more impressive then beating an old Jones, Hopkins, Lacy, Kessler, and Eubank. DLH could have just grabbed a belt and hung onto it for years like Calzaghe did, but no, he took on the biggest and baddest fighters around. Taking on a prime Trinidad, Quartey, and a P4P guy like Mosley, when did Calzaghe ever take those sort of risks. Not saying Calzaghe's not an ATG, just saying that if he is, then DLH deserves that same or better consideration. Because in my mind, boxing isn't about retiring undefeated or losing only once or twice, it's about the challenges you take and the adversity you have overcome. No one in my time watching boxing has taken greater risks then DLH, and even still he has a great record. Oscar DLH is an all time great in my mind, no matter what an article says.

Comment

Originally posted by ULTIMATEBOXA View Post
                  yeah because Mosley is a **** fighter

most people believe he won the second fight. also consider the fact that Mosley was on steroids
                  The second fight shouldn't have occured--at least when it occured.

Yeah it looks good now but Mosley hadn't won a fight in nearly three years, was fighting at a new weight and basically was thought to be slowing down. That's the only reason the fight happened in the first place. Why else would Oscar, who claimed he was robbed in their first fight, wait YEARS to have a rematch?

Comment

Nice article. I still suspect that fighting a smaller fighter like Pacquiao for his exit strategy might take DLH's Hall of Fame status though.

Comment

Working...
                    X