No announcement yet.

Julio Cesar Chavez: One of the greatest fighters ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
    LaPorte was always such a surprising fighter. a lot of losses, but that guy was one tough son of a *****. he always gave people hard fights.

I dont think Ive ever seen a better late round fighter than Sal Sanchez. ever. he was a slow starter sometimes, but he would always start dominating toward the end.

I thought Nelson was in slightly better shape when he beat up Wilfredo Gomez...but yea, he must have been training anyway when he got that call two weeks before the fight, he looked great in the Sanchez fight. no way you could say he was out of shape.

I never seen the Gomez fight.I know Nelson won in a tough fight.

Comment

Ability wise he wasn't the greatest Mexican fighter IMO but accomplishment wise, he was.

Comment

well, heres the same video, but the songs different. which is a shame, because I thought Twilight Time fit so well with it. I ended up deleting the file after I put it on youtube, so not even I have the original. bastards. haha.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUELEcCSXE4
        Nelson was great in rematches, Ive never seen either Mario Martinez fights sadly(wish I had) but even in his late 30s he was figuring guys like Ruelas and Leija out and kicking their ass in revenge from his losses. Nelson did strike me as a guy who had some off nights though, he could change pretty dramatically from one fight to the next.
        Thanks for the Cuevas link.

I seen the Ruelas and some of the Leija fights they had 4.

I and everybody else watching that night at my house agreed that Gabriel was robbed in the 1st fight. And in the 2nd fight, that wasn't even the same Gabriel Ruelas that fought Nelson the 1st time. The Garcia fight really messed with his mind -r.i.p jimmy garcia.

And ironicly, Leija got robbed against Nelson as well. They even screwed up the cards when they announced Leija as the winner then gave it back to Nelson but Leija won that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by ferocity View Post
          I never seen the Gomez fight.I know Nelson won in a tough fight.
          Its a nice one, you should see it. it wasnt as close as the scores indicate though. the judges had Gomez ahead, but I, and the commentary too, thought that Nelson was ahead, and that Gomez was the one who needed a KO to win from the 10th round on.

and Sal did seem like he would be awesome in rematches too...so final verdict, I would probebly say that the fight would have been different, but ultimately Sanchez would have probebly ended up winning again. probebly not by TKO though.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
            Ability wise he wasn't the greatest Mexican fighter IMO but accomplishment wise, he was.
            Who do you got at #1?

Comment

Who do you got at #1?
              I think Sanchez and Lopez had more ability.

Comment

no, believe it or not, they took the video down because of the SONG. yea, can you believe that? even though if you look up 3s and 7s, you can a million things that play the full song anyway, including dumb guitar hero recordings and probebly montages of random things.

they did it to my Pipino cuevas highlight too, which was really irritating. theyre not going to let me use Twilight time by the platters? what the hell. do they have any idea how old that song is...?

youtube is just strange sometimes.
                thats ****ed up, the cuevas highlight was badass too. you should reupload them without including the song's title in the description so the record company will be unable to track it down.

Comment

I think Sanchez and Lopez had more ability.
                  These guys deffently do both things great. Lopez proved he could out fight a great pressure fighter, puncher in Alvarez. And we know Sanchez could do both. Chavez could box, but of course his skills ain't like Sanchez or Lopez but he was so good at what he does he hardly had to box.

Comment

These guys deffently do both things great. Lopez proved he could out fight a great pressure fighter, puncher in Alvarez. And we know Sanchez could do both. Chavez could box, but of course his skills ain't like Sanchez or Lopez but he was so good at what he does he hardly had to box.
                    Those guys were great fighters, Lopez is one of the best pure boxers I've seen and Sanchez was one of the most complete, Chavez was sometimes a little but one dimensional but as you said, what he did, he did it great, it's hard to say if he would have the same success as he did had he not possessed such a great chin.

Comment

Those guys were great fighters, Lopez is one of the best pure boxers I've seen and Sanchez was one of the most complete, Chavez was sometimes a little but one dimensional but as you said, what he did, he did it great, it's hard to say if he would have the same success as he did had he not possessed such a great chin.
                      His chin was great. But he also had great defence that gets over looked especially in close quarters he hardly got hit clean. Imo, as he went up and got older he used his chin more because he didn't train like he used too, and Chavez has said this himself - the not training 100% later in his career. Chavez got hit by Roger Maywather in the 1st fight that buckled Chavez knees and that gets over looked cause Chavez bit down and rushed on attack and ko'd Mayweather. I honestly think he'd still be great if he had a normal chin, but he may not have lasted so long, cause he was fighting big guys at 154 in older age and taking one hell of a shot at old age.

Comment

Working...
                      X