Collapse
No announcement yet.

Julio Cesar Chavez: One of the greatest fighters ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you've put up a hell of an argument black.personally I'm biased towards sanchez.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
      sadly, it got taken off youtube because of copyright infringement. which is really a joke. so I had to turn to dailymotion instead.
      really? i think my roy highlight is gone too.

Comment

sadly, it got taken off youtube because of copyright infringement. which is really a joke. so I had to turn to dailymotion instead.
        was it a viewer that reported your vid? hbo are the biggest pricks about removing their content but even they generally leave highlight vids alone

Comment

Sal might have ended up being greater than Chavez had his life not been cut short...but sometimes I kind of question that. the guys record was amazing, simply amazing for his age and how long he had been around. two wins over Tony Lopez, a win over Wilfredo Gomez and a win over Azumah Nelson? in only about 2 years? just insane.

but on the other hand, if Nelson had more time to prepare for that fight, he very well may have won it. I mean, look how close the fight was, and I believe Nelson only took the fight on two weeks notice. really just a testament to how good Azumah was.
          also, Ive never actually seen the fight, but it seems like Sal had a pretty hard time with Pat Cowdell, who interestingly enough ended up getting brutally knocked out by Nelson too. nasty left uppercut, 1st round I think.
          so I kind of wonder what would have happened in the future if Sal hadnt died. what a shame.

I want to make an Azumah Nelson highlight, he was always one of my favorites, and it seems like hes pretty underrated. but I dont have nearly enough good footage of the guy to do a fighter like him justice.
          Nelson and Sanchez had two differnt styles. And if Nelson wasn't in tip top shape then i don't know if i ever seen him in tip top shape. The Cowdell fight was close but Sanchez finished fast and had him hurt a few times.

I watched Nelson v. J.Laporte, i expected a war but got a boxing match. And i thought the fight could have gone either way and had i scored it I think i would have given it to Laporte who pressured Nelson and seemed to engage more then Nelson who was boxing all the rounds.

I finally got the software to download you video, you really did a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by JaguarJames View Post
            was it a viewer that reported your vid? hbo are the biggest pricks about removing their content but even they generally leave highlight vids alone
            no, believe it or not, they took the video down because of the SONG. yea, can you believe that? even though if you look up 3s and 7s, you can a million things that play the full song anyway, including dumb guitar hero recordings and probebly montages of random things.

they did it to my Pipino cuevas highlight too, which was really irritating. theyre not going to let me use Twilight time by the platters? what the hell. do they have any idea how old that song is...?

youtube is just strange sometimes.

Comment

no, believe it or not, they took the video down because of the SONG. yea, can you believe that? even though if you look up 3s and 7s, you can a million things that play the full song anyway, including dumb guitar hero recordings and probebly montages of random things.

they did it to my Pipino cuevas highlight too, which was really irritating. theyre not going to let me use Twilight time by the platters? what the hell. do they have any idea how old that song is...?

youtube is just strange sometimes.
              Do you still have the pipino curevas hightlight if so send it to me that was a great one.

Comment

you think Calzaghe's 46-0 record is impressive? Chavez was 68-0 and had been champ at 3 different weight classes before his controversial fight.
                You think Hopkins' title defences are impressive? Chavez has more successful title defences than any fighter in the history of the sport.
                All people seem to care about is his robbery draw against Pernell...but keep in mind, by the time Pernell was having his pro debut, Chavez already had 40+ fights and was a world champ. not taking anything away from Pernell, but it kind of puts it into perspective.
                and the Meldrick Taylor fight? well, if that fight was 15 rounds, there would be 0 controversy. yes, of course that means something. Imagine if Ray Leonard vs. Tommy Hearns 1 was only 12 rounds. Imagine if Conn vs. Louis was only 12 rounds. boxing history would be dramatically changed.

and most importantly he beat a ton of future/former world champs, along with great fighters that never ended up winning a title...like Mario Martinez, who went to split decision with Azumah Nelson.
                Not to mention he fought more championship rounds than 99% of the other great boxers out there.

I don't want to listen to anything said about the Whitaker/Taylor fights because I have had a strong opinion set on both of those fights for awhile. Chavez is one of my favorite fighters ever, in my top 10, but I felt he should have lost both of those fights. I believe Whitaker won 8-9 rounds and Taylor should have been allowed to see the final bell. Doesn't detract from Chavez' greatness in my opinion, but I just felt that he ran in to two better opponents on those respective nights.

Nobody will ever approach his unbelievable record again though. The last guy who fought as often as Chavez was James Toney...and I doubt we'll ever see another JT either.

but on the other hand, if Nelson had more time to prepare for that fight, he very well may have won it. I mean, look how close the fight was, and I believe Nelson only took the fight on two weeks notice. really just a testament to how good Azumah was.
                also, Ive never actually seen the fight, but it seems like Sal had a pretty hard time with Pat Cowdell, who interestingly enough ended up getting brutally knocked out by Nelson too. nasty left uppercut, 1st round I think.
                so I kind of wonder what would have happened in the future if Sal hadnt died. what a shame.

I want to make an Azumah Nelson highlight, he was always one of my favorites, and it seems like hes pretty underrated. but I dont have nearly enough good footage of the guy to do a fighter like him justice.
                I maintain that Zoom would have had a great shot at beating Sanchez in a rematch, especially at 130. Going from what we know, Nelson got BETTER in rematches (Martinez, Fenech, Ruelas). He matured as a fighter and became an excellent boxer in his prime.

Nelson is one of the 3 greatest 130 pounders of all-time...and an all-time great.

Comment

Originally posted by ferocity View Post
                  Nelson and Sanchez had two differnt styles. And if Nelson wasn't in tip top shape then i don't know if i ever seen him in tip top shape. The Cowdell fight was close but Sanchez finished fast and had him hurt a few times.

I watched Nelson v. J.Laporte, i expected a war but got a boxing match. And i thought the fight could have gone either way and had i scored it I think i would have given it to Laporte who pressured Nelson and seemed to engage more then Nelson who was boxing all the rounds.

I finally got the software to download you video, you really did a great job.
                  LaPorte was always such a surprising fighter. a lot of losses, but that guy was one tough son of a *****. he always gave people hard fights.

I dont think Ive ever seen a better late round fighter than Sal Sanchez. ever. he was a slow starter sometimes, but he would always start dominating toward the end.

I thought Nelson was in slightly better shape when he beat up Wilfredo Gomez...but yea, he must have been training anyway when he got that call two weeks before the fight, he looked great in the Sanchez fight. no way you could say he was out of shape.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgringo View Post
                    Not to mention he fought more championship rounds than 99% of the other great boxers out there.

I don't want to listen to anything said about the Whitaker/Taylor fights because I have had a strong opinion set on both of those fights for awhile. Chavez is one of my favorite fighters ever, in my top 10, but I felt he should have lost both of those fights. I believe Whitaker won 8-9 rounds and Taylor should have been allowed to see the final bell. Doesn't detract from Chavez' greatness in my opinion, but I just felt that he ran in to two better opponents on those respective nights.

Nobody will ever approach his unbelievable record again though. The last guy who fought as often as Chavez was James Toney...and I doubt we'll ever see another JT either.

I maintain that Zoom would have had a great shot at beating Sanchez in a rematch, especially at 130. Going from what we know, Nelson got BETTER in rematches (Martinez, Fenech, Ruelas). He matured as a fighter and became an excellent boxer in his prime.

Nelson is one of the 3 greatest 130 pounders of all-time...and an all-time great.
                    The thing is Sanchez did great in rematchs too, at least the one i seen him in he beat up Lopez worser in the 2nd fight.

And i think there is no way Nelson could have fought a better fight that night. He wasn't going to out box Sanchez. That night Nelson had it all to beat some other champions but not Sanchez.

Comment

Originally posted by ferocity View Post
                      Do you still have the pipino curevas hightlight if so send it to me that was a great one.
                      well, heres the same video, but the songs different. which is a shame, because I thought Twilight Time fit so well with it. I ended up deleting the file after I put it on youtube, so not even I have the original. bastards. haha.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUELEcCSXE4
                      Originally posted by oldgringo View Post

Nelson was great in rematches, Ive never seen either Mario Martinez fights sadly(wish I had) but even in his late 30s he was figuring guys like Ruelas and Leija out and kicking their ass in revenge from his losses. Nelson did strike me as a guy who had some off nights though, he could change pretty dramatically from one fight to the next.

Comment

Working...
                      X