Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopkins: "No Interest in Jones Rematch, Roy Must Quit"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after seeing what happened this saturday I see why people say he should retire. but he truly doesnt have to. Its just obvious he cannot beat elite competition anymore. But but im sure he can beat someone like erdei

Comment

A week ago he wanted to fight Roy. I like you Bernard but this just reeks of Calzaghe hating.

Comment

Another classy move by Hopkins.

First the teenager with cancer who was his biggest fan and now turning down a big money Jones rematch.

Bernard Hopkins is quickly becoming my most respected personality in boxing...

Comment

Originally posted by timba1988 View Post
          A week ago he wanted to fight Roy. I like you Bernard but this just reeks of Calzaghe hating.
          A week ago he hadn't seen how badly shot Roy Jones Jr. actually was.

Hopkins isn't going to pick the man's bones.

Joe will rematch Roy in Wales though. I can just feel it.

Especially now that Roy can't accept the loss and blames his cutman.

Comment

Hopkins is right about this, has he become a nicer person to the public all of a sudden?

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
              Hopkins is right about this, has he become a nicer person to the public all of a sudden?
              It certainly seems that way. He's done a lot of really genuine **** over the years people forget about, to either discredit him, or the negative things he's done/said overshadow them.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                It certainly seems that way. He's done a lot of really genuine **** over the years people forget about, to either discredit him, or the negative things he's done/said overshadow them.
                He has done a lot of good things for the community and his relationship with Shaun Negler was really touching but he always came across as a tough guy in his interviews up until prior to the Pavlik fight, maybe he doesn't have that big a chip on his shoulder anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                  He has done a lot of good things for the community and his relationship with Shaun Negler was really touching but he always came across as a tough guy in his interviews up until prior to the Pavlik fight, maybe he doesn't have that big a chip on his shoulder anymore.
                  I think Hopkins himself said it best in the post fight interview after the Pavlik fight.

"I'm getting tired of feeling like I have to prove myself."

I think that applies to a lot more than just inside the boxing ring.

No doubt Bernard has said and done some pretty rough things in the past, but he's done some serious good people forget about too. He donates to charity, that story about Shaun Negler was heartbreaking, and remember how bitter he was after the Taylor losses? Then he was front row cheering Jermain on against Winky the week after his fight with Tarver.

Not to mention the way he was showing respect to Kelly both before, and after their fight. It was the first time in a long time where I haven't seen Hopkins try to play the role of "bad guy" before a big fight.

Comment

Originally posted by mt102879 View Post
                    I always thought they had respect for each other since you never really heard either talk down about one another as far as ability or accomplishments inside the ring. It just seemed to be the business side of things where they would feud.
                    True ........just look at them .....kickin' it like homies!

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                      I think Hopkins himself said it best in the post fight interview after the Pavlik fight.

"I'm getting tired of feeling like I have to prove myself."

I think that applies to a lot more than just inside the boxing ring.

No doubt Bernard has said and done some pretty rough things in the past, but he's done some serious good people forget about too. He donates to charity, that story about Shaun Negler was heartbreaking, and remember how bitter he was after the Taylor losses? Then he was front row cheering Jermain on against Winky the week after his fight with Tarver.

Not to mention the way he was showing respect to Kelly both before, and after their fight. It was the first time in a long time where I haven't seen Hopkins try to play the role of "bad guy" before a big fight.
                      It's a welcome change, I was getting tired of his bad guy image, I'm beginning to like this new classier nice guy image.
                      Last edited by Silencers; 11-12-2008, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X