Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it right for a champion to act like Calzaghe did?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
    At first it was funny but the more he did it the more tasteless I thought it became.

Especially when Roy's eye was completely swollen shut and bleeding all over his face and chest and Joe was just literally toying with him.

I guess the answer to your question depends on the viewer. Personally I thought it was a bit tasteless to act that way, especially when in the prior 4 weeks he's talked of nothing but his respect and admiration for Roy.
    It's boxing.
    Originally posted by Duke McKenzie_ View Post
    To be honest, it pissed me right off.

Roy's a kind-hearted, honest and loving guy who's only ever wanted to see chickens and dogs fighting each other to the death. He didn't deserve to be treated like that.

Nice guy Roy... y'all must've forgot!

Comment

Originally posted by letsgobrady View Post
      i think joe feels a certain way about hopkins and jones due to the fact that they did not give him a fight earlier in their careers so he probably felt the need to try to embarass roy
      Yup, I know that is why he did that. They only wanted Joe later on, when Joe wanted them in there primes. I think Hopkins got better with age though, because he became more defensive minded, and he knew he needed to cheat and clinch against Calzaghe to pull off an upset.

Comment

Originally posted by letsgobrady View Post
        i think joe feels a certain way about hopkins and jones due to the fact that they did not give him a fight earlier in their careers so he probably felt the need to try to embarass roy
        and joe wanted these fights? when those 2 were in their primes?

frank warren is laughing at you.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ The Truth View Post
          Smiling in a sick sadistic way as he pounds a former boxing great who is a shell of a his former self. I could maybe understand if Roy was a mean guy, but being that hes not...I don't see why someone with class would do that.

This is different than the clowing Roy does, first of all Roy does it in a light hearted way. Even against Tito, you could tell it was just for show and they were smiling about it. Secondly he hasn't done it against a fighter on the way down, while he was still elite...

To me it was classless. **** even Lampley said, alright Joe you've proved your point.
          umm i truly believe roy did it WAYYYY more times than calzaghe, have you seen the fight vs richard hall? he showed his arrogance and cockyness on that fight.

man please.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ The Truth View Post
            Did he ever do it while he was an elite fighter against a faded ATG?

Calzaghe obviously has no respect for Roy Jones Jr.
            I would have done the same thing that Calzaghe did.

Boxing is not about being a nice guy just because the guy you are fighting is Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins or a James Toney etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MacChamp View Post
              Yup, I know that is why he did that. They only wanted Joe later on, when Joe wanted them in there primes.
              that's 100% bull.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                Yes, Roy was a cocky son of a ***** during his prime, and that's why I never liked him.

But I can't recall a single time when Roy had a guy who was bleeding all over himself and couldn't see out of 1 eye, and proceeded to taunt him and dance infront of him.
                Roy even said, theres some guys he let off he hook because he didn't want to hurt them.

After he took Griffin out in 1, he said he felt bad he embarrassed like he did...

The point is, when your an elite fighter, and you take out a legendary former elite fighter...you should do it in a respectful manner.

Comment

what did you want calzaghe to do? he has no power so he couldn't put him away. as for not fighting hopkins or jones earlier is that why frank warren said calzaghe made him fight hopeless mismatches his entire career even when warren wanted big fights?

Comment

i think what kind of annoyed me about it was that it was late in the fight and roy was bleeding and just trying to make it to the end, roy and calzhage showboated, which is great, but i think it was a bit much toward the end, however its nothing to get upset over.

Comment

Originally posted by KESSLER View Post
                      I would have done the same thing that Calzaghe did.

Boxing is not about being a nice guy just because the guy you are fighting is Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins or a James Toney etc.
                      Boxing is not about being a nice guy, but I respect the fighters that are. I respect good people who have a heart and realize that people they are fighting have families too.

Comment

Working...
                      X