No announcement yet.

Vitali’s Performance Was a Tribute To Lennox Lewis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elbonzoseco View Post
    Lewis got the win, but to me Vitaly proved to be the better man. Lewis disrespected Vitaly by playing down his performance. He always wanted to see him lose, even advised future opponents how to do it (ill-advised actually). That's pretty obsessive as well. And finally, he broke his word. He promised to rematch Vitaly, but retired instead, claiming he had nothing left to prove. I'm not a big fan of Calzaghe, but after the Kessler fight, he said he wouldn't wanna fight him again, because Kessler's only getting better. That's some good sportsmanship, I never heard anything like this from Lennox.
    Klitchko on the other hand always respected Lewis, saying he's the best he's ever fought, even thanks him for giving him the chance to prove his skills against him.
    I think Lewis knows in his heart, that he just got lucky.
    Outstanding points, I totally agree. Good job for a new poster! Keep them coming!

Comment

Originally posted by raycorey View Post
      Turned 43 last month...
      oh man, forget it vitali...

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing_Girl23 View Post
        Then Vitali should be considered a better Heavyweight then Lennox cause Lewis only retired cause he had to face Vitali again or be stripped of his title and he chose to retire.
        Vitaly didn't force Lewis to retire, Lewis lost the hunger to fight after Tyson fight. He came into the Vitaly fight overweight and undertrained... clear signs of lackadaisicalness. He did the smart thing by retiring because he just couldn't motivate himself to get in shape anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
          Vitaly didn't force Lewis to retire, Lewis lost the hunger to fight after Tyson fight. He came into the Vitaly fight overweight and undertrained... clear signs of lackadaisicalness. He did the smart thing by retiring because he just couldn't motivate himself to get knocked out anymore.
          fixed it for you

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            That's about the smartest logic I've seen here today and I see some pretty damn smart logic here!

Ok. Where were we? Oh ... Klit. I think a lot of people don't really understand what was happening to Klit's eye. That thing was a severe mess. Another two rounds, and Lewis was getting stronger, and it would have swollen over his eye and kept splitting further down and across. Imagine Vargas' eye against Mosley with Klit's cut over the top ... Because that's what would have eventually happened.

Folks also don't get the fact that Lewis hardly trained at all. He had never come into a fight in worse shape, which is his own stupid fault, but it just shows you that if they had had a rematch with the proper Lewis, as in the one that was in against Tyson, it would have been a lot worse for Klit and a lot easier for Lewis.
            If Lewis truly believed that he would not have had his own doctors inspect Vitali's eye, just to make "sure" he was ok. He would not procrastinate to see how well Vitali did against Kirk Johnson before making his decision, and he would not go back on his promise.

Truth of the matter is, no matter how good in shape Lewis would've came into the rematch he wouldve lost, because there was a spark in Vitali that refused to lose again because of a cut in a fight he was winning, and Lewis sensed that, and made the smart choice.

Comment

I can't beleive people think Lewis was afraid of Vitali after fighting some of the best heavyweights of the last fifty years. Lewis just didn't want to sacrifice anymore and make 10 or 13 million dollar pay days after making 40 for the Tyson fight. After someone start making 50 or 60k a year salary, they don't won't work for 10 bucks an hour. Its that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing_Girl23 View Post
                Then Vitali should be considered a better Heavyweight then Lennox cause Lewis only retired cause he had to face Vitali again or be stripped of his title and he chose to retire.
                If we used you logic then Byrd is a better boxer because Vitali retired in the fight rather than fight on and Rahman is the better boxer than Vitali because he retired rather than face him...
                flawed logic

Lewis has beaten the better fighters and IS the better fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Enayze View Post
                  If Lewis truly believed that he would not have had his own doctors inspect Vitali's eye, just to make "sure" he was ok. He would not procrastinate to see how well Vitali did against Kirk Johnson before making his decision, and he would not go back on his promise.

Truth of the matter is, no matter how good in shape Lewis would've came into the rematch he wouldve lost, because there was a spark in Vitali that refused to lose again because of a cut in a fight he was winning, and Lewis sensed that, and made the smart choice.
                  The truth of the matter is you will never know.

Comment

Originally posted by kayjay View Post
                    Lewis was in great shape and was soundly beaten by Vitali.

256 and a half pounds was not great shape for Lewis. Saying that Lewis was "soundly beaten" is extreme exaggeration on your part. Even the rounds Lewis lost on the scorecards were close. This was no one sided fight. There's no question that the momentum was on Lewis side considering he won the last two rounds of the fight.

The stoppage was a good one, but Lewis was NOT taking over that fight. He could have as well been stopped, and wouldn't have lasted another round. He was done as well.

That's speculation at best. Vitlai getting busted wide open in different parts of his face is fact.

Comment

Originally posted by elbonzoseco View Post
                      Lewis got the win, but to me Vitaly proved to be the better man. Lewis disrespected Vitaly by playing down his performance. He always wanted to see him lose, even advised future opponents how to do it (ill-advised actually). That's pretty obsessive as well.
                      Lewis is retired but people like you are still talking about his fight with Vitali 6 years ago.Who's really obsessive here?

And finally, he broke his word. He promised to rematch Vitaly, but retired instead, claiming he had nothing left to prove.
                      He didn't. Lewis could retire any damn time he wanted to at that point and he didn't need Klitschko's approval.

I'm not a big fan of Calzaghe, but after the Kessler fight, he said he wouldn't wanna fight him again, because Kessler's only getting better. That's some good sportsmanship, I never heard anything like this from Lennox.
                      Klitchko on the other hand always respected Lewis, saying he's the best he's ever fought,

What else could he say? He would look stupid if he said Danny Williams or Corrie Sanders were better.

I think Lewis knows in his heart, that he just got lucky[/U].
                      Cutting your opponent in a boxing match is no more lucky than a pro baseball player hitting a home run or a basketball player hitting a 3 point shot. Your logic makes no sense.
                      Last edited by joseph5620; 10-17-2008, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X