Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do So Many Great Punchers Have Suspect Chins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

julio cesar chavez? well i would'nt really consider him a puncher considering he wore you down then knocked you out

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
      tito didn't have a suspect chin.

his chin was solid.

he was knocked down a lot in the early rounds because of a combination of balance and not being warmed up yet.

tito was rarely ever hurt.

he was koed once in his career and it was more of the i am exhausted , i have nothing left , i give up type ko losses.
      Roy Jones checked his chin, but that was recent.

But what I'm trying to get at is......

Is it more correct to say that punchers are "in position" to get hit in a way that would hurt them because they are always trying to create a "punching" opportunity.

I don't know if you all watched UFC this weekend, but Chuck Liddell, a great puncher, got KTFO on a countershot as he was seeking an uppercut.

Comment

Not all great punchers had poor chins. The very best (in my opinion) did however. Hearns, Jackson and Joe Louis.

Other GREAT punchers with solid whiskers:

Arguello
        Gomez
        Foreman
        Marciano
        MSM
        Bad Briscoe
        Tszyu
        Ray Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Puas View Post
          Roy Jones checked his chin, but that was recent.

But what I'm trying to get at is......

Is it more correct to say that punchers are "in position" to get hit in a way that would hurt them because they are always trying to create a "punching" opportunity.

I don't know if you all watched UFC this weekend, but Chuck Liddell, a great puncher, got KTFO on a countershot as he was seeking an uppercut.
          roy is a natural 160-168 guy who has 175-190 power in his prime.

besides tito is way past prime.

chuck doesn't have the best of chins and mma guys are more open to getting caught flush because of their stance and the smaller gloves.

Comment

I know not all of them are chiny, but there have been a whole lot of murderous punchers with suspect beards.

Tommy Hearns, Julian Jackson, Tito Trinidad, Chico Corrales, Rafa Marquez just to name a few.

Why is this?
            Tito a weak chin? One dimensional maybe but not a weak chin.

Comment

I know not all of them are chiny, but there have been a whole lot of murderous punchers with suspect beards.

Tommy Hearns, Julian Jackson, Tito Trinidad, Chico Corrales, Rafa Marquez just to name a few.

Why is this?
              My guess is that many of them are used to overwhelming their opponents, opposed to getting hit a lot in return.That creates defensive weaknesses and lapses. Of course, there are also big punchers who had excellent chins like Foreman or Duran at 135. Gerald McClellan also had a very stong chin.

Comment

they have one philosophy: good offense is the best defense.

with that, they tend to be one dimensional. in the process they leave loopholes in their arsel thats why they get KTFO

Comment

Originally posted by kg21mvp View Post
                  they have one philosophy: good offense is the best defense.

with that, they tend to be one dimensional. in the process they leave loopholes in their arsel thats why they get KTFO
                  That's what I think it is as well. Maybe they aren't chinny, but rather leave themselves exposed to getting CRACKED.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                    tito didn't have a suspect chin.

his chin was solid.

he was knocked down a lot in the early rounds because of a combination of balance and not being warmed up yet.

tito was rarely ever hurt.

he was koed once in his career and it was more of the i am exhausted , i have nothing left , i give up type ko losses.
                    Dude when Hopkins dropped Trinidad his eyes were floating all over the place man. That wasn't a he gave up thing, he was legitimately hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gully Gad View Post
                      Lennox lewis wasnt much of a puncher though..
                      He banged some mans out but they were past punch resistance by then..
                      He could bang but i wouldnt call him a puncher
                      i beg to differ, see sig.

Comment

Working...
                      X