Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali or Louis who was the greatest Heavy Weight of all time??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joe louis, but it's hard to ignore an undefeated marciano as well imo. say what you want the man was 49-0.

Comment

^^Agreed. People will not like it but i always had Louis and Rocky ahead of Ali

Comment

My avatar and signature answers this question for me.

19 successful title defenses, 25 championship fights, not including fights for the NABF title, if I had included it, he would have been involved in over 30 heavyweight title fights.

Came out on top in what many consider to be the golden era of heavyweights.

Comment

Originally posted by KILLA RIGHT View Post
          Ali didn't have charisma he was a loud annoying son of a *****. Joe was a better person and much better fighter. If he ran his mouth like Ali he would of been more popular. But he got it done better then any other heavy ever in the ring

With all due respect, I disagree with this whole post. First, Ali exuded charisma and still does to this day. As loud as he was, I never got the sense that he didn't entirely believe in himself, even when he was putting on an act. The guy was great. Second, if Joe Louis had run his mouth like Ali in the 30's and 40's he would have been kicked to the curb by much of white America. Louis, while a true and real person, followed a strict guidline of rules so he could and would remain popular with all Americans. And it worked. Not only did blacks love him, but whites did too. I would bet both my arms that wouldn't have been the case had Joe had Ali's personality back then.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            With all due respect, I disagree with this whole post. First, Ali exuded charisma and still does to this day. As loud as he was, I never got the sense that he didn't entirely believe in himself, even when he was putting on an act. The guy was great. Second, if Joe Louis had run his mouth like Ali in the 30's and 40's he would have been kicked to the curb by much of white America. Louis, while a true and real person, followed a strict guidline of rules so he could and would remain popular with all Americans. And it worked. Not only did blacks love him, but whites did too. I would bet both my arms that wouldn't have been the case had Joe had Ali's personality back then.
            Beat me to it. I totally agree with what you said.

To answer the threadstarters question i would go with Ali. Louis opened the door for Ali and it never closed since. Without Louis there would have been no Ali i'm sure of that. Well, not the Ali we all knew and loved, but the man changed Boxing forever, although Louis had the world watching when he beat Schmeling.

Too close to call really as both men have many pro's going for themselves. I'm only going with Ali as i know his career a lot better then i do of Joe's.

Comment

Originally posted by luckylefty731 View Post
              Anyone have their pick and please state your reason why you chose who you did........Lefty
              Ali. Match Ali's competition with Joe Louis competition and there's your answer. A lot of people also forget that Ali is the 3rd youngest heavyweight to ever win the title. Not to mention, he had almost 4 years of his prime taken away from him and STILL came back and beat a young, destructive, prime Foreman.In Ali's first comeback fights after the exile, he fought TOP heavyweights Jerry Quarry and Oscar Bonevna before going for the world belt. When Mike Tyson came back he fought Peter Macneely. No incative fighter that I can think of comes back and does what Ali did..That shows you what level Ali was on. There's no "edge in accomplishments" for Louis. I'll rest my case with that.

Comment

Ali beat men in gorilla suits, Louis never did. Rocky never did either. Louis was ko'd in his prime Ali wasn't. Rocky's comp and his record do not dare give me enough evidence to call him the best heavy ever. Rocky was a fine fighter. Louis was too. Both were great actually. Ali's comp is so far superior to any heavyweight that this thread should be a thread for who is second. Kidding. Ali is the best fighter ever. He never came close to taking a 10 count, and his comp and wins over 2 boogey men in Liston and Foreman alone prove the man's legend. The contenders Ali faced could probably beat some heavies today.

Comment

Joe Louis Barrow is the greatest heavyweight champion of all time period. No disrespect to Ali... Ali was great but not the greatest...

RIP Joe

Comment

Rocky was a great boxer but compare his resume to Ali’s. Ali did the unthinkable at times, greatest boxer.People saying Rocky was undefeated and pride him on that being undefeated in a weak era are stupid. . If there was to be another undefeated HW would that diminish Rocky legacy

Comment

Originally posted by Guled View Post
                      Rocky was a great boxer but compare his resume to Ali’s. Ali did the unthinkable at times, greatest boxer.People saying Rocky was undefeated and pride him on that being undefeated in a weak era are stupid. . If there was to be another undefeated HW would that diminish Rocky legacy
                      who talking about Rocky? The poll was for ALI & Louis....

Comment

Working...
                      X