No announcement yet.

Amateur Records

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
    You are right about Breland as an amateur..when he was on network TV on the weekends it was like a big fight involving a top pro... I mean, his New York City GG title win was shown on ABC!! Back then the top amateurs were STARS and Mark scored some wicked knockouts along the way.

John....

I remember they were trying to hype up a kid named Ron Essett. They ran a story on him in Bert Sugar's Boxing Illustrated, & his peple claimed he was the biggest hitting amateur out there.
    I was pretty psyched when I tuned into an ABC show, & saw that Essett would be facing Breland. Breland knocked him out, I think in the second round.
    That was just an amateur fight, with no kind of title or tourney on the line.

Damn....I'm almost tearing up, thinking back to those days !
    "USA vs. The World In Amateur Boxing"....."Sugar Ray Leonard's Golden Gloves".....
    Seeing chubby lil' Craig Payne upsetting Teo Stevenson....
    Steve McCrory, Paul Gonzalez, the Canadians- DeWitt & O'Sullivan...

Comment

Ron Essett was disgraceful against Eubank in that open-air event (pro), he was intimidated by Eubank's presence and too scared to throw a punch.

I heard Essett came very close to making the Olympic team though in '84, only losing close decisions to Frank Tate and Virgil Hill at Olympic Trials - both went on to win Olympic Gold's.

Comment

Originally posted by GEOFFHAYES View Post
        Ron Essett was disgraceful against Eubank in that open-air event (pro), he was intimidated by Eubank's presence and too scared to throw a punch.

I heard Essett came very close to making the Olympic team though in '84, only losing close decisions to Frank Tate and Virgil Hill at Olympic Trials - both went on to win Olympic Gold's.

Considering Breland, Tate, & Hill were all in different weight classes......that just doesn't sound right. You're talking about about a leap through several weight classes, in a very short time.

Comment

Ron is a good friend of mine and was a GOOD puncher. He won the North American title in 1983 at 147 and he also won the National Golden Gloves in 1984 at 156 pounds with a decision in the finals over future world champ William Guthrie. At 147 he was stopped by Breland.

Comment

What was wrong with him against Eubank? Was he depressed or something or ill? That was honestly embarassing - Eubank was awful (even ridiculous) when he had to looking for an opponent, and Essett just ran away alnight and barely threw anything so it made for a terrible fight.

Comment

Originally posted by GEOFFHAYES View Post
              What was wrong with him against Eubank? Was he depressed or something or ill? That was honestly embarassing - Eubank was awful (even ridiculous) when he had to looking for an opponent, and Essett just ran away alnight and barely threw anything so it made for a terrible fight.
              Billy "The Preacher" Graham worships satan.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                Gotta remember....
                Savon & Stevenson were full grown men KOing guys around the 20 year-old mark.
                You are absolutely right. Forgot to consider that. Same thing with lots of the russian fighters...the cuban and russian fighters had tons of amateur experience. However, I do know that there was much hype about Stevenson and he was relatively young during that time.

Shame how our amateur program has gotten so bad.

Comment

Rocky Marciano (9-4)

LOL

Good old Rocky.

Comment

Don't know if anyone pointed this out yet but Marciano's amateur record was 8-4 not 9-4

not that it makes a beg difference

Comment

I was 57-13 as an amateur with 12 stoppages from 1983 to 1988... I kept my amateur record EXACTLY ...I have every detail... names, places, dates, venues, everything. My best year statistically was 1987 when I went 17-1 (with the lone loss coming in the finals of the 1987 National Golden Gloves Tournament of Champions

Comment

Working...
                      X