Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Ali stylistically struggle with Frazier but not Patterson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Ali stylistically struggle with Frazier but not Patterson?

Frazier and Patterson were pretty similiar. Why wasn't Patterson able to capitalize on his swarming the way Joe did? More gun shy?

Ali fought a past his prime Patterson, while he was at his absolute prime.

Ali fought Frazier after being gone 3 years and no longer being able to float like he used to.

I've always thought '66 Ali never loses or comes close to losing to Frazier.

Prime Patterson (pre-Liston) gives Ali more of a run for his money

Comment

Originally posted by The D3vil View Post

That's not what he thought. He said: Frazier would have always been a difficult opponent for me.
      4truth 4truth Adonis600 Adonis600 like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugilist89 View Post

That's not what he thought. He said: Frazier would have always been a difficult opponent for me.
        Difficult does not mean he would lose to him.I don't think Frazier and Patterson were that similar myself.
        Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post
          Difficult does not mean he would lose to him.I don't think Frazier and Patterson were that similar myself.

They were and they weren't. Patterson was like a Frazier with hesitation. That might be why Ali had such an easy ride with Patterson but not Frazier

Comment

Ali was a very entertaining guy, but not a great boxer, and in reality had 7-8 more losses than his record states and lost 3-0, very clearly to Norton. His best win is over Foreman, but Foreman had zero boxing ability, no speed, and just power, so style wise, suited Ali down to the ground. I see Ali as being on the Helenius level. Cash in

Comment

That cross block left hook is awkward for anyone. It's a great strategy if you are giving up height and reach.

Comment

Originally posted by Cash in View Post
                Ali was a very entertaining guy, but not a great boxer, and in reality had 7-8 more losses than his record states and lost 3-0, very clearly to Norton. His best win is over Foreman, but Foreman had zero boxing ability, no speed, and just power, so style wise, suited Ali down to the ground. I see Ali as being on the Helenius level. Cash in
                Foreman had the best jab, and he won the Olympics after ONE year of boxing.

Didn't use his jab vs Ali though since his plan was to go all out

Comment

Originally posted by The D3vil View Post
                  Ali fought a past his prime Patterson, while he was at his absolute prime.

Ali fought Frazier after being gone 3 years and no longer being able to float like he used to.

Prime Patterson (pre-Liston) gives Ali more of a run for his money
                  A prime Patterson could match Ali in hand and footspeed. He was the fastest heavyweight anyone had ever seen until Ali showed up. That being said, Ali wins by a solid decision: Ali had too many tools, including a big reach advantage. Floyd wasn't an in fighter and he wasn't going to slip into Ali's breadbox and pound the ribcage like Frazier did.

Floyd Patterson is one of my all-time favorite fighters, btw.

Comment

Simply put - Frazier was solid, Patterson wasn't

Comment

Working...
                    X