Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Fist Of Pacman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fist size or bone structure has nothing to do with power. Force or power comes from within. And size won't matter much since they will be wearing more or less the same kind of gloves.

But in bare-knuckle fighting, having a larger fist has a small advantage because it's the fists that comes in contact with the opponent and which lands the blow or punch. So the larger the fists, the bigger the area of contact or the better chances of landing the punch; conversely, the harder the fists (due to bone structure), the harder the blow is felt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugnacious_Z
      im not sure but i have a theory that if u have bigger hands they shud be heavier and u shud have heavier hands. i believe punch force cums from ur bone density and fist size. and dats the first part, then its the speed and how much u weigh
      Im pretty sure #1 is technique lol

Comment

Originally posted by Crouching Tiger
        Fist size or bone structure has nothing to do with power. Force or power comes from within. And size won't matter much since they will be wearing more or less the same kind of gloves.

But in bare-knuckle fighting, having a larger fist has a small advantage because it's the fists that comes in contact with the opponent and which lands the blow or punch. So the larger the fists, the bigger the area of contact or the better chances of landing the punch; conversely, the harder the fists (due to bone structure), the harder the blow is felt.
        Your right the other day ate one plate of beans and I farted the same as when I ate two plates.lol

Comment

Originally posted by BROWN BOMBER
          Your right the other day ate one plate of beans and I farted the same as when I ate two plates.lol
          Bleeeaaach!! I can just imagine the force! Must have been like being hit by Pacman's left hook ten times!!

Comment

Originally posted by JPW
            ITS THE ANGLE OF PICTURE I GUESS.

but more to the point

who cares?
            nah, just brought it up... hehe... well, some answered so they cared, lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Slipx
              smaller fist=

more powerful punch
              obviously a morales nuthugger, hehe, lol.... just messin' with you... or am I?

Comment

Whoever said that fist size and bone structure have nothing to do with power is wrong. It is the sole reason that a fighter's power decreases as they go up in weight. ODLH can weigh just as much as his middleweight opponents but he has a smaller bone structure than those guys and will never have a big punch at that weight.

The boxers whose power remains the same as they go up in weight either a.) hit so hard for their frame size that even when they move up they still have enough "relative power" to be devastating or b.) have a large frame and are just really scrawny (fat and muscle wise) so that they were actually fighting at a lower body weight than was natural for them. When they move up they are actually just filling in and fighting at their natural weight class. ODLH is an example of a natural welter who fought at lightweight and it was obvious when you compared his size to his opponents.

Nearly all of the big time punchers had huge hands. Liston, Dempsey, Louis, Shavers, Foreman. All of these guys had hands that were noticeably large for their bodies. Meanwhile, lighter hitting guys like Tunney and Ali for the most part had hands that were average or even small. Jake LaMotta had notoriously small womanlike hands and he scored only 30 KO's in over 100 fights in spite of the fact that he was an explosive slugger and one of the most savage guys to step into the ring. He had the mentality and body mechanics to be a big puncher, but his hands were just too small.

So hand size does play a part in punching power. It is not the only factor by a long shot (as evidenced by Tua who has small hands but is a huge puncher or Fre Oquendo who has large hands and is a mediocre puncher), but to say it does not figure in at all would be foolish.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
                  So hand size does play a part in punching power. It is not the only factor by a long shot (as evidenced by Tua who has small hands but is a huge puncher or Fre Oquendo who has large hands and is a mediocre puncher), but to say it does not figure in at all would be foolish.
                  You may have some points there, but we may be talking about 2 different things.

As I meant it, the fists (whatever their size or structure are) doesn't have power ON THEIR OWN. You have to give them some kind of force to make it punch. If you don't, they'll just hang lamely on your side, right?. So how do you add power to the punch?

One is correct leverage or pivoting or weight-shifting which transfers weight down at the feet and legs, which in turn sends the hip, which in turn sends the shoulder, and finally the hands or fists.

(Bruce Lee, in one of his movies beautifully demonstrated this technique, and how effective it is regardless of one's size).

Another is proper bone or joint alignment (not structure!). All bones function as perfect transmitters of force. Misaligned, over-tensed, or under-tensed joints will vent off your power. Boxers who wing their punches, for instance, will tend to lose power at the shoulder and elbow. Boxers who bend their wrists when they hook, for another example, will tend to lose the power of that punch at the wrist.

Power in a punch, as in kicks, also comes from good follow-through and not locking out your punches.

There may be more and all these are developed through proper training and exercises.

Good day, amigo!
                  Last edited by Crouching Tiger; 02-22-2005, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I am in agreeance with you 100%. I simply meant that fist size was a factor, but nowhere near the most important.

Comment

Originally posted by Slipx
                      smaller fist= more powerful punch
                      WTF? Are you talking some kinda' new Physics?

Comment

Working...
                      X