Roberto Duran

Roy Jones Jr.

Marvin Hagler

Henry Armstrong

Ricardo Lopez

Floyd Mayweather

Carlos Monzon

Joe Louis (I put him in grudgingly)
    Langford, Marciano and Mayweather should be nowhere near that list. You forgot Jack Johnson, and Benny Leonard MUSTS. Ray Leonard far too high. (he was coked up to his eyes in fights) How could you have Langford and not Johnson, Joe Louis should be in top 3-5. Also forgot Tyson, Niccolino Locche, and Carlos Zarate. His first loss was his 53ed fight getting to career ens, He had 70 fights. his other 3 losses also at the end of his caree ,all to top champions. Archie Moore should be on a list somewhere,.Harold Johnson, The Attels, Canzoneri, Barney Ross, Ted "Kid" Lewis a must, Jimmy McLarnin. ...and so many more. All qualified to be on a top list.

I suggest TWO top 15s or maybe 3-4 lists. One top 15 is impossible. They could be classified as A, A=1, A-2, A-3 etc. all very close together as regards quality.
    Last edited by edgarg; 05-05-2022, 07:22 PM. Reason: Added Ted "Kid" Lewis.

Comment

• Originally posted by wpink1 View Post
      Actually quite the opposite if you must know. I accept the fact that he moved up and no matter who he beat or not beat at lightweight he got in Ray's mind and won a very close good, but still a tremendous accomplishment by duran to step up and beat Ray at 147.

I think Duran is a all time great fighter based on dominance at lightweight
      beating Leoanrd at welter weight,
      and going on and winning titles at 5 different classes.

I actually think more of Duran than people think..However it was several Mayweather fans, and then others..that pointed out the obvious that i failed to really research..when we were debating who would win between Duran and mayweather and who was the greatest.This was done in person with a guy who I really respect a lot. He told me how on one hand could I rank a fighter like ray leonard very high up based on quality of wins....and then on the other hand ..disregard this when it comes to duran who if you look at his resume it is one of the worst ever if you consider that most ..not many but most of his career at lightweight he did dominate by most of his fights were vs fighters that had not reason being inside the ring with Duran.

Now let me quantify...I am doing this not to attack Duran..Please follow me here, and this is not to change opinions.just to try to remove subjectivity...

Fighter a = duran
      fighter b = mayweahter
      fighter c = hopkins.

fighter a = has 71 wins at lightweight however 40 of them are vs fighters with either losing records or very very poor winning percentage..lie 14-11 or so... His best wins are marcil, buchanon, kybashi dejesus.. at lightweight. He also has been dropped twice as a professional and has lost. Many point to his 71 wins with only 1 loss at reason to call him top 5 all time.

Fighter a then moves up and beats a legend in leonard but is 1-5 ver the greats and all of these fights are before he turns 34..

Fighter a goes on to win titles up to the 168 range...

Fighter b is 39-0.. never fights a figher with a losing record after his 9th fight beats corrales, castillo, Hernandez, judah, Hatton and Baldomir...has won titles in 5 different divisions with out a loss. Never lost at any weight or actually been knocked down, he ws called down because his glove hit the canvass once when he had a been hurt not by a punch by his own doing.

How can fighter a be rated about fight 6 only if you factor in two things.his 71 wins at lightweight..However in actuallity most of those wins were vs sparring partners...Simply go look for yourselvs regarding the qualiyt of thos fighters. 2ndly fighter a moved up roughly the same time as fighter b..fighter a get his ass whipped repeatedly by (fighter much better than whom fighter b fought true) but the fact remains he was 1-5 vs the greats...1-5! Fighter b is undefeated....

If you all are going to get on here and slamm mayweather but on the other hand hype up a fighter to knowingly padded his resume on gotti at best type of fighters.....and lose to the leonard 2 out of 3 times..get ko'd by Hearrns..los to benitex and hagler.It is you all that refuse to subjectively look at this..Your saying so what he beat up on 40 bums..and was 1-5 vs the best of his era..duran is at top 3 because of what.....
      Fighter "B'.(I wonder what "b"b stands for..I can make a good guess but it would be starred out)..Anyway, you are wrong. he fought Emanuel Burton in his twenty FOURTH fight, and the guy had about 17 losses, nearly as many as his wins. No mistake Burton had the makings of a great fighter, and if he's had anything a steadier head, and NOT such really feather fists, he could have stretched Mayweather out a few times.

And Duran WAS a great fighter,. He didn't just beat Leonard, Regardless of the score, he outboxed and outpunched him in almost every round. Leonard, on the return, waited until his spies showed that Duran had to take of about 60 lbs in a matter of weeks. Leonard only had to outwait him in the fight. Yet, before Duran gave up in disgust, they were about even in the fight.

Comment

• Anyone who’s 49-0 with 43 ko’s over a 10 year period who dominated the heavyweight division in his time, most definitely should be on the list. And should be near if not on the top of the list.

Comment

• Originally posted by edgarg View Post

Fighter "B'.(I wonder what "b"b stands for..I can make a good guess but it would be starred out)..Anyway, you are wrong. he fought Emanuel Burton in his twenty FOURTH fight, and the guy had about 17 losses, nearly as many as his wins. No mistake Burton had the makings of a great fighter, and if he's had anything a steadier head, and NOT such really feather fists, he could have stretched Mayweather out a few times.

And Duran WAS a great fighter,. He didn't just beat Leonard, Regardless of the score, he outboxed and outpunched him in almost every round. Leonard, on the return, waited until his spies showed that Duran had to take of about 60 lbs in a matter of weeks. Leonard only had to outwait him in the fight. Yet, before Duran gave up in disgust, they were about even in the fight.

good shout about leonard II. Floyd was never a quitter like duran

Comment

• This is a really bad list unless you're like 17 or something.

Comment

Working...
            X