No announcement yet.

Q's on weigh-in

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q's on weigh-in

1. when was the first title fight with the weigh in the day before?

2. when were ALL title fights with the weigh in the day before?

3. were there fighters moving down in weight as a result?

4. do you guys think that the tiem of the weigh i can make a 1 division difference? a 2-division difference? a 0-division difference? to take an extreme case, waht weight would castillo and corrales have been fighting at with same day weighs in?
    Last edited by wmute; 11-03-2006, 07:35 PM. Reason: misspelling in the title

I know it was 1991, don't know the exact fight, the title fight with the rule change, or the last title fight before the rule change.. but it was definately 1991.

Chris Eubank used to weigh upto 185 during camp, and he was fighting at '168', he'd enter the ring at 182-185. He did this by dragging every ounce of liquid from his body in the 24-36 hours before the weigh-in, and then drinking plenty of water between the weigh-in and fight.
    Last edited by GEOFFHAYES; 11-03-2006, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GEOFFHAYES View Post
      I know it was 1991, don't know the exact fight, the title fight with the rule change, or the last title fight before the rule change.. but it was definately 1991.

Chris Eubank used to weigh upto 185 during camp, and he was fighting at '168', he'd enter the ring at 182-185. He did this by dragging every ounce of liquid from his body in the 24-36 hours before the weigh-in, and then drinking plenty of water between the weigh-in and fight.
      Did Eubank ever spit in a cup all day to drain himself? few of my wrestling friends do that two days before weigh-in to cut water weight

Comment

Originally posted by Kayo View Post
        Did Eubank ever spit in a cup all day to drain himself? few of my wrestling friends do that two days before weigh-in to cut water weight
        Draining himself for the first Watson fight- from his book:

I lost 19lb in four days. That was through total abstinence of food and water and full, exhausting training at the same time. There is nothing harder than to train when you have nothing in your stomach - you retch, you feel faint, you are stretching yourself to the limit. When you dry out to that extreme, it is difficult to even blink, your eyes are so dehydrated. I had to periodically plunge my head into a sink of water to sooth the dryness. Four days without food or water makes you retch at your own breath. I used to even have the complimentary fruit bowls removed from my hotel rooms, because just the smell of an apple or orange was torture. The evening before the fight, John Regan was with me in my room at The Coachhouse and I wanted to get a bag off the floor. I couldn't face picking it up, so I asked John to help me. Then I stood up and blacked out.

And, leaping the ropes just before fighting Watson etc..

I strutted up and did my usual vault, brimming with energy, John was in the front row, shaking his head, remembering how exhausted I had been the night before when I asked him to pick up that empty plastic bag.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
          1. when was the first title fight with the weigh in the day before?

2. when were ALL title fights with the weigh in the day before?

3. were there fighters moving down in weight as a result?

4. do you guys think that the tiem of the weigh i can make a 1 division difference? a 2-division difference? a 0-division difference? to take an extreme case, waht weight would castillo and corrales have been fighting at with same day weighs in?
          - -It was after the Mancini tragedy when they went to 12 rd title fights.

The ABCs called in a host of medical experts who concluded fighters didn't have enough time to replenish and rehydrate after the weighin.

I'm all for both measures even as it has altered the size of division fight weights.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
            - -It was after the Mancini tragedy when they went to 12 rd title fights.

The ABCs called in a host of medical experts who concluded fighters didn't have enough time to replenish and rehydrate after the weighin.

I'm all for both measures even as it has altered the size of division fight weights.
            these rules caused even worse problems you imbecile. 😅

Comment

Originally posted by GEOFFHAYES View Post
              Draining himself for the first Watson fight- from his book:

I lost 19lb in four days. That was through total abstinence of food and water and full, exhausting training at the same time. There is nothing harder than to train when you have nothing in your stomach - you retch, you feel faint, you are stretching yourself to the limit. When you dry out to that extreme, it is difficult to even blink, your eyes are so dehydrated. I had to periodically plunge my head into a sink of water to sooth the dryness. Four days without food or water makes you retch at your own breath. I used to even have the complimentary fruit bowls removed from my hotel rooms, because just the smell of an apple or orange was torture. The evening before the fight, John Regan was with me in my room at The Coachhouse and I wanted to get a bag off the floor. I couldn't face picking it up, so I asked John to help me. Then I stood up and blacked out.

And, leaping the ropes just before fighting Watson etc..

I strutted up and did my usual vault, brimming with energy, John was in the front row, shaking his head, remembering how exhausted I had been the night before when I asked him to pick up that empty plastic bag.

This is why I am glad commissions have 30 day weigh in checks and 2 week weigh in checks, to ensure fighters are within reasonable limits. And though we will never get same day weigh ins back, I think mandatory hydration clauses are a good thing, and help mitigate situations where fighters are significantly outweighed in the ring.

Comment

Don't most 'day before weight-ins' now have a of ten pound maximum gain 'fight day' clause/rule attached to them?

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
                  Don't most 'day before weight-ins' now have a of ten pound maximum gain 'fight day' clause/rule attached to them?
                  The IBF (i believe) had that rule-hydration clause. Then Danny Jacobs skipped out on it for the MW title bout against GGG and came in as a cruiserweight. He basically said he’d give up on their belt for the weight advantage and the win.

Since then they have decided to only use the hydration clause in fights they solely sanction.

To me, everyone should use them. An 8%, or 10 lb hydration clause for all fights shouldnt be that hard, allows for fighters to be healthy and rehydrate, and keeps fighters close in weight (which also promotes health).

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Taylor View Post
                    these rules caused even worse problems you imbecile. 😅
                    - -That when U Bum Parents birthed U Bumness?

Got any Bum family pics?

Comment

Working...
                    X